Running with ET: Extensor Tendonitis (Read 63 times)

Hi folks,

Has anyone had any good luck or experience in running through extensor tendonitis? I have no history with this condition.  I haven't seen a doctor yet, but it seems like the classic symptoms.

Last Wednesday, I tried using an old pair of shoes on a short recovery run and think they were just too tight.  I hadn't used them in at least a year as I was trying to avoid getting a second pair of shoes I am currently rotating between wet on a short recovery run. I might have had the laces on the right foot tied to tightly. Later that afternoon I had diffuse swelling on the top of my right foot and it hurt to walk or flex the toes.  The next morning it felt better but still swelling and pain when flexing toes, I took that day off and resumed training the day after.

Since then, I have been icing when I can, threw out those shoes, and re-laced the ones I have been using in a ladder style.  I have been running through it for now as I am in the middle of my Boston Training (Pfitz 18/70).  It doesn't seem to be getting any worse and managed to get through my first 20 miler. The swelling seems about the same but the pain seems to be decreasing when I flex.

I plan to see my physical therapist later this week and ask them to look at it (have had issues with Plantar Fasciitis in the same foot).  I really don't want to take any time off if I can avoid it as I am in the middle of my training. At the same time, this is my first Boston and would hate to not make it to the starting line.  Any advice or experience with running through this would be appreciated. Thanks.

What was I chasing again?

kilkee

runktrun

I don't have any experience with ET, but I do know that letting it heal NOW, maybe at the expense of missing a week of running, and getting to the start line under-trained but healthy is preferable to trying to train through it now and experiencing swelling and flare-up for weeks, and possibly altering your gait and compromising your training through April.

Maybe it's no big deal, but if it's lingering, be smart.  Time off now really won't impact your race in April.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I thought I had ET for a long time, but it turned out it was intermetatarsal bursitis.  Just something to keep in mind if you can't figure out what's wrong with your foot.

Running is dumb.

Nave17

I have run through moderate extensor tendonitis right near my fifth metatarsal. Stretch your calves throughout the day and you should see improvements. Mine was only mildly bothersome on easy runs and a little more bothersome when I ran hard. Frequently stretching my calves made it go away completely. Good luck.

King Plantar

Rest, you're far better off healing before you continue, running through it just sounds like a poor choice all round. Also, go see a doctor, they're mostly useless about this stuff but you might find out something that can help you.