First Half Marathon - Joined a Training Group (Read 466 times)

Question......... please help. I started a half training group on Thursday night and I discovered that I'm running the type of mileage today that the group won't be running until week 10 or 12. First week schedule is 9k. I am not totally cool with that...... I don't want to (and refuse to) reduce my mileage. I'm thinking that I'll join the group for Thursday run (hills, fartlek, and the like) and for their long run on Sunday but continue to run my normal mileage on the other days of the week. Until the groups long runs get "long enough" I was thinking that I'd continue to do my solo long run on Saturday. Thoughts or suggestions on how I should go about my training?
      You can always run more miles on the side... just keep it off the books Big grin

Vim

Go Pre!

Jason, Fellow Torontonian here. AND, I recently instructed a half marathon group. Can't instruct at this time of year though as my schedule is to busy. Which Running Room are you taking your clinic at? I am in the Beaches area. At my clinic, we bumped the mileage up right away. The mileage in the book the Running Room goes by is a bit slight. You can use the group outings as easy recovery runs and do harder longer run on your own time. Really, the best part of Running Room type clinics is the commitment to keep at it, which, judging by your log is not a problem Smile Dave
          Dave, I'm taking the clinic at Commerce Court. I think I will take your advice and use the clinic runs as easy runs... and go hard on my own time. It will be nice to run in a group from time to time....... JR

Go Pre!

cool, so where do you guys begin your Weds and Sun runs? Maybe I will join ya for one. Dave
              All the runs start at the Commerce Court Running Room (30 Wellington Street west) 6:00pm on Wednesday and 8:30am on Sunday. Its tough for me to make it to the Wednesday run..... fighting traffic from north of the city is a bi*ch.

Go Pre!

Ya, it's a tough meeting spot. And pricey for parking! If you ever feel like a trip to the beaches on a Sunday let me know. We have some nice routes around us. Now that kids hockey is in action I have to alternate some Saturdays for Sundays.