Marathon after 5k season (Read 138 times)

joescott

So, sort of the inverse to the question posed on the other thread about super long training runs, I am planning on spending my summer trying to see what I can get to on a 5k, with my peak target being a local Labor Day race that is flat and draws a lot of faster guys.  I'm thinking that my summer long runs won't go over about 15 miles, and my tempo and interval work will be focused around 5k development (so, no long tempo runs; long intervals built for VO2max not strength; plus shorter speedy stuff).

The question then is how crazy is it to turn around 4 weeks after my planned Labor Day race and run the Twin Cities Marathon the first weekend of October.  Many times I have run 5ks off marathon training... just never the other way 'round.  I expect (hope) to be wickedly fit by the end of the summer, just not sure how that will translate over to the long race.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Not crazy at all. If you're not burned out, it should work great.

Runners run

DaBurger

You have a lot of marathon experience over the years.  That strength and fitness doesn't just "go away" because you haven't focused on it for 16 weeks or whatever.

Know thyself.

SubDood

Good luck. One thing to note is that the Twin Cities Marathon is scheduled for October 9th this year, a week later than in most years. "The date for this year's Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon Weekend is a week later than usual, due to the Twin Cities area playing host to the Ryder Cup golf tournament during the first weekend in October."

I'm not qualified to offer advice, but whenever this kind of question comes up, I refer back to this. Suggesting that you may not quite end up with your absolute best marathon performance, but should be pretty damn close.

Dave

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I see no reason not to. I set a marathon PB 3 weeks after setting my indoor mile PB.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

joescott

Thanks, guys.  I think I shall give it a go.  I'll be a little nervous going into a marathon with zero or maybe only 1 20+ miler, but it will be an interesting experiment for me anyway.

Good advice all, and thanks Dave for posting a link to Jeff's good article on the topic.

- Joe

joescott

BTW, wow, $152 including "processing fee".  This marathon thing is getting a bit rich.

- Joe

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

BTW, wow, $152 including "processing fee".  This marathon thing is getting a bit rich.

If it was the Minneapolis marathon, I'd tell you to run.away.now.  As it is, at least you'll get a nice shirt and a real race.

Feeling the growl again

Your total overall mpw average is more important than how long your long runs are.  The first time I broke 2:30 I did not successfully complete a run over 16 miles.  Nor did I break 80 mpw during the buildup.  But I did a much greater amount of quality than normal.

There are many ways to skin a cat.  If you are in great 5K shape but keep your volume up near what you would normal do for a marathon, chances are you'll be fine.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

lagwagon

I agree, you'll have no problem bouncing back in 4wks.  Your base/aggregate volume looks great.  Only suggestion is that it probably wouldnt hurt your 5k goal (and could even help) if you could fit in a longer run (16-20) every 2-3 weeks throughout the summer.

btw, I agree on prices, just signed up for Philly yesterday (similar cost to yours) and was amazed at the 10% convenience surcharge for online registration.  Isnt it their convenience even more than mine?  its as if ticketmaster has taken over race administration...

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

How much is too much? What's the cost of travel and hotel? Or is it a destination or bucket list race?

I think you are looking at burning up your 5k training and then shutting it down into a base build. Am I wrong?

Good luck. I hope you enjoy it. Hammer it.

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

joescott

How much is too much? What's the cost of travel and hotel? Or is it a destination or bucket list race?

I think you are looking at burning up your 5k training and then shutting it down into a base build. Am I wrong?

Good luck. I hope you enjoy it. Hammer it.

Well $140 + $12 "convenience fee" (their convenience or mine!!) just seems really high.  I know I'm going to be in danger of sounding like one of those old geezers, but it *seems* like marathon race entry fees have well outstripped inflation.  In all the marathons I've ever run before this one I don't think I ever spent more than $100 on entry, maybe $110, *except* for Boston, which is always stupid expensive in every possible way.  I am planning to travel cheap (drive up and stay only 1 night in a cheap hotel).  No, it's not a bucket list or destination thing.  It's just one of my favorite marathons I've done in the past.  They usually put on a good race and it can be a fast course if the weather is good, that's all.

Training plan is really not very well thought out for the marathon.  ;-)  I'm going to try to sneak in a 20-22 miler maybe a week or two after my target 5k race, as well as keep the overall volume around 70-80.  Maybe try to sneak in a couple of longer tempo runs, too.

- Joe

DaBurger

it *seems* like marathon race entry fees have well outstripped inflation. 

Not to derail this into an economics discussion, but there's much more to price increases for anything than straight "inflation".

Know thyself.