Body Pump (Read 2291 times)

Kimmie

Anyone here take this class? I am loving it but it is kicking my butt. I keep trying to run either before or after the class and it doesn't seem to work out well. If i run before class, I'm too tired for the rest of the day... after class and I can barely run.... I do try to keep the weights on the lighter side and I don't feel like I'm trashing my legs during the class. I guess the Body Pump days could be my off running days... I just don't want to take running days off. If you take this class or do weight lifting... how do you fit in with running?
      I think it healed my minor runners knee when I was just starting off running a couple of years ago. Now I don't do it, but the light weight, high rep routine is probably good for runners. Weight lifting not so much
        These things must be more complicated than I thought, I didn't figure you would have to take a class.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

I used to lift weight and do some running (mainly speed type drills). I am not sure what Body Pump is, but after you have done both on the same day a few times (let's say 2x a week for 4 weeks) your body should become adapted. Obviously these would be easy runs and yeah you might have a little tightness, but nothing substantial.

My prewash:)

I teach a body pump type class 3 times a week and it is challenging to fit in the running with the muscle soreness. I have found that I usually do better if I run the next day since I do alot of cross training for tri's. Also try and use really light weights. I don't use any weights for my legs and I still get sore occasionally. I hope you keep going because resistance training is so beneficial for our bodies. Smile

"Carpe Diem"

If you take this class or do weight lifting... how do you fit in with running?
              Not familiar with Body Pump so I can't really respond, but I will tell you that I used to lift 4 days per week and was running, but it was pretty hard to fit it all in. Over the past few months I have been increasing my running mileage and am close to the 40 MPW category and I flat out don't have time for both, so finally a couple of months ago gave up my 'Y' membership. Now on my easy day (like that days I run 3 or 4 miles) I have a small weight set (at home) and so I go down stairs and just do a few benches, military presses, sit ups and the like (sometimes)...... Limited time (like everyone) and you end up having to do what you like the best and for me I'd rather use the time running....

Champions are made when no one is watching

I had this image of a bicycle pump attached to various body parts...glad that's not the case Confused what is a body pump class anyways?
                  I had this image of a bicycle pump attached to various body parts...glad that's not the case Confused what is a body pump class anyways?
                  Its a low weight, high rep routine taught at YMCAs. They vary the speed at which you do those reps - regular, half, and quarter speed etc. Usually they work each muscle group for a full song (about 3-4 minutes). Someone who is used to lifting serious weights usually thinks they should be able to pump a 10-20 pound barbell pretty much indefinitely, not so, its just different. Good to develop endurance, not build muscle.
                    My wife teaches Body Pump (and the other Les Mills classes), and I don't know how she does it. She's a beast (mysteriously tucked into a tiny 5'5" frame). I tried it once with half the weight as her and I was in the bathroom losing my lunch 2/3 through.
                    Kimmie

That's awesome LuckyLindy! Smile I love it so I think I will stick with it and just keep figuring out how to do more running too.... I think I need more sleep.