Superhuman or just a good Endurance Runner? (Read 459 times)

Feeling the growl again

That's funny.  I did run the Kauai marathon this past weekend.

Yes, I did pass him at mile 9 or 10 (the downhill portion).  FWIW, I was doing the 1/2 marathon, and he was doing the full marathon, so our game was different.  The split was at mile 10.8.

I didn't see him at the starting line, but I did see him as I passed him.

To counter bhearn's point, I think Bart Yasso was more of the host of the marathon.  He was the one on the pamphlets as a speaker as well as the host at the post race ceremony.  But, maybe Bart took the stage since DK was DQ'd.  Bart took the 1/2 marathon real slow (12:20/mile?)

Also, I didn't even know about the race until 2 days earlier when we arrived in Kauai.

I was not aware you were in different races when you passed him.  But if he were the "superhuman" of the other thread I don't think he would have needed to cheat and still get passed by non-elite and non-goal-race-pursuing HM runners.  Big grin

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

bhearn

Also, I didn't even know about the race until 2 days earlier when we arrived in Kauai.

Is that what you told your wife?

bhearn

Story by Bill Buley, Editor-in-Chief of the Garden Island, and 3AG 2AG in the marathon behind Dean and my friend. Dean's DQ was news to him. It will be interesting to see what details he turns up now.

Running’s Man of Steel

Is that what you told your wife?

In all seriousness, my 20th anniversary was August 28, and we jumped on a plane that morning to get to Kauai.  It was a planned getaway with her.  But, here's the rest of the story as it relates to the Kauai marathon, if you care to read it.  I ran it in memory of one of my dearest friends using his name.  My wife was very supportive of the race run in his memory.  She would not have been supportive of a planned getaway to run the race (on that occasion).

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Story by Bill Buley, Editor-in-Chief of the Garden Island, and 3AG 2AG in the marathon behind Dean and my friend. Dean's DQ was news to him. It will be interesting to see what details he turns up now.

Running’s Man of Steel

His account contradicts my memory of it.  Between mile 8 & mile 10, I passed him going about 7:00 - 7:15 pace.  It was a small enough marathon / 1/2 marathon to keep dibs on the people.  My running buddy was 6 - 10 people in front of me the whole race, and I had him in sight pretty much the whole race.

Once we got to the top of the mountain, It was a fairly consistent flow of runners with only about 10 runners per quarter mile.  DK didn't pass me on the flat portion or the uphill section.  I passed him on the downhill, and there was a very chatty friendly girl that became my running buddy for a few miles (from mile 6 - 10), and she was talking about how awesome it was to pass DK during the race.  I wouldn't have known it was him unless she got in that 2 or 3 minute conversation with him as we passed him.  I just listened to them chat as I was chugging along.

I wasn't overly surprised by his 3:30 finish time considering my finish time of 1:43 and where I saw him.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Weegee

Hi.  First time caller here, or at least somebody who hasn't signed in for a long long time.

Not sure if this link will work, but here's what made me actually pop my head up and say "huh?"

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9JsJ6uBoqt8RnE1Y1h0Q0t5Ykk/edit?usp=sharing

That's Dean on the right, holding the first-place award.

bhearn

Yes indeed. He was pulled from the results the next day.

xhristopher

DK

Every time I see DK in this thread I read it as Donkey Kong. I think the thread is much better that way.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Every time I see DK in this thread I read it as Donkey Kong. I think the thread is much better that way.

Every time I see DK in this thread I read it as DQ and see the curly top of a soft serve cone in

my minds eye.   But then my mind is never far from food.

steph  

xhristopher

Every time I see DK in this thread I read it as DQ and see the curly top of a soft serve cone in

Oh, that's how I read DQ too.

With or without the hard chocolate shell?  That's important, you know!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Dairy King, Dairy Queen.  Sweet!

DaBurger

every time I see DK, I read Donkey Kong

Know thyself.

Run Wild

I'll tell a funny story about DK...

At the start of the North Face Endurance Challenge, Wisconsin 50 miler last year DK was there…

So to set the scene, imagine cold, very early, still dark out, and in the parking lot of state park here in Wisconsin.  Maybe 250 ultrarunners are standing around just trying to stay warm.  In just a few minutes we are going to start a run that will take most of us around 9 or so hrs to complete.  We’re focused and trying to conserve energy.

To people outside of the world of ultras, DK is some superhuman endurance athlete.  To folks who are into running ultras, DK is a moderately talented guy who gets way too much attention.  We really don’t care much about the guy and he is never the topic of conversation.  Ian Sherman was there, by the way.   Personally I was really pumped to be running the same race as that guy!

So 10 minutes before the start the announcer guy (don’t usually have announcers at the start of ultras, but ok) comes on and says, “OK, everyone.  For a little extra motivation here is….”  And he goes on and on about Dean.  He finally says his name and hands the mic over to DK.

Not a single person clapped or acknowledged it at all…  complete silence!

The announcer takes the mic back and says it all again, “here’s Dean K.”

This time there was that slow pity clap from a handful of folks.

The whole scene was funny and sad at the same time.

Oh, and then I ran a 9:30 50 miler, my PR.

He is 1.5% above me as well, but I am guessing maybe the events he has done are more difficult.  If I had run the same set of races as him I'm sure I would be lower.  That might affect his rating.  However, he is no Ann Trason (99.7%) or Scott Jurek (95.1%).

Huh. Well, I've got him beat there. And his ultrasignup rating is not that much better than mine. New career?

"Any idiot can run a marathon. It takes a special kind of idiot to run an ultramarathon." - Alan Cabelly