Lactate test - Re post (Read 959 times)

Why is it sideways?

Jeff .. that makes a lot of sense and also jives with my intuitive take on the training to be done. I dont have so many 5k races where i live so will just replace them with time trials at the local track. My plan is indeed to take it to atleast 60kms a week during the base build phase and then start training with a 12/16 week plan starting end June.

With respect to my original question, perhaps training at a pace where my HR is around 150-160 is a good starting point for the general aerobic runs.

I think that's a good starting point for heart rate (though 140 is the more common number.) Another way to think of it is just run the pace that allows you to get in the mileage and those light workouts without accumulating undue fatigue so that you are ready to start the next week of training. If you start feeling sluggish and unmotivated and heavy-legged, then that means you've been running too hard.

Steady, consistent progress is the name of this game. If you can figure out how to run in a way that keeps you out on the road, enjoying it day after day, then the sky's the limit.

Time trials are okay, but really races are better if you can find them. Time trialing is about the toughest thing mentally that a runner can do.

I might be wrong, but I think that Lactate Test means most of your runs, (at least the ones you want to keep easy, or the longer runs) should be below 150 HR, not 150-164 where your Lactate levels are going up. 

Funny thing is once you have been running a while, the easy paces tend to  correspond to the right HR.  Maybe only beginning runners who are aerobically under developed tend to run at a high HR relative to their Max.

Feeling the growl again

If you look at the label on the line projecting right from 4mmol, you will see it is labeled "max steady state".  By 2mmol is AT or "aerobic threshhold".

Now, they are using estimated values to define these but it's a rough picture of what is going on.  You see that below a HR of about 160, your lactate levels rise very slowly relative to HR.  But above 160 they start to rise much more quickly relative to HR.  I would guess that if you did the math, you are currently capable of racing for an hour at about 11 kph?  I would think for general aerobic runs, according to this, HR<150.  If you approach 160 you are starting to accumulate lactate.  Certainly not your everyday easy run pace.

At and above a HR of ~175-177, you cannot clear lactate as fast as you are making it and levels will rise.  This is the pace you can use for intervals to help train your body to clear lactate better and shift the curve to the right.

Read this.

After further training, you'd hope to see the curve shift to the right.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

<colgroup><col width="81" /> <col width="49" /> <col width="62" /> <col width="66" /> <col span="6" width="62" /> <col width="66" /></colgroup>
          Joe Friel  Training Zone Approximations

TRUE

Zones (Based on Lactate Threshold - LT) Zone 1 Zone 2 Zone 3 Zone 4 Zone 5a Zone 5b Zone 5c
          Zones by Heart Rate < 150 150 - 157 158 - 165 167 - 174 176 - 180 181 - 187 > 187
          Zone Pace / km < 6:44 6:44 - 5:57 5:54 - 5:32 5:29 - 5:10 5:13 - 5:04 5:01 - 4:42 > 4:42
          Calc LTHR 176
          TRUE
          176   Calc FTPa 8:24
          FALSE
          7:15

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

That cut and paste didn't work so well.

Joel Friel's HR training zones and paces calculated from an LT of 176 and HM race time of 1:53:55

Zone 1 = < 150 HR, < 6:44/km

Zone 2 = 150-157 HR, 6:44 to 5:57 pace

Zone 3 = 158-165 HR, 5:54 to 5:32 pace

Zone 4 = 167-174 HR, 5:29 to 5:10 pace

Zone 5a = 176-180 HR, 5:13 to 5:04 pace

Zone 5b = 181 - 187 HR, 5:01 to 4:42 pace

Zone 5c = > 187 HR, > 4:42 pace

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Turbolegs

Thanks Spaniel. I can race for an hour at about 12.2-12.3 kph. Your workouts on improving lactate clearance is in line with Jeff's suggestion of doing quick/fast strides once a week. I do strides off an on, but i very rarely do intervals - i have come to view them as something that i dont need that at the current level of aerobic fitness or lack thereof. I plan to start doing intervals once i have been running consistently for several months at atleast 60-70 kms a week.

Burnt Toast - Thanks for taking the effort to post the training zones here. I will google to find out, out of curiosity, what the recommended time spent in each training zone is for a weekly schedule.

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.