Running Shorts - Length (Read 3168 times)

DW kindly bought me two pairs of running shorts when I asked if she could get me 'sweat wicking shorts' while she was out.   The are pretty nice in that they have the built-in skippies. The thing is, one pair goes down to my knees the other slightly covers my knees.  I notice that runners at races generally run in much shorter shorts.  

Does length matter in terms of the running experience?

P.S. SRL, I am sure you will squeeze at least 2 or 3 funnies from my question, but I know you also have some good advice too...

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Tyler S

Length and experience have no correlation at all. It is complete preference as to whether one wears long shorts or shorter ones. Most runners that have been running it for a while stop caring about length because it is unimportant. Others can be more modest and wear longer shorts. It comes down to comfort.
      wyerock

I thought it was about heat.  The more naked you are, the "cooler" you are.
        Marylander

Personally I wear longer ones to keep my legs from rubbing together (and so I don't have to remember to vaseline my legs). Of course, some shorts have seams in just the wrong place so they end up not working for me as running shorts...

Kirk

Anything longer than this is hurting your performance:

Seriously though, I always wear shorts that are about halfway down to my knees.  Anything shorter and I find myself "flapping in the breeze" on occasion.
              Thanks to you all very much.  I took one of them out for a test drive today.  I have to say that I experienced some serious chafing (including at a place modesty precludes me from mentioning).  

Might it help to wear boxer briefs, even though these things have built-in underpants?  

Most of my regular runs have everday shorts slightly above knee.  Have been running races in a pair of midlength raceready shorts...i think 4 inch inseam which is about right to keep cool/freemovement without looking like short-short man.

My first pair of running shorts i bought where way short ( 1 - 2inch inseem maybe) and did not notice till I was running and felt like I was running with no pants on.

So like others said its really whatever makes you comfortable.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Giant Flaming Dork

Might it help to wear boxer briefs, even though these things have built-in underpants?

Well in my experience, wearing boxer brief underneath just turns me into a raw, chaffed mess (is that TMI?).  Even if they are wicking boxer briefs. YMMV.  I usually don't wear anything under the shorts.

I like the 5" inseam - as I am a larger individual.  4" is too short on me.  

http://xkcd.com/621/

Cashmason

Cotton boxers will absorb your sweat,  and chafe the heck  out of  "the boys".

Target and Wal mart sell synthetic boxers that work fine for running to keep the legs from chaffing. Some have seams that rub me the wrong way,  other brands work perfectly.  Depends on your body shape whether the seams on one brand will rub or not.

Lots of runners use compression shorts under their running shorts.

Road Runner Sports and I am sure other running stores  sell  Nike and house brand running shorts with liners that are as long as the pant leg.

Most running companies also have what they call running underwear, which are just wicking boxers.

Thanks to you all very much.  I took one of them out for a test drive today.  I have to say that I experienced some serious chafing (including at a place modesty precludes me from mentioning).

This seems to be a function of different shorts. I have one pair that always chaffs from the briefs on the inner thigh, while other pairs never do even on long runs. I try to use this pair for less than 5 mile runs.

Might it help to wear boxer briefs, even though these things have built-in underpants

Totally defeats the purpose of the poly liner... you don't want to be running in soggy cotton shorts or you may really experience some great chaffing! I have 4, 5  and 7 inch inseam shorts. I bought the longer because of deeper pockets to put stuff in during runs.  Races I am tending to go more toward the shorter lengths, but anything is fine.

I just did this very thing in last weeks marathon.  Had bought a couple pair of reebok whicking boxer briefs a week or so before marathon (I know not a good idea to change that soon before race), because I had some chaffing on right inner thigh (Not sure how only got 1 side??) but it was like the short material would get bunched up.

Anyways ran marathon with these shorts under the raceready shorts and had no chaffing issues/discomfort.  I would not have tried this if it were much warmer, but with 45 - 55 degrees felt it would not be an issue.  Plus these reebock briefs have a nice mesh area in the part that counts, to allow for breathing and comfort and the race ready inner liner is extremly thin.

I also doubled up on socks as have 1 pair of extremly thin socks and wore under a pair of medium thick socks for extra cushion and avoid any rubbing.  Again not 1 blister and feet were in perfect shape!

i would say give the boxer briefs (buy the wicking kind and alsmost like light compression shorts with mesh front).... Cant be any worse then the chaffing you got right!

MTA --- also Nader dont let the DW see that Chafing area or now she won't let you run outside when its hot/sweaty either.  You missed your window of nice 58 - 59 degree days

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Thanks everyone!  I just might give those compression shorts a try.  And, Rob, that advice re: DW is spot-on. Ha!

I had some chaffing from a run a couple days ago, so yesterday for my 10 miler, I wore compressions just to stop the chaffing (that worked really well for me and probably will for you)  -- but they were pretty hot on a nice warm summery type of day...

As far as the length is concerend, I don't think it really matters, but the longer short that come to the knees or below the knees seem to long to me ---- while my son loves them that way and will only run in the longer one (9").    I personally like the mid length -- and have a pair of the really short ones for races (but every time I put them on my whole family protests)...

I'm pretty sure that as far as running shorts length, it just all personal taste....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Crash

OMG.... the people around me are about to call the men in white suits with nets at my laughter.....

That is the funniest pic I've ever seen in my life...

Anything longer than this is hurting your performance:

Seriously though, I always wear shorts that are about halfway down to my knees.  Anything shorter and I find myself "flapping in the breeze" on occasion.

-Chris

http://www.runningafterdaylight.com

kcam

I've noticed that chafing occurs with certain shorts but not others.  I never wear anything under my running shorts, I figure the liner is good enough.

Shorts length is all about personal taste.  I have some shorts that I bought years ago and at the time I bought them I remember thinking that they were VERY long.  Now when I put on those shorts I feel like I'm wearing racing shorts.  Actually one of the pairs of shorts I used to think were too long nowadays I only dare use for racing.  Funny how perceptions change!