Head for the hills...it's another newbie! :P (Read 1580 times)

The young Mama Bear!

Hi folks, I was referred here by a person trying to help me get into the C5K program correctly. For most of my life, I convinced myself that I hated running and I would never be good at it. However, recently I got the bug and I can't wait to run tomorrow! I am 19 years old and 213 lbs. (I'm correcting that right now) and I have quite a few questions, so forgive me in advance! I am but a young grasshopper. Big grin 1) I can barely jog for a minute, even though I am pretty fit for my weight. It's somewhat disappointing! I hoof it up stairs but I can't run? =( 2) My stride is short when I jog. I understand that trying to open it up too much is just asking for trouble, but are there tips to lengthen it just a little? I have short legs to begin with. 3) I am trying to keep my feet landing midsole and roll with the ball of my foot off the ground. Correct? 4) I cannot run without water. I don't really want a belt, so are there any good alternatives? 5) I'd like a heart rate monitor without a chest strap that's not $300. Any product raves? 6) I have flat feet, but the shoes I wear (New Balance 411...I know, they're old Surprised ) don't hurt my feet whatsoever. Usually that's the problem when I run...but nothing. Do I still need to get fitted at a running store? Thanks for any of your help, I know that's a lot! - Lauren Smile
    Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
    Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.

A Saucy Wench

1) I can barely jog for a minute, even though I am pretty fit for my weight. It's somewhat disappointing! I hoof it up stairs but I can't run? =( Run slower. Really. So slow you go "this is barely moving I could WALK faster than this" and then take walk breaks...fast ones 2) My stride is short when I jog. I understand that trying to open it up too much is just asking for trouble, but are there tips to lengthen it just a little? I have short legs to begin with. 3) I am trying to keep my feet landing midsole and roll with the ball of my foot off the ground. Correct? Just run. Dont try to tweak your stride or your anything. Do what feels natural 4) I cannot run without water. I don't really want a belt, so are there any good alternatives? You really CAN run without water for quite awhile. But HERE I dont like things in my hand but if you dont want a belt. But try to get used to doing short runs without water. After awhile you will get used to it. 5) I'd like a heart rate monitor without a chest strap that's not $300. Any product raves? I cant help you bere 6) I have flat feet, but the shoes I wear (New Balance 411...I know, they're old Surprised ) don't hurt my feet whatsoever. Usually that's the problem when I run...but nothing. Do I still need to get fitted at a running store? YES - they may not hurt your feet now when you are running just a little, they may hurt your knees or hips later

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

5) I'd like a heart rate monitor without a chest strap that's not $300. Any product raves?
        This is not a rave and I do not know the accuracy of this device but it is a heart rate monitor without a chest strap and I guess a decent price. (Full disclosure - I'm a trainer for CVS/pharmacy and this is a new product for our stores we advertised it for Father's Day.) http://tinyurl.com/6qpsh6 MTA: This is the link for a mid-sized watch, it is also available in full-size for the same price. Hope this helps and like Ennay said Slow is the way to go.
          Congratulations on starting to run. I was a nonrunner for 47 years before I decided to give it a go - now I'm hooked. I started running last spring and have not stopped. 4) About the water - I ran all last spring and summer with a water bottle bottle in my hand - I just hated the cotton mouth feeling which will stop my running way before a sore knee or exploding lungs. I can slow down for those, but if I couldn't get a swallow of water I was in trouble. I guess it took me awhile to get used to running hydrated, which means staying hydrated all the time. Seriously, if I'm going to run in the morning, I make sure to drink plenty the night before. This summer I rarely take a water bottle unless its a long run or over 80 degrees. You get used to it, but it took me awhile. 6) Get good shoes! Your feet (and knees and back) will thank you about 100 miles from now. Go to a running store and get fitted. Good luck. Lakerunner
          runnerclay

Consistently Slow

5) I'd like a heart rate monitor without a chest strap that's not $300. Any product raves?- Lauren Smile performancebike.com Sports Instruments Pro 9 Heart Rate Monitor $49.99

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

performancebike.com Sports Instruments Pro 9 Heart Rate Monitor $49.99
              Although this is a great HRM, which I used for a long time before upgrading to my Garmin 305, please note that the SI watches do use a chest strap for the heart rate measurement.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Hi folks, I was referred here by a person trying to help me get into the C5K program correctly.
                I'm starting week 8 of C25K. Check out the link in my signature below and come join the C25K group here. Smile
                1) I can barely jog for a minute, even though I am pretty fit for my weight. It's somewhat disappointing! I hoof it up stairs but I can't run? =(
                I heard an explanation of this once. Running involves more impact and more jarring of bones/joints/connective tissue. C25K is great for keeping you from pushing too much. It does get easier. Just stick with it.
                4) I cannot run without water. I don't really want a belt, so are there any good alternatives?
                Another option is to plan runs with water fountains along the route. A lot of parks have fountains; it's just a case of finding out where there are so you can plan a route.
                6) I have flat feet, but the shoes I wear (New Balance 411...I know, they're old Surprised ) don't hurt my feet whatsoever. Usually that's the problem when I run...but nothing. Do I still need to get fitted at a running store?
                My shoes didn't bother me either, but not long into C25K, my left knee got really sore and I took about a week off to get better. When I did get fitted for proper shoes, wow! Did I ever notice the difference. I didn't realize how beat up the cushioning was in my old pair. It's worth getting new shoes. Properly fitted new shoes will keep you running longer. Welcome! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

The young Mama Bear!

Thanks, everyone! Big grin
                  Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                  Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                    EXCELLENT that you have started Goddess....... At 19 and 200 + LBS, you will find running will start knocking those lbs off....and people in your situation will make great improvements and wil notice your improvements quickly. Don't worry about the fact that you can only run a minute (now) just chug along nice and slow and enjoy that every time you do, you are getting better.........you should be able to go out for 30u minutes without water and even though it may feel uncomfortable at first, after a couple of weeks you will be fine - If you really need to bring some, then its not that bad to freeze 1/2 of a bottle to ice and then fill with water and carry it...little bit of a pain, but it works.. You are brand new to running and currently carrying a few too many pounds so dont even think about stride.......just keep running (slow and with your short stride - be proud of it) and as you get stronger and lighter, your stride will improve......dont let people tell you you are slow (family and friends can ofter be your worse enemy)........DONT LISTEN TO THEM --- there isn't a RUNNER that will say it and what non runner say, we dont care about... If you need people to uplift you - post your accomplishments in here.....if you go to the look what I can do section and post that you ran for 5 minutes for the very first time, you will be surprised at what a great and positive response you will get from all of the runners. Make sure you have good shoes...the only piece of running equipment that's important - you must have good quality shoes... Running programs like the C5K are GREAT, but they are canned...so if you are having trouble progressing as quickly as the program says, dont worry - just repeat weeks if you need to and STAY OUT THERE>.. keep us posted.....I love it when new people like you start running.......

Champions are made when no one is watching

zzz

Hey Goddess... Congrats on starting the program. I, like you, just started the C25K and have several several extra pounds to leave at the road side. I hated running too and then decided to train for an 8K last year and LOVED it.... i took time off after a girlie surgery and now have to start back at square one but whatever it's cool. Good luck and listen to all the great advice you just got.... a YES on the new shoes... it's fun to shop for them anyway. Wink
                      Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Goddess, good luck on your running journey. You'll be amazed at how the C25K program works. And, talking with others on RunningAhead.com is a great thing to do - you'll get good advice when you ask for it and lots of motivation and cheers when you need it. No matter how hard it may feel, YOU CAN DO IT!

TRUST THE PROCESS

Congrats on getting started! As far as the HR monitor, if I may ask, why no chest strap? Without a chest strap, you only get your HR when you put your fingers on the electrodes, so the information you have is limited. With a strap, you get continous feedback. Most folks do not find the strap bothersome after a very short adjustment period. I hardly notice mine at all now. Another reason I mention a HR monitor with a strap is that it can really help with the slowing down issue. Like most everyone said, don't be afraid to slow down. I thought I was going slow enough until using my HR monitor regularly and learning how to actually go slow. Don't give a thought to your time. Lots of folks on here started out running 14,15, or 16 minute miles. If your HR dictates it, don't be afraid to go even slower if necessary. It will take time to build, but you will see an improvement in how fast you can go at a given HR. It might take a month or two before you notice, but 6 months from now, you'll look back and hardly believe the progress you've made. Keep it up. Smile
                          Brandon

The young Mama Bear!

Guys, I'll have you know that I just finished Week 1 of C25K! I would have never thought I would even be able to jog briskly (and sometimes, not going to lie, jog very slowly) for 60 seconds! I even ended my session with a work-up to Week 2 - jogging for 90 seconds. It was very slow but I did it. Without the help of you guys and the equally wonderful people on CC, I would have stopped midway today. Thanks so much! Big grin John A, thank you!! Unfortunately, I'm not losing much weight, especially since I started running. I have a pretty solid body (very bulky legs and very muscular calves) and I gain muscle without thinking about it. But I did get fitted for shoes, which hurt my feet at first but now are a godsend. I even followed your advice and was proud of my short stride today! Smile Turtlechick, I'm proud that you and I are on the same path...good luck on your journey as well! Kerry, I read your advice and midway through my workout I felt like stopping. I thought how can I ever finish this? I'm overweight and I just want to stop and walk home! but that (along with everyone else) and the podcast helped me finish with ease. I wanted to do even more! Thank you so much! ETA: Noteye, I actually learned that I had to stop with the strapless ones...I was shocked! So I caved and got a Polar F4. It's a splurge for me, but I always hear good things about it. And thank you for that, I'm pretty slow on my feet but my goal is endurance. My first mile was around 15 minutes jogging/walking and I hope that when I can jog for 15+ minutes, I can shave that down quite a bit. My best mile time was 13 minutes, so I'm trying to get under that. Thanks again!! I have a few questions: 1) Since I have pretty flat feet, I got fitted and chose Brooks Addiction 6's. Any opinions on them? 2) I know I'm thinking ahead, but the jump from 5-8 minutes ---> 25 minutes is SCARY. How did you guys do it?!
                              I know I'm thinking ahead, but the jump from 5-8 minutes ---> 25 minutes is SCARY. How did you guys do it?!
                              It was very scary at the time. But, when you finally get there, be prepared to surprise yourself. Until then, try not to worry about it too far in advance. Take it easy, and repeat the weeks leading up to that step if you feel like you need to.
                              Brandon