Higher mileage feels easier? (Read 1118 times)

I'm about to go over 30 mpw for the third week straight and this is the highest mileage I've ever run. I even hit 35 miles in a 7 day period counting backwards from yesterday. What I find strange is that it feels much easier than running 20-25 mpw. Has anyone else experienced this? Even 40 mpw doesn't seem like it's going to be much harder.
    mikeymike

Yes. I feel like I get in much more of a rythm at higher mileage than lower and everything feels easier and I have fewer little aches and pains.

Runners run

JakeKnight

Yes. A thousand times yes. "Run more" is the answer to just about everything. It's the '42' of running. Like you, I feel better at 50 mpw than at 25, I run better, I run easier, eat better, avoid injury better, stay healthier, and feel better about just about everything. My legs feel stronger, my races are faster. It may seem counter-intuitive, but its true. There's a point at which you'll find diminishing returns, of course. For me its around 70 mpw. But I am now convinced that staying at the 40-60 range most of the time is better for everything. You'll find your own perfect range, obviously, but its there - and its probably higher than you think. I don't even taper much anymore. Running a 90 mile week the week before a marathon didn't bother me a bit (not that I'm exactly advising it). Bump this thread up in a few months when you're doing 40 or 50 mpw. I want to see if you're feeling even better. As long as you're careful, I'll bet you will be.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

I find I also feel more motivation to run and that the workouts become exciting to do. Its fun to be building mileage, rather than trying to "just" get in the minimum weekly mileage. I also eat better, feel better, am more rejuvinated, and become more inspired to get out and run!

Lia's Daddy

I agree as well. I have been steadily increasing my base for the last couple of months (since recovering from an injury) and feel better than ever. In fact I'm thinking about adding a 6th day in the next couple of weeks. Just an easy couple of miles maybe the night before my long run. Of course for me, running slower has been the most beneficial change in my running. I feel like I could run everyday if I am just willing to make a few of those runs really SLOW! Now, If I can just get my family to understand that I 'll be better off if I run more Roll eyes
            "Stadiums are for spectators. We runners have nature and that is much better." Juha "the Cruel" Väätäinen
            C-R

I also eat better, feel better, am more rejuvinated, and become more inspired to get out and run!
              I will hit my 3rd week of over 35 and I agree with the better part. I ran 6 yesterday and it felt like a glide. Looking forward to my six today. Don't know about the eating better thing but at least I don't feel as guilty. Hey with three kids under the age of ten - mac and cheese, pizza, and hotdogs are a staple of our diet. Now to start running doubles once per week next week to try that on for size.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

The Greatest of All Time

I don't even taper much anymore. Running a 90 mile week the week before a marathon didn't bother me a bit (not that I'm exactly advising it).
                Big grin
                all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

A Saucy Wench

Yes. The first 3-4 miles of every run suck. I run 5 days a week including a long run. A 20 mile week for me would be something like 3-4-3-4-6 - So out of 20 miles 2 would not feel like shit and 4/5 runs would completely suck. On 40 mpw, I am more like 6-8-6-8-12. Some good stuff every day to keep me coming back.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Although I can't say for sure that 100 mpw would feel easier than 55-60 since I've never done it, I can say without question that my runs feel better and I recover quicker on 55-60 than 30. It is actually more logical than it might seem; when you run more you become more fit, and when you become more fit running is easier!
                    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

The Greatest of All Time

It also might be because you're at that magic mileage per week number where you experience the greatest increase in fitness by adding 10 miles per week. Going from 25 to 35 mpw reaps more benefits overall than going from 50 to 60. You're simply becoming more fit and more economical, thus making your runs easier. It's a nice feeling too, so enjoy it.
                      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Prophet!

i feel like crap when i hit 50, but hopefully someday it will be easier.
                          Thanks for the replies. I'll keep y'all updated on how I feel after I move up to 40-50.
                            One more with the exact same feeling. Ever since I went from 20-25 MPW to 30-35 MPW, been noticing my easy run paces have dropped from 10:30-11:00 min to 10:00-10:20 in the last month. I think this might be due to running 5-6 days as opposed to 4 times a week earlier (or is it the nice spring weather?). This is the biggest improvement I have seen in my 2 years running and has given me the motivation to go for 40 Miles this week.
                              I ran a marathon in January and peaked at about 40 miles for three weeks. I'm now training for Grandma's. Last week I ran 55. I'll probably run between 60 ad 65 per week in May. Without a doubt my easy runs are easier, and I've set a two new PRs at the 5K distance. That said, I'm finding I need more sleep and am more often tired. Runners' world has an interview with Deena in which she mentioned that she sleeps 8+ hours per night and takes a good nap in the day. Wow, I'm jelous.
                                I find I also feel more motivation to run and that the workouts become exciting to do. Its fun to be building mileage, rather than trying to "just" get in the minimum weekly mileage. I also eat better, feel better, am more rejuvinated, and become more inspired to get out and run!
                                That is exactly where I am now--"just trying to get in the mileage". Oh, and I am not even at the 30 mpw range yet. I was just thinking about this the other day...it seemed that when I was running alot, about 9 years ago, I had no problems running, or even thinking about running. It had become a part of my day, and nothing would be allowed to get in the way of my noon time run. I could run longer/faster (for me), and looked forward to it. Long story short (layoff from running), I am back on the path, and the low miles that I put in seem to be drudgery--just those miles I have to put in to get back to where I once was.
                                Dorsey

San Diego 1997: 4:59:59, San Diego 1999: 4:37:23, Carlsbad 2008: 6:32:21, America's Finest City Half Aug 2008: ??

"Run if you can. Walk if you must. Crawl if you have to. Just don't give up."