finding a street route with no traffic (Read 553 times)

Finbarr

sometimes I want to run to the store, but i want to take the neighborhood streets, not the big 4 lane street. Also, the store is about 2 miles, and I'd like to extend it to maybe 3, so that would mean some extra looping around the neighborhood. I'd love to be able to put in a starting point, an ending point, select something like "fastest route," "longest route" "no traffic route" and a target distance, and have the map pop out a decent route that fits that description. Can that be done with Google maps? I know that Mapquest's API allows you to select the kind of routes, but I don't know about the other thing. I don't know if its technically possible with the available tools. If you think it's possible, please let me know. then I can just wait for you to implement it. Smile thanks!!!
    eric :)

Finbarr, I currently do not have this type of data. The Google maps is just that. A bunch of maps in the form of pictures that you can pan around in. I can probably get access to the needed data, but it will take a lot of work. The site is still missing a lot of easy to create features so I'll be working on that first before getting to the fancy stuff like route generation. eric Smile
      Pheidippides

Just an idea to add: Yahoo do traffic (with API), you could regularly scrape any routes that have been checked 'check for traffic' or indeed, cities requested. You can make a cumulative taffic analysis, do some GDI work and make a map overlay PNG based on recent traffic activity. This implementation now comes to one of my favs: I just entered temperature on one of my runs... perhaps you can get forcast weather by entering long-lat into wunderground, pulling out predictions for your route (average across points? first point only? :-) ) and show a 3 day forecast for every route!! awesome Also, save history for every route (perhaps optimize with a relationship to 'area') so when you remember to enter saturdays run on monday morning at office, you have a history of temp, conditions, cute icons (I volunteer to make them!) and other fantasticness. Just ideas, -4 low priority. 8 Ball
        Finbarr

Finbarr, I currently do not have this type of data. The Google maps is just that. A bunch of maps in the form of pictures that you can pan around in. I can probably get access to the needed data, but it will take a lot of work. The site is still missing a lot of easy to create features so I'll be working on that first before getting to the fancy stuff like route generation. eric Smile
          Okey doke. Thanks.