Shoe recommendation for Over Pronation (Read 540 times)

Darla1

Hi All, I've been running in Asics Gel Kayano and have had good luck, until now. I'm training for my first marathon so trying to run lots of miles. I think I'm getting shin splints. I have pain on the lower inside of legs. Not horrible, but a bit uncomfortable. After some online research I wonder if I should be running in a motion controlled shoe. So I'm thinking of switching. I have very low arches and my feet do turn in. Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks, Darla
      I have had the same problems in the past and I run in Saucony Grid Stabil.

The young Mama Bear!

I have the same foot type you do - low arches. I don't know if you have flat feet as well, but I run in Brooks Addiction 6's, and as much as I like them, they're bricks. They're one of the best motion-control shoes, but there are some downs to them. For one, they tend to be heavy and inflexible. Get fitted at a local running store...the proof is in your first run with the shoe.
        Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
        Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.

Old, Slow, Happy

I have very flat feet. I use the Brooks Beast. I have used them for 2 years. I can buy a new pair and use them immediately for long runs. They don't need any break-in time. They are heavy but I guess I'm just accustomed to them.
            I'm running in the Asics Gel 2130 (one step below the Kayano in terms of stability). I too have low arches and overpronate. I'm going to be getting custom orthotics to deal with my overpronation and arch support, as I'm told my feet are so bad mechanics-wise, that I won't be able to find a shoe to correct my problem and keep me free of injury. FYI, the reason I had a consult was due to posterior shin splints, just as you are describing, pain on the inside of my lower leg. It is a function of the flat feet/overpronation problem as well.
            2009 Goals:
            PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
            Run a 10K
            Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
            Complete my first Sprint Tri
              Although I have high arches which are breaking down somewhat, I am currentely using some custom sports inserts which are comfortable but not as hard as normal custom orthopedic inserts. If I don't use the inserts then it feels like I am fighting my stride, so I like a pair of shoes that has a lot of heel cushion to jack up the back of my foot and get it rolling properly. My favorite pair of shoes of all time are the Ascic Nimbus, but they changed style and I havn't bought 8, 9 or 10, the 7's were very different than the 4 and 5 and 6. That said, I am leaning on going back to Ascic's because the Nike Vomero's are just not working out, so its a lot of trial and error also. You may want to start with a stability shoe and then try a motion control.
              Darla1

Thanks everyone for the advice. I did buy green superfeet insoles and really like these. I just don't think they have the arch support I need. I'm taking all of your advice and heading to a running store tomorrow. I can not afford to miss any running, so I've got to get this figured out before icing and handfull of ibuprofen does not take care of the pain. Thanks again, I appreciate your responses. Darla
                lostinthenet3

MM#1869

I use the Asci's 2120 and my orthoics. I thought one I got the ortho's I would no lomger need the stabilty shoes and went out on my own and bout a nutral shoe. Got all sorts of knee, shin problems. Went back to running store got fitted again this time with orthics and they still recommended the same shoe as before. It's been working for me. Doug.

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."