Bloody Running (Read 562 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

I know there have been numerous threads on running after donating blood, but I wanted to add this one... I donated blood saturday early afternoon (like around 1pm). Big grin It then occurred to me, as I was getting hooked up, I was scheduled for a long run that day, which I had already put off because I was out at a bachelor party Friday night until 4am and only ended up getting 4 hours of sleep (I just could not sleep past 8 for some reason saturday). Dead Anyway, I asked the Dr if I could run later that night. He said no. I said, but I NEED to run later tonight. How long till I can run? He said, wait till tomorrow. I said, what it if is really late tonight? I run a lot, I'm not like an average person who never exercises. I run marathons and need to train! At this point I think he was getting (understandably) annoyed with me and said, Well, if it is below 70 degrees and very latetonight, then try it, but you might pass out. I said, ok, thanks. I'll pay close attention to my body. Then he stuck the needle in my arm. Anyway, I waited a few hours, drank a lot of fluids and ate a late lunch and then at 4:30pm I decided to go for my run. I could not wait any longer, I was getting antsy and thought if I put it off, I'd skip it entirely. I managed 8.5 miles. Thought I'd only manage 4, but I kept at it. I wanted to do 15 but could not. I was too tired, too sluggish. I managed to pull a sub 8 min pace, but that was a struggle. Then again, I did only have 4 hours of sleep, it was still in the mid-80s and humid as hell. So I am sure all that played a big factor. Oh, and I still am recovering from 3 cracked ribs. Black eye Needless to say, I did not pass out, my arm did not start bleeding (that was the other thing the Dr said might happen, since I had by then taken the bandage off) and I did not feel sick. So, my point is, always run. no matter what ;-)

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

Menace to Sobriety

On the days when I donated blood, I always made sure I did my run prior to donating.Then if I felt like going easy the next day, or even taknig it off, I could, but would have close to 24 hours recovery. It can make it hard for them to find a vein, sometimes, though. Its all moot now, since I can't donate anymore, but that's what worked for me in the past.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.