Having trouble staying sidelined. Any suggestions? (Read 457 times)

About 9 days ago I was running at night down my usual route when a dog startled me - he's on a line and I should have anticipated that, but I landed hard on my left leg and hurt my knee a bit. I kept running for a bit before I decided I may have done something and walked on home (argghh). I took it easy for a few days, just elliptical, and a ski trip, but it is still bothersome, sore and stiff. I really want to run, but I'm thinking I'd like it to heal first. Any advice on how long to wait? Should I scratch the 4 mile race I was hoping to do on the 8th? -Hobbled and hating it.
      My two cents - and you can see I'm a beginner so there will probably be much better advice from others - think about how if you let it completely heal, you won't in the long run lose any more time running. I hurt my calf muscle in February and after a week I felt that it was almost okay to run. My husband, who has a much more extensive history of running, biking and other sports, said wait, make sure it is 100%. From his experience, trying to get back out on a half healed injury means more injury and longer lay-up time in the long run. That was enough to keep me in the house for a week . Every time I though about going out I said the mantra over and over "Let it Heal." I did walk a lot to try and keep busy, as that didn't hurt (but then I got scared to run worring about reinjury, but that's another problem Smile ) I'm back out and no problem so far. I'd say wait till Wednesday or Thursday to rule in or out the 8th.
        Thanks SueE, I guess I will wait. It's just such a rare, beautiful running day here - I'll go out and do some errands so I won't be tempted to throw caution to the wind, lace up the running shoes and run. I'm torn between trying to HTFU, or being smart about an injury. I'll go for smart - today anyway!