Winter 2011 Comet: Wind Protection For Men's Unmentionables (Read 1069 times)

I tried searching, but I get crap from 2007 and whatnot.

Don't knock 2007, that was actually a good year.  Both of my pairs of windblocker boxer-briefs are from circa 2007.  I have on pair from Craft and one from Sugoi (I think).

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

Not so fast.  I can throw terms into Google all day long.  I wanna know what WORKS (and what doesn't).  Come on, Enlightened Men of RA, step forward and talk about your ... gear.

I used to run in waist deep snow uphill both ways on Lake Superior.  If it's good enough for me to consider the discussion over, consider that a definitive product endorsement.

Socks may work for those namby pamby east coast winters....

Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I tried searching, but I get crap from 2007 and whatnot.

I like to run.  I don't like to run in pants or even tights, although I will bust out the latter if it gets down near freezing.  I don't like the pain in the nether region that occurs during freeze-down and especially thaw-out.

So what's the current fave for protection of the bits?  I cruised RunningWarehouse and noticed only one brief among a gazillion boxer-briefs of various inseams.  Any ... um ... "jailbreak" issues with boxer-briefs as compared to briefs or built-in shorts liners?

http://thermajock.com/

I think that this may be the solution you're looking for.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Prince of Fatness

I was sort of joking when I mentioned the sock.  Seriously though, for me it's all about layers.  I've run in below zero wind chills plenty of times and if I have enough layers on I am fine.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

I was sort of joking when I mentioned the sock.  Seriously though, for me it's all about layers.  I've run in below zero wind chills plenty of times and if I have enough layers on I am fine.

Layers certainly help, though where I live now the wind would cut through any number of layers if there is not real wind-stopping protection (which wind briefs provide).  Plus, I'm just one of those people that HATES extra layers on my legs.  I'll wear more on top but my legs always have the minimum that I can get away with.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xhristopher

Stuff a sock down your shorts.

I need a new trick -- the people at work have caught on to that one.

I'll wear more on top but my legs always have the minimum that I can get away with.

+1

Collating all the suggestions here, apparently I should be looking for a wind sock.  I'll try the Sugoi stuff; in the interest of TMI, I won't report back.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

All this for our frozen tundra land with low temps around 25 at worst?.   Unless your running plans include some travel

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Here's the previous passing of the comet.  Check out the nice pics.

No Talent Drips

For the 1%--or those with a pro-deal--Ibex makes a nice option

Dei Gratia

This will work....

Life Goals:

This will work....

So... you stuff your junk in there and then tourniquet it off with the plastic dealie?  Seems like a last resort to me.

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Minimalists pack their own heat.

For something "unmentionable", men sure seem to mention them a lot. Not specifically in RA....just in life.

So... you stuff your junk in there and then tourniquet it off with the plastic dealie?  Seems like a last resort to me.

I have one of these, but haven't ever used it...

Live in Dallas, and it doesn't get too cold here...

But, you'll notice the string tourniquet as well as the velcro fastener.

Also, notice that "it's fully adjustable to fit any size"

BTW, I received it as a Christmas gift last year from my brother in law.  Great gift Smile

Life Goals: