Daylight saving error (Read 886 times)

Eric,

Daylight saving started here in New Zealand Last Sunday. Since then the time in my running log entries (imported from Garmin 405) are an hour early. Forum posts also show the posting time as one hour early.

I looked to try and change my RA profile time zone setting to GMT+13 hours to make the time correct, but there is no option to do this. Are you able to add a GMT+13 option to the time zone settings?

Running - cheaper than therapy

eric :)

iansyd,

Microsoft didn't think that daylight savings is important when it comes to web development and didn't include it in the development toolkit that I use.  I had to whip up my own and didn't know about the the various timezones around the world.  I'll try to include daylight savings calculation for Australia and New Zealand for the next release.

eric :-)

jayazusa

Eric,

I am in Arizona and we are Mountain Standard time, we don't observer daylight savings time, but here is not a spot to select Arizona in the time zone or a check box that would allow to not observe daylight savings time.

Thanks,

Jay 

Upcoming events:

• 4/3/2011 - Marquee Olympic Triathlon
        • 5/7/2011 - Rio Salado Olympic Triathlon

Completed:

• 3/5/2011 - Run for Ryan House Half Marathon 1:50:43
        • 1/16/2011 - PF Chang’s Rock ‘n’ Roll Half Marathon 1:57:48
        • 12/5/2010 - Fiesta Bowl Half Marathon 1:59:19
        • 11/7/2010 - Amica International Triathlon - Finished 2:50:16
        • 10/9/2010 - Prospector Olympic Triathlon - Finished 2:48:25

I don't know why Microsoft doesn't have support for this.  I added rudimentary timezone support when I first created the site.  Perhaps it's time to revisit it and fix it up to cover all the countries.
          joe545

Could you fix it for Europe too? Almost all European countries follow the same daylight savings system.

Could you fix it for Europe too? Almost all European countries follow the same daylight savings system.

Sure!  It would be helpful if you point me to a page containing the daylight savings rules for Europe.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Countries change to and from Daylight Savings Time on different dates, though.  The UK switched time last Sunday, for example.

Countries change to and from Daylight Savings Time on different dates, though.  The UK switched time last Sunday, for example.

When I redesign it, maybe this weekend, I'll come up with a generic way of doing it so that it can be updated readily.

Neil Gunn

Gandalf the Grey

Eric

This site is pretty good with all sorts of time/date stuff ...

www.timeanddate.com

Neil

Running ... just keep running!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Eric,

I am in Arizona and we are Mountain Standard time, we don't observer daylight savings time, but here is not a spot to select Arizona in the time zone or a check box that would allow to not observe daylight savings time.

I was very confused Saturday, when I connected through Phoenix -- I looked at the timezone map, and Phoenix is clearly smack in the middle of mountain, but all the monitors showed what I thought was Pacific.... and I had no idea Phoenix was on Mountain Standard til the next day, when it finally all became clear...

But I can't tell you how many people don't understand that "xxxx Standard timezone" is NOT a fancy way to say "xxxx timezone".

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

This timezone thing is such a headache because in order to support it properly, I need to know each user's time offset from GMT, then the country and timezone they belong to.  As you can imagine, the list can get very long.

Alternatively, why can't I determine your time offset based on your computer's time?  For example, if GMT is 1:38 AM, and your computer's time is 5:06 AM (it's possible that your clock is slightly off and you're in a region where the offset is half an hour), then the offset would be 3:28.  I can assume that your time offset is probably 3:30 and apply it to the display time?

Whenever your computer's time changes due to daylight savings, your offset is updated automatically.  Are there any drawbacks with this approach?  Am I missing anything?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Some people don't change their laptop timezone every time they cross a timezone on travel, in case that is relevant. (This is even more likely for people with XP or earlier, where they can't change their timezone anyway, if they aren't administrators -- and even if they have a local admin password, they may not bother to log on as local admin just to change a timezone temporarily.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

joe545

As did the rest of Europe! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Summer_Time

This timezone thing is such a headache because in order to support it properly, I need to know each user's time offset from GMT, then the country and timezone they belong to. As you can imagine, the list can get very long.

I don't see how this should be a great difficultly (he says without knowing how you have coded this sight). Surely all times are saved in a common universal time (GMT probably) and in each user's profile it says which country they belong to and the time zone. From there you just need to have a list (or formulae - see link above) of when countries change (and this will be common for almost all European ones) forward and back. Shouldn't be a large list of rules, certainly not polynomial.