Anyone else get chills after a run/race? (Read 2786 times)

jeffdonahue

I did the New Bedford Half Marathon yesterday and afterwards we hung out in the gym and had some chowder and sandwiches and waited for the results posting. When I left though, I was freezing and I ended up have a chill running through me that I just couldnt break for the rest of the day. Is this normal? I cant remember having this happen to me before. Thanks in advance Jeff
      If the weather is even slightly cool, I get cold. I sweat a lot, so once my blood stops pumping hard I get the dampness chills. I'll almost always bring a change of clothes to a race - everything down to warm socks and a different pair of sneakers or open sandals (with the socks). If I am heading home right after a run I sometimes need to sit in our hot tub for over 20 minutes to feel warm again, if the shower doesn't quite warm me up.
      Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
        I ran 10 easy yesterday. Temp was 40F. I always get a chill about an hour afterwards, lasts a couple of hours; the colder it is the longer it lasts. I am not sure how "normal" it is, but it is normal for me!
          I've had this happen after chilly races and runs. Getting into dry clothes is helpful, but nothing beats a really warm shower or bath to get the chills out. It happens more at races when I'm stuck without either of those options, but sometimes at home when my lousy water heater denies me a long, hot shower. You can also try blasting the heat in your car. The key is doing it soon after the run, before the chills set in.

-------------------------------------
          5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
          10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
          1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
          Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Yeah that's pretty normal after running a hard 13 miles on a cold windy day. I made sure to have a couple layers of dry cloths, dry hat, dry gloves and jacket in my bag in the gym. Soon after finishing and before I cooled down too much I jogged, gingerly, back to the gym, stripped off my wet layers and put on the dry layers. I bundled up and zipped my jacket up to my neck even though I was inside. Drank lots of fluids, ate some chowda and a fish sandwich and then turned the heat up in the car on the way home.

Runners run

I had this happen to me once, after I ran twenty miles for the first time. I didn't eat much after the run ( I drank a juice box and had a cereal bar) and I went home and curled up on the couch with a major case of the chills, I couldn't get warm at all. I ended up falling asleep for quite a while. Since then I've made it a practice to eat more and drink more right after a long run. I also keep moving.

Michelle

Tremont

Yup. I had the same experience in New Bedford: felt fine during the race, even had to peel the outer layer after the seventh mile but immediately after the finish line I was shivering. I couldn't face the few blocks walk back to where my car was parked so I ended up having like six bowls of chowder in the gym. Then when I got to the car I couldn't get the heat to go high enough and on the way home I stopped three times for coffee, which I don't even like, just to get something to warm me up from the inside. I do tend to get chilled easily after runs in general but yesterday was especially bad. I have a feeling for me it was the headwinds towards the end (of course soon after I'd taken off my top) that stripped me of body warmth but I was too tired and hyped up on adrenaline to notice until I stopped.