Tennis shoes appropriate? (Read 176 times)

I  bought some Prince  tennis shoes that I have played in just a few times. I lost both big toenails while wearing them because they evidently were a little big, so my foot slid around when pivoting and stopping.  Then I got another pair that I like better. My question to all the runners out there is Can I run in tennis shoes? Do you think there is a huge difference?  I just hate to waste them, so I thought I'd ask.

TJoseph

That wouldn't work for me, but everyone's feet are different.  I saw a teammate run in dress shoes once in high school when he forgot his running shoes (30 some years ago).  That had to hurt.

Yep, we all did dumb stuff in high school.

TJoseph

You could always use the tennis shoes for walking around town.  That's what I would do with them.  I go through running shoes every three or four months.  They look a little beat up for wearing around town after that (but I still do).  Or you could donate them to one of the charities that collect shoes for the homeless.

Latent Runner

I  bought some Prince  tennis shoes that I have played in just a few times. I lost both big toenails while wearing them because they evidently were a little big, so my foot slid around when pivoting and stopping.  Then I got another pair that I like better. My question to all the runners out there is Can I run in tennis shoes? Do you think there is a huge difference?  I just hate to waste them, so I thought I'd ask.

Simple answer, NO!

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
            • 2-mile: 13:49
            • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
            • 5-Mile: 37:24
            • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
            • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
            • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
              I don't know why not. For me, it wouldn't be comfortable and wouldn't help my foot break over the toe with each stride. But sure, you could do it. You could go barefoot, too.
              TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Try them and find out.

mta:  Every one is different.  You might find you like them.

steph  

Yep, we all did dumb stuff in high school.

Some even won big races. Click.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Why is it sideways?

I ran my first race in Vans skateboarding shoes. Yes, I was a sorta - skater in middle school.

The guy in that movie The Jericho Mile ran in high-top Chuck Taylors. So there's that.

Dave

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Simple answer, NO!

No you can't run in them, or no, there isn't a big difference?

I say, try them.

Latent Runner

No you can't run in them, or no, there isn't a big difference?

I say, try them.

I meant, "No", don't even try.  Why?  Even the best tennis shoes are not designed to protect and support the body for the rigors of running; conversely, even the best running shoes would be woefully inadequate for use when playing tennis.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                          • 2-mile: 13:49
                          • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                          • 5-Mile: 37:24
                          • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                          • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                          • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

Yes, you can run in them. But keep your orthopedic surgeon's number handy. Actually, I have no experience with tennis shoes, but I know not to under estimate the value of properly fitted running shoes purchased from a real running store. Use at your own risk.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

I think the shoe-industrial complex (isn’t that what SJ calls it?) is invading your brains. I'll bet any shoe that’s okay for a 3 hour match on a concrete court is fine for the “rigors” of 5 mile jog in the neighborhood a few times a week. I know my shoes don’t protect and support me from much. They’re pretty flimsy neutral shoes.  Don’t see the harm in trying them out. If you’re feet hurt after a few goes, try something else. The Prince models I see online look a lot like “real” running shoes to me anyway.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                              stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

How bad could it be?

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do