Self Conscious about man boobs (Read 363 times)

running carolina

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and have an awkward, but serious question.  I'm 5'7" weigh 188 pounds am in my late 40's and just starting to run.  I have a stocky build and a sedentary job, so running is not easy for me.  I plod along more than run.

One thing that I have noticed and become very self-conscious and embarrassed about while running is that a lot of my body bounces and jiggles.  What bothers me most is that my man boobs bounce a lot and it is embarrassing.   I want to keep my boobs from bouncing so much when I run.  It's distracting and I don't want to look so flabby when running.  I've tried loose shirts to hide them but that doesn't work.  The under armour and compression shirts make me look even worse.  I've even thought about wearing a sports bra to help keep them from bouncing until I lose the weight.  Now I'm frustrated and don't want to run because I'm so self*conscious of this.  Any suggestions?

Please not wise cracks, I'm honestly seeking some help here.  Thank you all in advance for any input.

pedaling fool

I pick up heavy things and put them down

Seriously, weightlifting.... My man boobs  pecks are hard as a rock.

#artbydmcbride

It may be too hot this time of year, but wearing a tight compression type shirt, and then a looser shirt over it, should control the bouncing.  And the loose shirt over will disguise the form fit.

UnderArmour heatgear compression shirts come in sleeveless too.

This is for the meantime, lots of running and weightlifting like pedaling says will be the long term solution

Runners run

running carolina

It may be too hot this time of year, but wearing a tight compression type shirt, and then a looser shirt over it, should control the bouncing.  And the loose shirt over will disguise the form fit.

UnderArmour heatgear compression shirts come in sleeveless too.

This is for the meantime, lots of running and weightlifting like pedaling says will be the long term solution

Yeah, it would be very hot, especially in South Carolina, but it's not a bad idea.

As far as weightlifting goes, I have arthritis and it is especially bad in my right shoulder and even push ups are painful.  I'm lucky that I can jog.  It hasn't gotten to my knees yet.  My hope is to do a lot of low impact cardio to lose the excess weight and get leaner instead of bulk up.  My body type is endomorphic, so I've been bulky enough my whole life.  That's part of the problem.  

TJoseph

I am about the same size right now. I don't really have a problem with moobs bouncing, but my belly jiggles a little. I just wear a loose breathable tech shirt and don't worry about it. Stay away from cotton. Nobody is looking at you.  You can lose about 10 pounds a month if you go on a moderate diet with plenty of energy for exercise. Once you get down to the low 170's you won't have that problem.

BeeRunB

Here's something to consider about consciousness: when you perceive that the world is observing you, it is really you observing and judging yourself, and then projecting this perception outward on to people. It's never an outside thing coming in at you. You are the only true observer in your bubble of consciousness that is your world. Once you see and get this, then you become the silent observer of your experience. Not the observed.

Just for laughs, here's a man boob comic drawn by a man who has had his own jiggly fat bouncing around at a high of 230lbs. I lost the boobs, but they have returned just a little as of late (I'm like a size A as opposed to my former DD). Perhaps they're here for life, if I can't kick the sugar addiction.

Good luck, and keep going. The flab will come off. 

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Keep going! Runners come in all sizes. You can do this!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

running carolina

I am about the same size right now. I don't really have a problem with moobs bouncing, but my belly jiggles a little. I just wear a loose breathable tech shirt and don't worry about it. Stay away from cotton. Nobody is looking at you.  You can lose about 10 pounds a month if you go on a moderate diet with plenty of energy for exercise. Once you get down to the low 170's you won't have that problem.

When I was 160-170 I was much happier with myself and appearance.  Thanks for encouraging me.

I don't know what "they" are thinking when other people see you running, but I do know what I think when I see a really fat (BMI well over 30) person out walking / bicycling / trying to run: "Good for him/her.  Hope they keep it up."

And I have never concerned myself with what other people think when I run over to Walmart (two miles each way) to get something on a hot day, dripping sweat all over.

running carolina

Here's something to consider about consciousness: when you perceive that the world is observing you, it is really you observing and judging yourself, and then projecting this perception outward on to people. It's never an outside thing coming in at you. You are the only true observer in your bubble of consciousness that is your world. Once you see and get this, then you become the silent observer of your experience. Not the observed.

Just for laughs, here's a man boob comic drawn by a man who has had his own jiggly fat bouncing around at a high of 230lbs. I lost the boobs, but they have returned just a little as of late (I'm like a size A as opposed to my former DD). Perhaps they're here for life, if I can't kick the sugar addiction.

Good luck, and keep going. The flab will come off. 

That's good to try thinking that way.  It does get a bit more challenging though, when I switch over to my role as a volunteer soccer coach.  At that point, people ARE definitely watching you.  Fortunately, the kids are 10-12 year olds, so they're more interested in what I am showing them instead of what I look like.  The team photos were when I really noticed it.  They give you these lightweight, cool Nike Dri-Fit shirts, but even a size bigger shows the moobs.  I did like the cartoon.  LOL!  My wife doesn't care, but I do.  I want to look better and be in better shape.  I'm glad you went from a DD to an A.    I'd guess I'm a solid C now, so an A would be wonderful!  Thanks for the encouragement.  I did not expect so many people to help out a first-time member.

I could write this exact same post about any number of topics relating to just starting out. It's as true for moobs as it would be for endurance or speed or whatever. The tricky thing is that the change will be incremental. Day to day you won't notice a difference, and that could be discouraging. If you stay consistent regardless of the fact that it doesn't seem like anything is changing, the change you're looking for will happen. One day it will just hit you that it's way, way better than it was when you started. As long as you're getting out there and doing it, regularly, good things will happen, and you'll have to find new things to be self-conscious about because the old ones won't be an issue anymore.

Just keep going.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

BeeRunB

That's good to try thinking that way.  It does get a bit more challenging though, when I switch over to my role as a volunteer soccer coach.  At that point, people ARE definitely watching you.  Fortunately, the kids are 10-12 year olds, so they're more interested in what I am showing them instead of what I look like.  The team photos were when I really noticed it.  They give you these lightweight, cool Nike Dri-Fit shirts, but even a size bigger shows the moobs.  I did like the cartoon.  LOL!  My wife doesn't care, but I do.  I want to look better and be in better shape.  I'm glad you went from a DD to an A.    I'd guess I'm a solid C now, so an A would be wonderful!  Thanks for the encouragement.  I did not expect so many people to help out a first-time member.

I performed a lot in my earlier years in front of large and small audiences (which is how I came to this realization) and let me tell you that once you get this thing about projecting and the truth of the silent observer, then it's always you observing them. The watcher disappears, even when people are actually watching you do something. Think about it, when you are coaching and let's say 200 hundred people are there watching, and you start to feel self-conscious about all eyes being on you, isn't that just a story you're telling yourself about reality? "Everyone is looking at me. And all they see is my jiggly man-boobs." But the truth is that you don't know what they're thinking, or what they're even looking at. Each individual is having their own private subjective experience like you are. And perhaps a good portion of them are self-conciously projecting as well. Next time you coach take a 10 second break and just look at the details of reality. The colors, the sounds, the smells. Look at the people. Notice their shoes, their hair, their clothes, where they're looking. If you truly look at, smell, touch, listen to, and taste something, the  self-conscious self disappears as does the associated anxiety. It takes some work, but it's actually a playful state of mind. It helps a lot with acting, making music, and putting a golf ball.

Actually I went from DD to no-bra size then to a current A, as I've put on some weight the past few years due to being a sugar-vampire. I get off of the evil white powder for months then have a taste and suddenly I'm like those scratch-off ticket addicts showing up at the QT everyday for the sucrose-delivery system of my choice. Thanks about the comic. It's fun to make 'em.

(people here don't care about the first-timer thing, as you're definitely not a first time member of the human race) 

I agree with JRMichler, when I see someone larger out running (mind you I'm 6'4"); my first thought is, that's awesome! It's easy to sit on the sidelines, it is another thing to take action.  Keep on moving and you'll see gradual improvements.

Feeling the growl again

I would not concern yourself with the thoughts of random people you are 99.99% certain you don't know, and will never interact with again in your life.  You are out there putting the work in, and they are not.  Hold your head high, get the work in, and soon enough you won't have anything there to be embarrassed of anymore.

You know what I think when I see an overweight or out of shape person out running?  I think "good for you!".  Once upon a time I was the fat kid shuffling along getting laughed at, so I can relate.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Can you maybe start with lifting light weights? Surely, you can bench press 10 lbs. Lift just light enough so you don't aggravate the shoulder issue. Running is great for dropping fat to a point but when I started running more and weightlifting less my body fat actually went up. Don't give up over this issue though. Who cares what other people think. You are doing your best and once you drop the weight you will feel more confident.

"Any idiot can run a marathon. It takes a special kind of idiot to run an ultramarathon." - Alan Cabelly