Is this DOABLE? (Read 561 times)

...And I do.

I have been running for 2 years now. I have run a half dozen 5k & 5 miler races and one 10k. I decided several months ago to train for a half that is scheduled for this Sunday. So far I've run a few 8,9,10 & one 11 mile runs in addition to my regular training. My last 11 mile run was on August 27 and since then I've battled several stomach viruses and head sinus crap. My last three weeks (as you can see from my log) have been painfully short on miles. My question: I really want to run this half on Sunday. I have no illusions. I don't care if I have some walking periods - walk/run or whatever. The race course is flat and the temps are perfect in the low 60's. It is in the CA redwoods. Am I fooling myself or can I do this!!!!???

A Saucy Wench

yes

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

well your milage, even pre-sickness, is low but the fact that you could pump out these longer runs leads me to believe you could definately finish the 13.1 miles. As you said you have no illusions and don't mind walk/running. You may not feel too pretty after you finish the run but you can definatelyt do it. If its something you want, I say do it! Smile Best of luck!

...And I do.

Thanks for the quick responses! I feel better. Now I'll be working on psyching myself up for this race!
          theyapper

On the road again...

Have fun! Can't wait to read the report.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

nkeliher

Running nut

I think you should be able to do it - I've been able to rattle off 13 miles or so without training too hard beforehand. Just take it easy at the start and see how you feel. If you just keep putting one foot in front of the other you'll be fine. Good luck.

...And I do.

Well, I did it and it was great! My time was 2:39:__ & I was pretty tired by the time I came in but I'm glad I didn't let the last few weeks of not feeling well + lack of training keep me from doing it. Thanks you guys for the encouragement it was definitely one of the reasons I pushed through and went!
                Carl A

Great job! Between the lines of your enthusiasm and persistence, I think I hear a full marathon calling you!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.