Sucky training run (Read 798 times)

Giant Flaming Dork

What causes a "bad" training run? Yesterday I ran outside for only the third time this year, but just had a sucky run. It was nice outside, and it wasn't unfamiliar territory, but I just couldn't get into a groove and was WAY off my normal training pace. Is there any sort of post-mortem that you can do to figure out why it went bad?

http://xkcd.com/621/

My legs are killing me

I wish I had a better answer for you but they happen to all of us. Get back out there today and get in the groove and you'll forget all about yesterday.
      jeffdonahue

No idea what causes them but just know that you are not alone - they happen to us all. Get out there again today and you'll forget all about it.

The Greatest of All Time

For me, it's either one of two things or a combination of both 1. Inadequate rest or general buildup of fatigue. 2. Inadequate nutrition Everyone, I mean everyone, has bad runs. I have at least 1-2 per week where I don't feel great. It seems the higher in mileage I get, the more frequent they come. It's such a subjective thing though so I am sure the answers are going to be widely scattered.
          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
            What causes a "bad" training run? Yesterday I ran outside for only the third time this year...
            Running outside requires some adjustment time. The surfaces are generally harder than a treadmill and definitely more uneven and you have wind resistance and hills to deal with. Give it a few more weeks and you'll see some improvement. Tom

Marathonmanleto

That's funny. My sucky runs usually occur when my mileage is low. As my mileage increases they improve until really high mileage weeks when I'm totally fried and they suck again.
              Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

There's always a reason, sometimes it's hard to find. Some prime candidates 1. not enough sleep 2 ramp up of mileage/intensity 3 nutrition/hydration Hitting the road after tons of TM miles may be a factor.

Giant Flaming Dork

Thanks all for the encouragement. Friday is usually a rest day for me, but I think I might hit the road this afternoon and try and shake it.
                  Running outside requires some adjustment time. The surfaces are generally harder than a treadmill and definitely more uneven and you have wind resistance and hills to deal with. Give it a few more weeks and you'll see some improvement.
                  I thought about that, too. But the race that I did on Saturday was colder, windier, hillier, faster, and longer than the training run yesterday. I know, I know... stop whining and HTFU!

Giant Flaming Dork

There's always a reason, sometimes it's hard to find. Some prime candidates 1. not enough sleep 2 ramp up of mileage/intensity 3 nutrition/hydration Hitting the road after tons of TM miles may be a factor.
                    This is going to sound like a really stupid question... ...but how does hydration affect performance? I ran after work and didn't really have enough time during the day to drink much.

mikeymike

I don't worry about sucky runs the same way I don't worry about good runs. Both will happen. Both are part of the process. I just put it in the book and move on. Keep on.

Runners run

Thank you all for saying that you have bad runs. I have been discouraged all afternoon. Last week ran 8 miles in 1:25:25 (I know, not fast compared to the majority of you) but today started out for 9 miles. It took 1:45:00 and I'll bet I walked(intermittently) 2 of the miles. I had never run this far before and I'm definitely learning about hydration, nutrition, pacing, dressing as I go but I was ready to chuck it all on the drive home today. I'll try to get out tomorrow and just put one foot in front of the other. I guess I'll forgive myself this one. Thanks again!
                        Goals:HM <2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner. htfu="" encourage="" my="" dh="" to="" get="" out="" of="" his=""></2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner.>

~Gordo~

I think most of the time, they just happen. I know on a few occasions that I was able to pin point the cause of the bad run. Not waiting long enough after eating a chicken ceaser salad comes to mind. If you can't think of something you did different than the times you felt good, then just chalk it up as a "bad" run and know that tomorrow's will be better.
                          !If you don't...you won't! ~Remember the light at the end of tunnel maybe you~ ~If you choose not to decided, you still have made a choice~
                          Teresadfp

One day at a time

Marsha, you and I are at almost exactly the same place, progress-wise. I made it 9.1 miles (PR) yesterday, but it was definitely challenging. Just keep plugging! I wouldn't do too much tomorrow - be sure to run slowly! Today's run felt harder than yesterday for me, so I held my run to 3.8 miles. Good luck!!
                            L Train

I have been discouraged all afternoon. Last week ran 8 miles in 1:25:25 (I know, not fast compared to the majority of you) but today started out for 9 miles. It took 1:45:00 and I'll bet I walked(intermittently) 2 of the miles. I had never run this far before and I'm definitely learning about hydration, nutrition, pacing, dressing as I go but I was ready to chuck it all on the drive home today.
                              Marsha - each training cycle when I work up to longer distances, the first run at that longer distance has a good chance of sucking. Then the next week I go a mile or two longer and that can suck, too. But then when I go back after that and do the first dstance, it's easy. Just give your body some time to adjust, and you will be fine.

Feeling the growl again

Shovel some dirt on it and walk away. They just happen, unless it's really often it means nothing. Bury it and move on. For me, I increase the risk of bad runs if I skimp on lunch or don't get enough sleep. The past year sleep has been a major issue. Last week, I tried to do a 4-mile tempo run. I did one mile over 6min pace, gave up and jogged home. This week I got a couple nights of good sleep in a row, did the same run, and complete a 4 mile tempo section in 5:32 avg. For me, at least, sleep can make a HUGE difference.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills