Achilles problem - I think? (Read 944 times)

pitrunner

For the past few weeks I have noticed that my achilles tendon (at least I think that's what it is) is incredibly stiff when I wake up in the morning or after any extended sedentary period. I feel it especially when going down the steps. Is this achilles tendonitis? And if so, what the heck am I supposed to do about it? At this point it's just a nuisance and doesn't bother me at all when I'm running or spinning but I'd hate to be doing something to make it worse. Anyone ever have anything like this?
    C-R

Been there and done that too many times. I'm no doctor but have been dealing with AT for some time. What you describe seems to catch the basics. Have you upped miles recently? More hills than usual? Shoes too old or worn out? Running on your toes? These are frequent starters of AT. Look at your training recently for clues. Best advice I received was RICE (rest, ice, compression and elevation). If you are able, use something like advil to help relieve the soreness but be careful as it can mask more serious issues. Pain is a way to tell us to take a breather. I've receovered from my goof at the last marathon through PT, ultrasound treaments, cross frictional massage (ouch) and building miles slowly. I also use eccentric loading exercises to build strength. Good luck on this one

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

pitrunner

Been there and done that too many times. I'm no doctor but have been dealing with AT for some time. What you describe seems to catch the basics. Have you upped miles recently? More hills than usual? Shoes too old or worn out? Running on your toes? These are frequent starters of AT. Look at your training recently for clues. Best advice I received was RICE (rest, ice, compression and elevation). If you are able, use something like advil to help relieve the soreness but be careful as it can mask more serious issues. Pain is a way to tell us to take a breather. I've receovered from my goof at the last marathon through PT, ultrasound treaments, cross frictional massage (ouch) and building miles slowly. I also use eccentric loading exercises to build strength. Good luck on this one
        I haven't upped miles or done any new hilly routes - but ,I have started concentrating on leaning forward and trying to run on my mid fore-foot instead of heel striking. I guess this means I'm doing something wrong Sad My new form helps with my knees so I'm of the opinion that if I have to choose knee or achilles pain I'd definitely choose achilles. Unless achilles can evolve from this little annoyance into something debillitating...
          having had tendonitis a number of times in a number of different places general stiffness does not sound to me like tendonitis. For me it was a warm burning sensation... that sometimes after a good warm up would go away for a bit... I would venture to say that there are tight muscles attached to that achilles tendon that are tight and pulling on the tendon... try doing a really good job streching your hamstrings, Gastrocnemius and Soleus (calf muscles) AFTER they are warm... like after your run or spinning. self massage of the calf could help too (it has for me)
          pitrunner

That makes a lot of sense. I rarely stretch my hammies but can see how it's all related. I had a lot of trouble with shin splints and PF last year and learned that stretching my calf could help with those - and it really did! I can totally see how adding in my hamstrings to my stretching routine could help with my lower leg too...Thanks! I'm going to give a try.
            C-R

Pitrunner - Chi or Pose?

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

pitrunner

Chi
                C-R

IMO - go to the Chi web site as this has been discussed in many threads on the Forum. They should be able to pinpoint the issue. My bet is that you are leaning from the waist and hitting forward of the midfoot - closer to the toes. One thing to remember and it is really a challenge is to have relaxed lower legs. Sounds easy but it is really difficult if something is out of allignment. I tried Chi but now run Pose (lots of reasons) and haven't had achilles problems in a long time. However, both of these styles will usually create a thread explosion on most running forums.

pitrunner

Ok thanks, I'll try that. I was actually thinking about trying POSE, there's a clinic available near me and it would be nice to have someone watch me who knows what they're talking about. Thank you for the input.
                    C-R

If you can get to a clinic all the better. It takes patience and help from a trained eye. The online forum has been great for me as I have not had a chance to get to a clinic yet (none here in the Midwest). Either way, IMO you're headed down the correct path. Good luck.

Don't know how old you are, but...the older you get, the less pliable your tendons and ligaments get. However, achilles stiffness in the morning could be the start of achilles tendonitis. A proper warm-up becomes more and more critical. It took me months to recover from my AT, so now I walk at least a half-mile before and after running. Mild is stretching OK before a run, but generally it more helpful to do after a run. I'm 37, and like an idiot, I continued to run on it when it hurt figuring I was going to "tough" it out. That was last May. After months of rest, PT, ultra-sound, ice, and $400 orthotics, I am just now running again. I won't make the same mistake twice.
                        That day, for no particular reason, I decided to go for a little run....Forrest Gump

My legs are killing me

Take it from someone who ran through the pain to tear two achilles tendons. Get it checked out by a doctor and learn how to stretch your tendons properly. I had to go for treatments for 6 months and it was alot longer than that before they were right. You don't want to fool with it. Trust me.
                          jamesatkinson

It sounds like i've got a similar problem with one of my achiles. It hurts in the morning (not agonising by any means, but it's stiff and sore), and for the first five minutes or so of any run. I've recently moved to Sydney which is a very hilly city, and in that respect, running here is very different to what i'm used to. Possibly this is the cause. Anyway, some people have suggested to me that I stop running for a while to rest it. The problem is that I don't want to. Is there a way to deal with this problem that doesn't involve stopping running completely? Could new shoes make a difference? Mine are pretty old and battered...

Marathon Maniac #3309

I haven't upped miles or done any new hilly routes - but ,I have started concentrating on leaning forward and trying to run on my mid fore-foot instead of heel striking. I guess this means I'm doing something wrong Sad My new form helps with my knees so I'm of the opinion that if I have to choose knee or achilles pain I'd definitely choose achilles. Unless achilles can evolve from this little annoyance into something debillitating...
                              I made that switch too about a year ago and had the same pain and soreness like you describe, and it is normal and takes a while to adjust to. I never quit running, but rather switched back and forth between my old gait, and new forefoot gait. My pain gradually went away and now all is good. Good luck...you will like forefoot running and it helps to stay injury free...atleast for me. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Fred.Just Fred

The Internut

Take it from someone who ran through the pain to tear two achilles tendons. Get it checked out by a doctor and learn how to stretch your tendons properly. I had to go for treatments for 6 months and it was alot longer than that before they were right. You don't want to fool with it. Trust me.
                                Two days ago I went for a 10 mile run in preparation for the upcoming Sarasota Marathon (March 2). About nine miles into the run my Achilles tendon began to really hurt! I had been feeling some stiffness for a few days leading up to this run, but usually only after a run, not during it. The rest of the day--and into the night--my ankle region would actually feel like it was "crackling" when I rubbed or massaged it. I had my wife feel it and she literally recoiled when she felt it! Two days later, my ankle is still sore, and I'm limping noticeably, but my ankle no longer "crackles." Still, I'm worried that my marathon may be in jeopardy. I've already registered and paid for the airline tickets, so I'll be in Sarasota in any event. But I'm worried now that I'll be a cheerleader and not a participant. I have an appointment to see my podiatrist (I also have Morton's Neuroma), so I'll see what he says.

I'll have days when I don't think I can run a marathon. I'll have a lifetime to know that I did.