Half Marathon, starting temp 22F, what to wear (Read 178 times)

stshipley7

The Atlanta Half Marathon is going to be on the tail end of a winter storm passing through Tues/Wed, and the temp Wednesday night is supposed to drop to 22F.

Other than a hat, gloves, and my running shoes, I'm not sure what the correct attire is. It will be dry, maybe some wind.

I'm tempted to go with running pants or tights, base layer long sleeve mock, and an outer layer like a sweatshirt or jacket that I can shed, never to get back. Some folks on this board may decry the use of pants or tights, and I would for a 5K, but for a longer race I'm not so sure. Speed of the race is not the most critical factor, surviving for some turkey later in the day is.

-STS

There's nothing wrong with racing in tights.

That said, you may do just as well to go out slowly, once you're warm your warm.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

When its cold wear the tights.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

People vary with tolerance to cold temperatures, so it's difficult to be sure how much anyone else's answer applies to you.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Zelanie

I ran a half yesterday with a starting temp of 30, but dry.  I warmed up in two hoodies, and had hand warmers in my gloves.

For the race, I just wore short sleeves, a running skirt, gloves, and calf sleeves.  I started in a "rented" knit hat and sweatshirt, but both were gone and not missed by mile 1.

an amazing likeness

Add 20F to the weather expected when you're at halfway and plan your race wear for that.

Add layers of discard-able stuff to deal with the start temps.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

zonykel

A bit off topic, but I wonder if there is a rate of diminishing returns with regards to the impact of low temperature and heart rate. I find that 40-50 degreesFahrenheit  works well in terms of running comfort, but is it "ideal" for running your best race?

stshipley7

40-55 sure ..... below 30F, not so much

Hoban-Jay

The Atlanta Half Marathon is going to be on the tail end of a winter storm passing through Tues/Wed, and the temp Wednesday night is supposed to drop to 22F.

Other than a hat, gloves, and my running shoes, I'm not sure what the correct attire is. It will be dry, maybe some wind.

I'm tempted to go with running pants or tights, base layer long sleeve mock, and an outer layer like a sweatshirt or jacket that I can shed, never to get back. Some folks on this board may decry the use of pants or tights, and I would for a 5K, but for a longer race I'm not so sure. Speed of the race is not the most critical factor, surviving for some turkey later in the day is.

-STS

sounds like a good plan to me.

I'm also running the Atlanta Half.  It is going to be windy.  The current race start forecast has a wind chill of 13F.  So, I'll wear tights.  I hardly EVER wear anything on my legs, but I'm not a big fan of wind and cold.  I'll have a long sleeve shirt with a running jacket, neck warmer and knit hat.  I'll also wear mittens with liner.

I'm in the purchased Hansons' 20 week 60 - 80 mpw plan (targeting the Shamrock in March), so I'm not planning to race this half, just to do the first mile easy, then 6 at marathon pace, and the rest easy.  This way I'll be able to resume my training schedule the next day Friday, and still do the training runs called for on Saturday with the long run on Sunday.

Since I won't be running hard I don't think I'll start sweating under the outer layers.

catwhoorg

Labrat

I'll be wearing tights. A short sleeve under Armour top, then a long sleeve tech shirt.

Plus gloves, the gloves are a must.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

I'll be wearing tights. A short sleeve under Armour top, then a long sleeve tech shirt.

Plus gloves, the gloves are a must.

+1

That's what I wore for a run this week at a similar temp and was cold for first couple of miles then just about right.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

HCH

People vary with tolerance to cold temperatures, so it's difficult to be sure how much anyone else's answer applies to you.

For sure. Just as importantly, the wind makes a huge difference in cold temperatures. 22 is a little cool for racing, but not too bad if the wind is calm (at least in my opinion, but I live in Minneapolis so my perspective is probably warped.) However, if you're running into just a 10-15 MPH wind 22 feels frigid. And if you have gusts above 20 MPH, it's downright miserable.

Only 26.2 miles more to go.

hog4life

I did the Mercedes half this year with a start temp of 23 degrees and predicted 37 degrees two hours later. I believe there was wind, but can't remember for sure. I wore a long sleeve tech, then short sleeve tech over that. I also had a throw away long sleeve plus short sleeve cotton t-shirts. Baseball cap, gloves, neck gaiter, and shorts. Ditched the two cotton shirts by mile 2 and felt comfortable all the way to the finish.

Now they are saying it will not be very windy, which is good. Temp rising to around 30 or higher by the time I expect to finish. Definitely will need throwaway layers.

PRs: 5K: 21:25, 10K: 44:05, HM: 1:38:23* (downhill), M: 3:32:09