Which is correct? Your Garmin or the RD? (Read 326 times)

Or someone put a turn signal/cones in the wrong place.  Good for about .06 difference below.

Certified course

Actual race

MTA fixed the links.  Also would not mind if Garmin measures a bit long, but if its short, assume a missed turn or wrong course ran.

Or the Garmin can measure the certified course short, as mine did last Friday HERE.  Zoom in around the 2mi mark, and you can see how it has me running, Ferris Bueller style, through people's yards instead of the street.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

#artbydmcbride

I run the some of the same routes pretty often. Although the readings from the Garmin are usually pretty close for the same route, every so often you get a reading that is quite a way off from the usual. So, whilst they usually seem to measure the same thing, it's not always so.

swoon

Runners run

kcam

Or the Garmin can measure the certified course short, as mine did last Friday HERE.  Zoom in around the 2mi mark, and you can see how it has me running, Ferris Bueller style, through people's yards instead of the street.

The reported distance by the Garmin itself was less than 3.11 miles?  That RA map reports 3.15 miles so just goes to show that there are no absolute accurate measurements of any course, or parameter for that matter.  We have three different distances - 5.0K+correction factor (certified course measurement), somewhat shorter than 5.0K (per Clive's GPS) and 3.15 miles (per RA's algorithmic interpretation of the raw GPS data).

Could very well be the case with my run as well, looking at the course, that one turn at a different place should not be significant enough for coming up .06 short, esp given that I did not run anywhere close to perfect tangents.

MTA zooming in, looks like it has me running through peoples yards and solid walls even for the ultimate tangents

Ken, I had a bump-the-Start/Stop-button mishap somewhere around 2.2mi, so I manually entered a correction "interval" in the workout.  RA just drew a straight line between the shut-off and turn-back-on points mid-run.

Smile

But the track has me running off-road in lots of places.  I didn't mean to look only at that straight-line part!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

ultramarathon/triathlete

Rick, I think I ran one of your races (NJ trail series, Jan 2012, had a blast).

My garmin was way different than your course was said to be.  BUT before the start, you said it would be way different. Plus, I got way lost and doubled back twice.

Also, I've run the loop in the park across from my apartment some 100s of times now.  Often I've started and ended the watch/run in the exact same place, with slightly different times.  I think cloud interference, full trees vs. winter trees, alien abduction and the weight of a 5 oz migrating coconut might sometimes be a factor.   Also, my Timex sometimes is different than my Garmin.

So, I say Race Director.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
              Gatorade Endurance Team

zonykel

I bet if you use a tape measure, wheel, or whatever is used to measure courses, if you do it multiple times, you'll get different distances as well.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Car odometers are pretty inaccurate. ..

Liar. Hater. Cars will go on regardless of your hate and futile opposition.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Oh roo roooo!

Last fall ran an out-and-back where the mile markers heading out were in wildly different locations than the mile markers heading back in....I received one of those little post-race survey things and took the opportunity to mention that on an out-and-back, not having your mile markers line up more or less across from each other would be an indication that an error (fairly large, in this case) has occurred and maybe re-measurement is called for.  RD's response was "yeah, we noticed that but didn't figure it really mattered."  All righty then.

#artbydmcbride

Rick, I think I ran one of your races (NJ trail series, Jan 2012, had a blast).

My garmin was way different than your course was said to be.  BUT before the start, you said it would be way different. Plus, I got way lost and doubled back twice.

Also, I've run the loop in the park across from my apartment some 100s of times now.  Often I've started and ended the watch/run in the exact same place, with slightly different times.  I think cloud interference, full trees vs. winter trees, alien abduction and the weight of a 5 oz migrating coconut might sometimes be a factor.   Also, my Timex sometimes is different than my Garmin.

So, I say Race Director.

I also have a theory that the earth bulges more at some times and places....so the distance actually is slightly different each time you run it.........

Runners run

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I bet if you use a tape measure, wheel, or whatever is used to measure courses, if you do it multiple times, you'll get different distances as well.

According to USATF, one needs a steel tape measure, a Jones counter, and a bicycle - also a thermometer.

So, does anyone know if you can substitute for the bicycle:

• A cross-country hand wheel?
                        • A tricycle?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

zonykel

I also have a theory that the earth bulges more at some times and places....so the distance actually is slightly different each time you run it.........

If we're talking Yellowstone, I'd believe that.

325th place or bust!

I'm assuming you weren't running a 5K or 10K with mile markers?  In those cases the markers will not line up with each other on an out and back.  I suppose the general rule is that if the race is not a whole number (no fractional parts) in the marker units, then they won't line up.

Last fall ran an out-and-back where the mile markers heading out were in wildly different locations than the mile markers heading back in....I received one of those little post-race survey things and took the opportunity to mention that on an out-and-back, not having your mile markers line up more or less across from each other would be an indication that an error (fairly large, in this case) has occurred and maybe re-measurement is called for.  RD's response was "yeah, we noticed that but didn't figure it really mattered."  All righty then.

PR: 5K 22:41, 10K 51:05, HM 1:59, Sprint Tri: done!

A Saucy Wench

Well, even a certified course is not required to have mile markers in the appropriate locations.  The start and finish are certified, mile markers are a courtesy

We have a race here that they changed the route and the new course is only measured by running it 3 times with a Garmin.  It is shorter than the old course but they keep insisting the new PR's are only because they took out a hill.  (both an up and a down)

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

According to USATF, one needs a steel tape measure, a Jones counter, and a bicycle - also a thermometer.

So, does anyone know if you can substitute for the bicycle:

• A cross-country hand wheel?
                                • A tricycle?

Nope, they are pretty specific.  66 pages of specific.  I find it pretty interesting, believe it or not.  They tell you things like how much you have to adjust for the thermal expansion/contraction of your steel calibration tape, and with how much force you should stretch it.  And a lot more.