How hot is too hot? (Read 897 times)

Joe_h and I will be running in a 5k race tonight - temps will be around 91 (feeling like 98), chance of rain 30%. I'm very concerned that it is just going to be too hot to run. Is it safe to run in such heat? Anyone have thoughts on that?

Michelle

I am not quite sure about the medical aspects of heat, but definetly DO NOT get dehydrated. Drink a bottle of water before, a little during your race if they have anything set up, and a bottle of water after to keep your body hydrated. Don't go for a PR, necesarily, unless you feel like the heat isn't getting to you.... you don't want to pass out during a 5k, do you?
        I've run when it's 105+ degrees outside. Not quite as humid, though. I just bring along a bottle of water with a Nuun (electrolyte) tab dropped in. It gets warm and pretty gross after about 15 min, and lasts for about 40 min. You should be okay for a 5k, though. For reference, I've just been thinking about the superhuman people who do Badwater - a 135mi ultramarathon in Death Valley to Whitney Portal in July. Aiee!
          I plan on running with my water bottle. I've never used any of the electrolyte tablets or drinks. I was hoping to try for a PR but that was until I realized the temps for the night. Now I'll just be treating it as a practice run, which has me a little bummed. I've never passed out from running, or thrown up from running...I'm not out to do either one tonight! True about the runners in the ultramarathons and such...they run in temps MUCH higher than the race tonight..and of course for much longer distances.

Michelle

Joe_h and I will be running in a 5k race tonight - temps will be around 91 (feeling like 98), chance of rain 30%. I'm very concerned that it is just going to be too hot to run. Is it safe to run in such heat? Anyone have thoughts on that?
            It was that hot when we ran the shut up and run hun!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

It was that hot when we ran the shut up and run hun!
              I was thinking it was closer to 80 that day. Ick. That was a hot race. I didn't run with my water that day like I should have.

Michelle

I was thinking it was closer to 80 that day. Ick. That was a hot race. I didn't run with my water that day like I should have.
                Nope it was in the 90's. That's why I stopped at the water stops during the race.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

You'll ruin your knees!

You'll be fine...if they have water on the course, you shouldn't need a bottle. Hydrate well before the race and don't worry about electrolytes! 5K is too short to worry about electrolytes! I'll run all summer in high 90's/low hun's with 70+ % humidity...typically won't carry water or worry about water unless I'm going over an hour. Shut up and run, hun! Oh, and run hard! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Michelle

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Funny thing about that shirt (which is excellent, BTW) is that the first thing I saw when I looked at it was the word "DRUNK." Only it isn't even drunk, it's "DRUN5K" right there in the middle. If I'm seeing drunk where it isn't, I must need a drink! Clowning around

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Scout7

You'll be fine. It's a 5k, so it'll be over before you even know it!
                          Funny thing about that shirt (which is excellent, BTW) is that the first thing I saw when I looked at it was the word "DRUNK." Only it isn't even drunk, it's "DRUN5K" right there in the middle. If I'm seeing drunk where it isn't, I must need a drink! Clowning around
                          That's the only thing I see when I look at it!! Cool

Michelle

You'll be fine. It's a 5k, so it'll be over before you even know it!
                            True, but at the Shut up and Run 5k I managed to get the chills right after mile 2 - and that race was over in 23:23. I wasn't happy about getting the chills during a hot race like that. I fear the unknown - and I don't know if chills are good or bad. I know it's the body's way of cooling down but I had only been running for 2 miles! Meanwhile you were way ahead of me during that race - the heat didn't bother you one bit...show off. Tongue

Michelle

Prophet!

run nekkid...it'll cool you off. Cool
                                run nekkid...it'll cool you off. Cool
                                I suggested that to Joe. There are supposed to be around 800 runners...that's a lot of skin.

Michelle