Would you switch seats? (Read 354 times)

Philliefan33

I wouldn't move out of my aisle seat so a married couple could sit together. I wouldn't switch to the seat between two fatties, even to put a child next to a parent. If it was a short flight (2 hrs or less) and I would be moved to a seat between two people who fit in their own seats without spilling over to mine, I might switch for a child.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

With my luck, I'd agree to switch, and then find out where they're putting me.

Feeling the growl again

Uh, did you read the part where I said if I was a kid I would have switched?...

Apparently not.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Fanilow

I would not expect (or even ask) someone to change seats with me, so I wouldn't do it. It's a flight, not eternity. I'm not going to die if I can't sit by my spouse and have to entertain myself for a couple of hours and neither is anyone else.

2014 goals

Well, there's always next year.

Why is it sideways?

Sure, I would move. Good karma. Smile

(But I wouldn't have paid the extra $10 to begin with. #cheapo)

TJoseph

I haven't flown Southwest in a couple of years, but it was worth the small amount of extra money to ensure you had bin space for your bag without having to be online 24 hours in advance to check in first.  My company paid it anyways and you got a free drink coupon too that I never used.  Once you make A-List then they check you in automatically and you don't need to buy business select.  If you are checking a bag and not carrying it on, then it probably doesn't matter much.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Why would they pick on you? Surely they had other passengers traveling alone that had not paid to board early and get their choice of seats. Poor procedure on the airline's part.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Not in that scenario.

I would certainly consider doing so for a parent and small child.

Last year on a Transatlantic flight (Back to the US, so not overnight) with my daughter in her car seat (about 9 months old), we had two seats (aisle middle) together then the middle of a 3 behind that pair. Person on the aisle next to DD refused to switch with me, but I think she regretted that. DD was continually wanting me, and wanting to move round, so was grouchy, kept being passed back and forth, and I woudl walk her up and down the aisles.

Persons did not have a restful flight. (and if she switched she would have been behind DD and had someone who was not reclining their seat at all in front of them).

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

xhristopher

When my son was young we always bought his seat and put him in his car seat for flights. Once, on an oversold flight, they were having a difficult time wedging a family onboard and they tried to pressure us into giving up his seat and have him fly on a lap so another could fit one more on the plane. We refused.  

Feeling the growl again

When my son was young we always bought his seat and put him in his car seat for flights. Once, on an oversold flight, they were having a difficult time wedging a family onboard and they tried to pressure us into giving up his seat and have him fly on a lap so another could fit one more on the plane. We refused.  

Wanting you go give up a seat you paid full price for?  Wow.  Guess they shouldn't have sold a seat they didn't have.  I understand why they do it, but that's their problem.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

xhristopher

Wanting you go give up a seat you paid full price for?  Wow.  Guess they shouldn't have sold a seat they didn't have.  I understand why they do it, but that's their problem.

Yup, with no offer in exchange. I think the attendant may have been pressured to ask. She was nearly in tears at the end of it all.

Why not just ask an adult to stand or ride in the bathroom? Probably just as safe.

Slo

+1

Just food for thought though...Someone did give up thier seat for My Mom and Dad. It was thier last trip together. He was dying from brain cancer. Talking was very difficult for him as he struggled to come up with the correct words.

They were not running late, tickets purchased well in advance but unable to book tickets on the return flight where they could be seated together. I don't know if the person who offered up thier seat ever knew of the back story. We just asked at boarding if it would be possible.

DoppleBock

There would have to be a more special situation than you described.  I am a large guy and my knees make me cry if I can not stretch them out.

This situation thankfully did NOT happen to me as I was flying today.  However, I thought it might make an interesting poll question for those of you who travel.

Imaginary Scenario:

You are flying alone on Southwest airlines and you paid the extra $12.50 to board early.  You are able to get your desired aisle seat and room for your bag overhead.  The flight attendant makes the announcement that it's a very full flight.

Just as you are settling in before takeoff, the flight attendant approaches you.  She asks you if you would be willing to switch seats so a late boarding husband and wife can sit together.

You follow her gaze towards the seat she wants you to switch to: it's a middle seat between two rather large gentleman, whose shoulders and ample girths encroach significantly upon the middle seat space.  The seat is also several rows forward of where you are currently seated, with no room for your overhead bag.

You want to be nice (and you believe in wedded bliss), yet you paid to board first and you hate middle seats...

Would you switch seats?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

Why not just ask an adult to stand or ride in the bathroom? Probably just as safe.

Over the years, as a flyer, I feel more and more like we are just cattle to the airlines, being shuttled from point A to B.  I'm sure it won't be long before there is a "safety fee" to have a seat belt.

The only way to be treated like a real human is to fly premium classes or have status.  Building status out of a non-hub home airport is near-impossible.  Sad

kaleidoscopeEyes

This is kind of a lose-lose situation.  If you agree to switch, you are sitting in a middle seat between 2 large passengers.

If you do not agree to switch, you have to sit next to an annoyed passenger who thinks you are a bastard.

For me, it would depend on the following:

1. Will I get my $10 refunded, and get comped with something for my kind cooperation?  And will they ensure that my overhead bag is stored securely in one of the closets?
                                2. The late-boarding couple...are they newlyweds on their honeymoon, or are they The Lockhorns?  I would be more inclined to let honeymooners have my seat.  I'd also switch for these people.
                                3. How long is the flight?  Anything under 2 hours, I'd be more agreeable to switch.

Ultimately, I think the fairest thing for all, would be for all to be equally inconvenienced:

• The late-boarding married couple can sit together, but they have to sit in the 3-seater with one of the big guys.
                                • One of the big guys has to take the empty window seat in the 2-seater where I have my aisle seat.  (Ideally, the window-seated big guy in the 3-seater would be the one to move to my 2-seater because he still gets to sit in a window seat.)  

Everybody is equally inconvenienced.  The bigness of the big passengers is distributed evenly between 2 rows of passengers, inconveniencing all of them.  The married couple don't get a romantic, cozy 2-seater (and one of them has to be the monkey in the middle).  Neither of the 2 big guys gets to enjoy a luxurious space cushion.  I don't get a 2-seater all to my lucky self.

Seating strategies should always be based on the maximum number of people you can simultaneously dissatisfy.