Would you switch seats? (Read 354 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Seating strategies should always be based on the maximum number of people you can simultaneously dissatisfy.

You should work for an airline.  Or do you?

FSBD

I said it depends

Coming back from Thanksgiving at my sister's we had to connect in Philly.  Both directions I was able to book seats into Philly but could not book actual seat numbers leaving out of Philly.  Our first plane took off late and we literally had to sprint through the Philly airport to catch our connection.

My wife was about 2 months pregnant and extremely morning sick, she had already been sick 3 times that day and it wasn't even noon yet.  The guy in her row refused to change seats so she ended up in a middle seat curled up in the fetal position between 2 strangers while I was seated about 10 rows behind her.

I understand why people don't move but in this case a little compassion would have gone a long way.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

#artbydmcbride

Pregnant woman, SloHand's parents,  and parent with child, yeah I would probably switch for anyone, I am small and being between two big guys doesn't bother me.

I would ask for my $12 back though (also #cheapskate)

Runners run

ymmv

My wife was about 2 months pregnant and extremely morning sick, she had already been sick 3 times that day and it wasn't even noon yet.  The guy in her row refused to change seats so she ended up in a middle seat curled up in the fetal position between 2 strangers while I was seated about 10 rows behind her.

Sounds like it worked out pretty well for you! Wink

BeeRunB

This brief blog entry pertains to this topic:

http://jimmybrunelle.blogspot.com/2013/08/its-my-seat-not-yours.html

Enjoy!Cool

HermosaBoy

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

kaleidoscopeEyes

You should work for an airline.  Or do you?

I do not work for an airline, but if I did, it would be Total Bastard Airlines.

henryc

If you're too cheap to pay 24$ for a couple to board early, get your ass up early and check-in 24 hours early. I was able to check-in both my wife and kids and myself in under 2 different reservations last week and got consecutive boarding numbers on southwest.

If you can't do either, don't fly Southwest I guess.

Loves the outdoors

I'd move, I'm a bit of a sucker. I wouldn't have ever paid extra to board early though, however I don't think I've ever flown on an airline without assigned seats.

I was on a flight once from Buenos Aires to Auckland, where they overbooked a flight and clearly this woman had bullied the check-in staff (she proudly told us) to put her on the flight. I guess the check-in staff figured they'd make her the flight attendants problem. They double booked her into a child's seat who was travelling with his mother, hoping that he'd just sit on his mother's lap. The rather large flaw in this - he was about 11 years old and bigger than me! She just stood there refusing to deplane, causing a major scene. In the end, they moved another family with a small child into the staff sleeping quarters.

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

Hoban-Jay

This situation thankfully did NOT happen to me as I was flying today.  However, I thought it might make an interesting poll question for those of you who travel.

Imaginary Scenario:

You are flying alone on Southwest airlines and you paid the extra $12.50 to board early.  You are able to get your desired aisle seat and room for your bag overhead.  The flight attendant makes the announcement that it's a very full flight.

Just as you are settling in before takeoff, the flight attendant approaches you.  She asks you if you would be willing to switch seats so a late boarding husband and wife can sit together.

You follow her gaze towards the seat she wants you to switch to: it's a middle seat between two rather large gentleman, whose shoulders and ample girths encroach significantly upon the middle seat space.  The seat is also several rows forward of where you are currently seated, with no room for your overhead bag.

You want to be nice (and you believe in wedded bliss), yet you paid to board first and you hate middle seats...

Would you switch seats?

I wouldn't have paid extra to board early, and I wouldn't trade seats.  The couple if engaged in wedded biss, will remain blissfully together with or without my seat.

It depends.

If I were jammed in a window seat, I'd trade for an aisle seat....

Because I am Mother Fvck1n tired, of these Mvth3r Fvckin snakes, on this Moth3r Fvck1n Plane..

Mf'n Snakes on a Plane.  Damn.

Smile

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

DanB

I fly Southwest often and see this all the time. There is no way I am giving up my "Premium" seat to sit in a middle between two 300 pounders,  Not for a husband and wife, not for a mother and child, not for the Dahli Lama and Mother Teresa...

2013 Goals.......

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Why can't one of the 300lbs guys switch for the middle-seat next to you?  Then at least nobody is squished, you keep your promo, one 300lber gets a promo, and the couple sit together w/o getting an undeserved promo.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

HermosaBoy

I voted no, but did give up my seat in the past for a father and son.

It was kind of funny in my situation because I was flying with both of my sons (who were under 13), but not sitting next to them.  They like window seats and I like the aisle, so we always had a seat between one of us (and the other would be in a different row).

So, the father was trying to brow beat me by saying, "don't you want to sit by your son"?  To which I responded with the fact that I like my aisle seat thank you...

Anyway, after the airline offering free drinks for me (this was a flight to Hawaii) and some other incentives -- I agreed to switch to the middle seat by my son.  Everybody wins...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

GC100k

not for the Dahli Lama and Mother Teresa...

The Dalai Lama has a huge private jet that he travels in.  My university paid him a half million to fly in on his private jet and speak to us for an hour.

As for Mother Teresa...