Track Spikes in Snow? (Read 104 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Tomorrow, I'd really like to get my scheduled speedwork session in, but there is a 100% chance of snow, 1-3 inches.  Not excited about risking an injury slipping and falling on the track.

I could just push it back to Thursday - wouldn't be the first time - but an idea occurred to me.  I work at a school with a healthy track program, and the track coach probably wouldn't mind lending me a pair of track spikes.  I've never put a pair of spikes on my feet before...would this be a good idea (I know they're very minimal in terms of support, even less so than the GoRun 4's I usually use), and would they give me any advantage with traction in the snow?  Or should I just push it back and go for an easy run from the house at whatever pace I can safely manage?

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

joescott

Don't do it!  Just push it back a couple of days.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Are you really asking if you should use a pair of borrowed spikes to do speedwork in the snow?

Push it back. Use your ham cubin' skills to make some nice split pea soup. Enjoy the weather. Get at it on Thursday.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
        mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Are you really asking if you should use a pair of borrowed spikes to do speedwork in the snow?

Push it back. Use your ham cubin' skills to make some nice split pea soup. Enjoy the weather. Get at it on Thursday.

I am indeed!  But yeah, you guys are probably right.  Just the part about having never worn them before puts me in danger of injury, almost as much as the snow.  Cubing ham puts me in danger of losing a fingertip, but that wouldn't affect my running, I don't think.

I just hate having my schedule disrupted, trying to come up with a solution.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

spinach

Since you haven't run in spikes before, I wouldn't do some speed work in them in the snow tomorrow. And if you are only getting 1 to 3 inches of snow, without knowing what is under the snow, they may not not give you that much additional traction anyway.  If there is a sheet of packed snow or ice underneath, then they would help a lot. If pavement, not much help and you will ruin the spikes.

Either take a day off or go out in the snow and have a nice slow  fun run  and wait a day or two to do the speedwork.  Or, if your school has an indoor track, do you speed work in there.

Just go play in the snow Smile

I'll do hill work and whatever in packed snow up here using Kahtoola microspikes, but they're more substantial than track spikes. Fresh snow is not the same as packed snow, although it's not too bad if there's a base under it.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Use a treadmill like us northerners have been doing all winter.

Dave

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Use a treadmill like us northerners have been doing all winter.

Eh, it's an option...I guess I can just lay on the "Speed +" button when it's time for each interval, but I wouldn't like the gradual buildup to the 5K pace.

Plus: treadmill.  Had enough of that thing doing my 10-mile tempo run yesterday.

Eh, it's an option...I guess I can just lay on the "Speed +" button when it's time for each interval, but I wouldn't like the gradual buildup to the 5K pace.

Plus: treadmill.  Had enough of that thing doing my 10-mile tempo run yesterday.

Hey, I didn't say you had to like it.

Dave