side cramp (Read 1000 times)

I am just starting back to running and am getting a cramp in my right side. Any idea what this is and what I should do. I'm thinking that it may go away once I build of my stamina. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
    Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

jimmychoo, What you got is called a side stitch. It gets progressively more painful if you don't slow down, and you'll get less and less air as your diaphragm locks up, which will force you to slow down whether you like it or not. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but no one knows the exact cause of the side stitch. Lance posted a link in the health and nutrition forum about one possible explanation for this: http://www.runningahead.com/frm_topic.aspx?id=c273fb408bd9421a8dba2936295add3b From my personal experience, I tend to get them when I go out too fast, before I have a chance to warm up fully. If you get them consistently on your runs, try running a little slower in the beginning, and then pick it up once you feel everything is loose. Another thing I noticed when I get them is my breathing is out of whack. Instead of expanding my stomach on the inhale, it actually contracts. Conversely, when I exhale, the stomach expands. If this is the case, then the obvious thing to do is force yourself to breathe right, with deep breaths, and force your diaphragm all the way up on the inhale.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hi, Lori...from a fellow Michigander (though I am Cheesehead by birth...I now live on the Western side of the lower pen.). How's life up by the locks? Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I got a horrible side stitch today when I went running right after eating. That could be one reason.
          -Kris

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character." --Albert Einstein

Prophet!

i used to get these pretty bad but i read somewhere that it helps when you adjust your breathing and land on your left foot when you exhale...forgot what was the reasoning but it works for me...i also try to really expand my diaphraghm breathing in and contract when breathing out..that seems to help as well..
            Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

i used to get these pretty bad but i read somewhere that it helps when you adjust your breathing and land on your left foot when you exhale...forgot what was the reasoning but it works for me...i also try to really expand my diaphraghm breathing in and contract when breathing out..that seems to help as well..
              There's a link in this post that talked about it. http://www.runningahead.com/frm_topic.aspx?id=c273fb408bd9421a8dba2936295add3b Is this valid only if you're inhaling and exhaling every other step? Does it apply if you're on a 2/2 breathing cycle (2 steps for inhale, and 2 steps for exhale)?
                Try this: Slow your pace a little bit clech your fists, take in a big breath and quickly puff it out. Exhale hard enough that your abdomen and your chest flinch.. Repeat several times until it eases. (similar to coughing) I read this somewhere and it always helped me and other runners. Give it a try and let me know if it works for you. I imagine this is a twist on the adjusting your breathing theory. Happy Running Dave
                WHO FARTLEK"D ?
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Funny this thread should resurrect. I just had one last night. Haven't had more than one/month since I started running. I mostly just tried to ignore it and breathe deeply enough to stretch my abdominal muscles out. Worked well enough, as the pain was gone before the one mile marker of my 5 mile run. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Try this: Slow your pace a little bit clech your fists, take in a big breath and quickly puff it out. Exhale hard enough that your abdomen and your chest flinch.. Repeat several times until it eases. (similar to coughing) I read this somewhere and it always helped me and other runners. Give it a try and let me know if it works for you. I imagine this is a twist on the adjusting your breathing theory. Happy Running Dave
                    I found a site that describes my suggestion and the foot placement/breathing method/ http://www.runnersrescue.com/Side_Stiches_Running.htm Dave
                    WHO FARTLEK"D ?