Carlsbad Half Marathon race report (Read 546 times)

I was up at 4AM and had my very scientific, perfectly calculated pre-race meal...a small slice of cheese pizza and a red bull. Big grin Gathered my gear and was out the door at 4:45 to pick up my gf who was planning on walking the half...it's her first time. As I walked out the door, I was greeted my Mister Moon...he was a kinda wonky shape, trying to get full, but impressive nonetheless. As we pulled onto the freeway the moon was an incredible orange/yellow...wish I had a camera but my batteries were dead in the little point and shoot I brought. We got a little lost on the way but found our way to the parking and headed out for our first porta potty run. It was dark, cold, and we had our blankets. We waited in the car chatting, did a second pp run and one last one as headed to the start at 7:15. It was 37 when I left the house and it still felt that cold but remembering last year, I left my fleece vest behind and went with the gloves. Are you ever ready at the start? I was feeling like I wouldn't be able to go all out and super nervous. Away we went! This course doesn't have an elevation chart because it doesn't have enough elevation changes. BULL. I'm a flatlander and those were HILLS. non-stop. Fortunately, since I'm not a hill person, I don't know any better and kept on. At about mile 5 I was thinking I went out too fast, didn't think I'd hold it. I took my gu. Got to the turn around and then some and suddenly woke up and I was in the race...I looked at Garmin and I was at 7.91 miles. whew. half way there. I started pacing a guy with a White Rock marathon shirt on. Just behind to the side of him. We kept each other going and chatted a bit. It really helped. I lost him at around mile 12. Mile 13 was down hill and I thought, TUCK n ROLL!!! There I went! I couldn't believe I was almost done! My mile splits: 7:59 7:23 7:37 7:30 7:42 7:26 7:37 7:24 7:17 7:17 7:23 7:18 6:59 1:47 (.30) garmin measured me at 13.3 miles chip time: 1:38:37 / 7:32 pace and a new PR. WHEW!!!! I waited at the end and shook White Rocks hand and thanked him. I feel really great. I woke up with sore knee and put some biofreeze on it and it felt great in minutes. My piriformis was bugging me by mile 8 but I think I'm just used to that at this point. It was a great race. I'm really happy. Didn't get my 1:37 time but still, better than I had hoped for. Last year, I pr'd this same course with a 1:47:19 so this was a great improvement.

Jennifer mm#1231

Well done, Lifesabeach Good to see someone put in the work and then have it pay off. In looking at your other PR's this one qualifies as a major breakthrough. Usually when you see one like this there is more on the way. Nice pacing, and great finish. This is what it takes, people--check out the mileage in that log. Congratulations!
      Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
      Len

Damn Yankee

That is awesome! What a great race. You definitely earned that very excellent time. I'm running my first 1/2 in Feb, and your training and the result are definitely motivating.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

Dave

Very, very well done. Awesome to see your last mile as your fastest. It certainly is credit to your training, or possibly red bull and pizza Wink

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

madness baby

Congrats Jen on a great PR! That race was my first HM last year, and I agree, for a "flat" race those were some hills! But beautiful views. . . Nice work - you are fast! Smile
            deb
              thanks everyone. This race certainly helped my confidence heading into the taper for SC.
              Well done, Lifesabeach Good to see someone put in the work and then have it pay off. In looking at your other PR's this one qualifies as a major breakthrough. Usually when you see one like this there is more on the way. Nice pacing, and great finish. This is what it takes, people--check out the mileage in that log. Congratulations!
              thank you! my mileage really picked up in the 6 weeks since my last half marathon in November. I did a 1:42 there (and was super happy!) so I was really surprised I was able to chop off almost 4 minutes from that time.

Jennifer mm#1231

Awesome Jen!! Nice splits... good luck at your upcoming marathon (and Boston of course). Smile
                  Congratulations Jen!!! Nice race! I knew you'd kick butt!! Now, time to taper. Big grin

Michelle

btb1490

PR, PR, PR!!!! Look at that last mile split! Congrats!

#artbydmcbride

What do you mean hills, it was flat as a board! Wink Just kidding, Great Job!! Congratulations on your PR! Big grin

Runners run

Another Passion

Great race, Jennifer! Congratulations! Can I borrow your winged shoes in April? Pretty please?!? Shy

Rick
                        "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                        "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                        runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Congratulations, Jen! I loved your race report.

Amy

That is awesome! What a great race. You definitely earned that very excellent time. I'm running my first 1/2 in Feb, and your training and the result are definitely motivating.
                            Hey Len, How come a Cop from Texas has a Giants Cap as his profile pic? Not complaining as I'm very happy (but in shock) that my Giants are going to the Superbowl.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Haha, You beat me by 5 seconds! i would have run faster if i had known Big grin I really enjoyed the race, my goal was to break 1:40 and i got it with a minute to spare beating my previous best time by a minute. The temperature was ideal and compared to my annual la jolla half marathon that was a very flat course Wink Congratulations on your PB !
                                oh wow, we were neck n neck! Big grin COngrats to you too! Hey, I looked at your profile picture...that's a nice shot of you heading up Torrey Pines...was that last years LJHM? I ran it last year and beat my Carlsbad time by almost 3 minutes...I thought it was a much easier course despite TP.

Jennifer mm#1231