VO2 parameter for beginner (Read 97 times)

Rtf

Hello!

I gonna start to jogging. And... I want supervise my dynamic of VO2 parameter.

But Garmin 235 is not cheap ... 250$. Lab test is not cheap too ~ 200$.

Wood you give any advise for beginner like me ?

Thanks!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Google VO2Max calculator. Jack Daniels also has a derivative VDOT value that can be determined from race times, how ever if your intent is to track improvement, a simple time trial or race run periodically can do that.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

I concur with wcrunner2; there are several VO2max estimators based on performance that are accurate enough to be benchmarks for you to compare with others and to compare with your progress later; assuming you use the SAME estimator. Jack Daniels is probably the better one.

However, a GPS running watch is almost a must-have for runners now. I use a Polar M430, and it has it's own set of fitness tests and data that can estimate VO2max. Also, it's nice to have data available, and it automatically loads to a calendar and gives you effort and recovery estimates and a bunch of other stuff, so you don't need to write down "4 miles" on your wall calendar to keep track. And during runs you can check on your pace or heart rate, etc. In my opinion well worth $200-300 for a watch that will last you many years and provide such info. Buying used online for $100 might be a more attractive option for you.

Another measurement of fitness that you can track is your resting pulse rate. Each morning before getting out of bed, take your pulse for a full minute and write it down. Be aware that the mornings after hard workouts it will be higher than your average.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

My advice for a beginner would be not to use one unless you have some health issues.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Marky_Mark_17

The Garmin 235 is an excellent running watch with GPS/heart rate and I'd highly recommend it.

I wouldn't get too hung up on VO2Max though.  The watch estimates it, but it's not that accurate (mine varies between 62-68 depending on terrain, season, effort, etc.).  You can benchmark it in all sorts of ways.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

snake84

Hello!

I gonna start to jogging.....

Then have at it. Snag up a decent pair of wheel, hit the road and enjoy the beginner gains.

strambo

I finally got a Garmin 235 and really like it (and its ability to use accessories like the running dynamics pod, chest strap etc.)...but all you need is free online mapping software (like the tool on this site) and a stopwatch.

The routes I mapped here and on Google Earth matched my Garmin to within 1/100th of a mile and of course my pace is a simple function of distance/time.

The GPS watch comes into its own when travelling or exploring new routes and trails etc.  I take the heart rate data and VO2 max estimates with a big grain of salt however.  Nice to have data, but not a deal breaker.  Oh, and the Garmin distance is 10% off in the dense trees of my favorite trail, that's a full mile per 10...I know because the trail is marked every 1/4 mile.

Run for 6 months, enter a suitable race and reward yourself with the watch after finishing provided you like and want to keep running.

gsaun039

Caffeine-fueled Runner

To me, the VO2 max or V(dot) O2 is kinda secondary.  It's useful from a race standpoint to help see progress, but you probably know that already from improving race times.

As for HR, I have used HR data from the start since I resumed running.  Started with a chest strap based system and used that to set HR zones.  A couple of years ago I wanted to ditch the HR strap and go for a wrist based system.  I went with a TomTom Runner2 with music.  Before I relied upon the new system, I compared the HR strap data with the TomTom.  There were rare cases where they diverged briefly (mostly cold days when the wrist-based system seemed to read quite low compared to my perceived effort and the chest HR monitor).  Once up to temperature, they varied only slightly (2-3 bpm at most).  And for the average HR during a longer run or during longer speed segments, I found that they were within 1 bpm of each other (accepting, of course, that the chest strap was probably the more precise).

I retired my TomTom back in April after waiting for TomTom to correct a problem they had created with a software/firmware change.  I sprung for the Fenix 5 when Garmin dropped the prices prior to the introduction of the Plus versions.  Since I found that having music onboard a watch wasn't as "critical" a feature (my TomTom had it and I used it at certain times, but in the end I discovered that training with music is probably a bit more dangerous than I was willing to accept).  TomTom also had First Beats technology applied to the data (Garmin use is more robust).

I do like the training features of the watch and as I'm rebuilding my running base after a 5-month layoff, it seems to be a useful feature.

PR's--- 5K  24:11,   10K  49:40,   10-Mile  1:26:02,  HM  1:56:03,   Marathon  4:16:17

Maniac #11112, Fanatic #14276, Double Agent #2335