Is sub 3 possible for me in 9 weeks? 16 weeks actually (Read 624 times)

I didn't make it, about 3 minutes over, 3:03. It was just too hard to hold at the end. The hills between mile 23 and 24 were just too difficult to manage. I wasn't able to speed up after that. My legs were just dead. Here is the split.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

runmomto3boys

So darn close and a PR at that!  Congratulations!!!  One more cycle and you are cracking 3:00, no doubt.

Julia1971

So glad you posted.  The suspense was killing me!

You missed your goal but you should be really proud of that time.  Congratulations on the PR!

Feeling the growl again

It looks to me like you ran a pretty good race.  You slowed down some at the end, but you didn't blow up and held most of the miles 7:1X except on the hill.  As I said way earlier in this thread, I thought sub-3 was out of reach.  But I think you came very close to maximizing what was within your reach with the 3:03.  Great job, I hope you're happy with it.

What were your half splits?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

bhearn

Excellent job, David, congratulations. And way to kill that BQ, even while living dangerously. You've got that sub-3, now, it's just a matter of time.

Very impressive, sub 3 or no sub 3, well done David.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Congratulations David.

steph  

mikeymike

Very impressive. Congrats.

Runners run

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Really great race, David.  Congrats!  I'm very glad you didn't blow up.  This was an amazing performance.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Thanks guys. Here is my race report.

Pre-race eating:

Saturday I ate a lot to have the final carb loading.
                      Breakfast:2 pieces of whole grain toast with peanut butter, a glass of orange juice and a banana.
                      Morning snack:a banana and a handful of cashew nut
                      Lunch:white rice with lots of vegetable (onion, celery, eggplants, turnip, zucchini) and beef (slow cook)
                      Half a banana before a 3-mile run in the afternoon
                      Dinner:the name as lunch
                      Before going to sleep, I had 2 pieces of whole grain toast with peanut butter, a glass of orange juice
                      I woke up at 2am and couldn't sleep for 2 hours. Had the same toasts at 3am.
                      Got up at 5:30 and had 1 piece of whole wheat toast with peanut butter, half banana and a glass of orange juice.

Saturday race:

I got to the race venue at 7:20am. Everywhere was a long queue for the Porta Potty. Luckily the local grocery store opened their washroom for runners. So I managed to get the job done before the race.

It was quite a big crowd even there were only less than 100 marathoners as all races started at the same time.

I walked along the route using Google Street map last night, so I was quite familiar with each hills. Therefore, I was quite prepared.

I think my fuelling was good. I used all 5 GUs and drank at every water station, rotating with water and energy drink. I wish there were more water stations in the second half.

After about 10K, I followed a guy who was targeting a sub 3 as well. We ran together and rotated to lead all the way till 35km (22mi). It was great to work together that way. Runkeeper told me that I was on the target pace all the way until that point as well (except the beginning). After that, the hills were just too difficult for me. I couldn't manage to follow him. I tried all sorts of tricks. I talked to myself that I am strong, I can do it. I imagined all you guys were rooting for me. I said to myself that this is the moment of the ultimate test of marathon and I needed to focus. I just needed to keep turning my legs, keep relaxing, focus on my posture. However, a mile long stretched hill was not ending. I slipped my pace now and then. I knew the last 5K would be most downhill, but it didn't help. There was still gentle rolling hills. That wasn't help at that stage. I kept telling myself it is the last 5K and I just had to keep going. I need to forget about the dead legs, just keep turning them. I tried to speed up with faster legs turning. The Runkeeper reported that I was behind my target pace, 1s/mi, 2, 3, 4, 5. I doubted that I could make it but I still hoped the Runkeeper might get the GSP measurement wrong. Unfortunately this time it was damn accurate. As usual, the last 3km was like 10km. I kept running but the marker didn't seem to change at all.

I could hardly walk after the finish. It was the hardest among my 3 long-distance races. It took about an hour to get some recovery to walk some distance. I was like a baby just learning how to walk.

I was a bit disappointed that I couldn't make a sub-3. However, as you all pointed out, my mileage was just not enough for the endurance needed for a sub-3. Anyhow, I am happy that it is a 7-minute PR.

Thanks all for the suggestions and comments. I have learned a lot.

MTA: One thing I forgot to mention. It was a big mistake to wear minimalist shoes (no padding) which I bought 3 weeks ago and tried on 17-mile and 13-mile long run and the speed workout. It was very light, but the absorption was just not enough. I felt my calves getting tired just after 10km. I had some negative thoughts, but immediately I thought: well this is marathon. Marathon spirit is to manage difficult time. So I got over it quite quickly.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

Great job David and congrats on a very good time and a PR!

I have 3 weeks until my goal race as well.  Also hoping to crack 3, but I know it will be tough!

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

Goorun

Well done David. No reason to be disappointed. Big PR and sub 3 is just around the corner. You ran this race like a pro.

As far as your choice of shoes, are you talking really minimalist shoes or racing flats? There is a difference, but this is one of the things you can fix for the next race.

Slow and steady never wins anything.

C-R

Good stuff David.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Well done David. No reason to be disappointed. Big PR and sub 3 is just around the corner. You ran this race like a pro.

As far as your choice of shoes, are you talking really minimalist shoes or racing flats? There is a difference, but this is one of the things you can fix for the next race.

I think it is race flat. I don't have much knowledge about the shoes. I usually go to the shoe shops and described what I wanted and the assistant suggested one for me. I think my legs are not strong enough to wear that kind of shoes for a marathon.

It is New Balance MR10V2-D.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ATL7UR6/ref=twister_B0096615AS

Great job David and congrats on a very good time and a PR!

I have 3 weeks until my goal race as well.  Also hoping to crack 3, but I know it will be tough!

Good luck. Your training looks great, much better than mine.