Is sub 3 possible for me in 9 weeks? 16 weeks actually (Read 624 times)

Feeling the growl again

I think it is race flat. I don't have much knowledge about the shoes. I usually go to the shoe shops and described what I wanted and the assistant suggested one for me. I think my legs are not strong enough to wear that kind of shoes for a marathon.

It is New Balance MR10V2-D.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ATL7UR6/ref=twister_B0096615AS

A racing flat has a thin sole with minimal cushioning, but most are made to match the hell/toe drop of the average trainer.  A minimalist type shoe -- which is what you linked above -- has a minimal heel-toe drop.

In other words, it's not the flat that killed you, it's the difference in heel-toe drop between your trainer and your racer.  This is why it was your calves that felt it and not your quads.  Frankly it's pretty impressive that you did so well in them.

I raced the full marathon in normally designed "5K flats" for many years, and used them for my HM this morning.  I seem to be too old to really make it to the end of a full marathon in them anymore, so I've switched to something with a bit more cushion.  It takes a lot of miles of conditioning your legs by training in flats to be able to race a full marathon in them.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Congratulations on the big PR, David. 

I've enjoyed following this thread and your progress.

Liz

pace sera, sera

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Outstanding job David!  You have every right to feel proud of this effort!

npaden

Congrats!  This has been a great thread to follow along on.

Sorry you didn't make sub 3, but looks like you ran a great race and like everyone else has said, another solid training cycle and sub 3 is yours.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Feeling the growl again

another solid training cycle and sub 3 is yours.

+1.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

B-Plus

Congrats David! Last time when you surprised us, I wasn't surprised at all. But this time I am. Don't get me wrong, you definitely have the speed for sub-3. I just didn't think you would get this close this time with your short build up. Stay consistent and that sub-3 is yours.

Well done David. No reason to be disappointed. Big PR and sub 3 is just around the corner. You ran this race like a pro.

As far as your choice of shoes, are you talking really minimalist shoes or racing flats? There is a difference, but this is one of the things you can fix for the next race.

I remember about a year and a half ago Goo told me sub 3 would be mine as long as I didn't take any more long breaks. 5 months later, I got it. No long breaks for you either! Take a week or two to recover then try to stay in the habit of running if you really want that sub-3! Good luck.

I still can't imagine eating all that food though. Whatever works.

Great thread, btw.

bhearn

Take a week or two to recover then try to stay in the habit of running if you really want that sub-3! Good luck.

Might I recommend going for it at Boston. 

Mmmmm...beer

Great job David, congrats on the PR!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Goorun

+1

Slow and steady never wins anything.

Goorun

A racing flat has a thin sole with minimal cushioning, but most are made to match the hell/toe drop of the average trainer.  A minimalist type shoe -- which is what you linked above -- has a minimal heel-toe drop.

In other words, it's not the flat that killed you, it's the difference in heel-toe drop between your trainer and your racer.  This is why it was your calves that felt it and not your quads.  Frankly it's pretty impressive that you did so well in them.

I raced the full marathon in normally designed "5K flats" for many years, and used them for my HM this morning.  I seem to be too old to really make it to the end of a full marathon in them anymore, so I've switched to something with a bit more cushion.  It takes a lot of miles of conditioning your legs by training in flats to be able to race a full marathon in them.

Well explained.

I race in Adidas adiZero Feather racing flats which have more cushioning than some other racing flats. They still weight only 6.7 ounces for men.

Slow and steady never wins anything.

B-Plus

I think I'll give it a shot there as well.

xhristopher

Congrats, David. Not what you wanted but a hell of a run. If you want that sub 3 this is a good result to build from.

Just damn impressive.  Congrats on the great effort and result.

Ready, go.

muppy

Very nicely done David, it sounds like you ran up to your potential, congratulations!

kcam

Congratulations!  Sub3 or no, that was a good race.  Like the others have said, I think if you stay on the fitness you've built (recover but don't take an extended break) you can knock it out on your next cycle.