ankle problem (Read 370 times)

So I deal with a problem ankle and was wondering if anyone else has or had similar issues. I took a rock climbing fall about 7 years ago and shattered my right heel and crushed my right ankle. I had surgery to repair the damage, and am now the proud owner of 8 screws and 2 plates in my ankle and foot. Needles to say that I wasn't much of a runner immediately after that. I spent several years dealing with some pain, and severe arthritis with motion issues due to this injury. I have always been very outdoorsy, and have been determined to overcome this obstacle. For the most part I have been successful. I took up running earlier this year, just trying it out to see if I could. Funny thing is that my ankle wasn't nearly as stiff after a run as it was after a long walk or hike. The problem that I am seeking advice for isn't from the running, but the everyday activities, like work when I have to be on my feet quite a bit. I end up having my ankle give me difficulty after days like this. This is to the extent that at times I need assistance walking, and I have a noticeable limp quite often. My doctor hasn't been able to provide any clear advice except to just kind of deal with it - but has been supportive of the running. That's where I am wondering if anyone else has had to deal with a similar situation, and if you have any advice of what has helped you in the past. I would really appreciate any input or ideas that may have helped you. I know that I can't fix my ankle motion, but perhaps some ideas to make it more flexible and forgiving would be beneficial. Thanks!
    - Tony