What does 500 feet of elevation gain in four miles look like? (Read 458 times)

jicama

Did we win?

The race happened yesterday and I finally finished in 4:59:32.  To answer the original question in the title of this thread, 500 feet of elevation gain in four miles looks like 45 degrees (on this course, anyway).  I expect that it was unpaved because paving equipment couldn't operate on such a slope.  I'm glad that I didn't drive the course ahead of time because it might have messed with my mind; I was better off not knowing.  It was horrible.

To give an idea of how difficult the race was, the winners barely broke three hours.  Here's my workout and here are the race results (I was finisher 185 out of 225).  I'm going to continue icing my ankles (they're in really bad shape) and I'm staying home from work tomorrow.

I can't wait to run it again next year!  This was the best first marathon I could have asked for.  Smile

2014 races"

Heart & Sole Half-Marathon,  Goldsboro, NC, Feb.8, 2:22

Umstead Trail Marathon, Raleigh, NC, Mar. 1, 5:48

Johnston Health Champions 5K, Smithfield, NC, 26:53

Rattler Trail Half-Marathon, Sanford, NC, 2:52 (wow)

2013 races:

Heart & Sole Half-Marathon,  Goldsboro, NC, Feb. 2, 1:56:40 (PR)

New River Marathon, Todd, NC, May 4, 4:59:32 (PR)

Triple Lakes Trail Race (40 mile), Greensboro, NC, Oct. 5, DNF after 31 miles in 7:48

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Congrats. I did not see your original post. I did a race report on my blog Sad  for the 2011 race.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

jicama

Did we win?

So, you know what that hill looks like.  Would you ever run it again?  I'm going to try to run it next (every) year.  I loved it.  I'll love it even more when I can run again; my shins are SHOT!

2014 races"

2013 races:

Triple Lakes Trail Race (40 mile), Greensboro, NC, Oct. 5, DNF after 31 miles in 7:48

Master of Inconsistency

Just wondering why your splits are so messed up , did your Garmin freakout or something ?

Ain't  Wastin' Time No More !

jicama

Did we win?

No.  I knew that I wouldn't be able to run the whole distance so I planned to "Galloway".  Things went well for a while but the uphill run made my legs cramp and I could only run until that happened.  The cramps kept coming all the way to the end so I had more walk breaks than I expected.  I hit the lap button at every transition from run to walk, and vice-verse.  I had a lot of cramps. :-)

2014 races"

2013 races: