Anybody had been running through Piriformis Syndrome? (Read 3988 times)

wolfstar76文戈

I am pretty sure that the pain in my butt is Piriformis Syndrome, and it has been there for months after LA Marathon. Just feel like I might be able to run it through, anybody has similar experience?
      Yes.  I was diagnosed about 3 years ago with PS.  What worked the best for me was a good shoe fitting + orthotics by a pedorthist in a sports medicine clinic.  I have not had much of a problem since.  When my butt gets sore, I sit on a tennis ball until  - ouch, ouch, ouch - ahhhhh - it goes away.  

MTA: Oh, and I was advised to continue running if I wanted to.  Most important were the exercises and the shoes.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Been there...  Yoga (pigeon stretch after every run or workout, too), pilates, and sitting on a golf ball to "work it out" did it for me.

"I aim to misbehave."

Feeling the growl again

I've had it so bad it was nearly debilitating.  I tried all the usual fixes, stretches, etc and none of it worked really well.  Then one day as it gnawed at me on a run I got fed up and ran a mile as hard as I could.  It hurt like hell during and after, and then the next day the pain was magically gone.  This has worked a couple times to loosed it up and fix the irritation for me.

I share this with caution, I could see this fix causing more problems than it fixes in some situations.  Piriformis is irritation of the nerve, often by a tight muscle, and there are several things to try to fix that.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

BeeRunB

Sometimes, time off is the best thing. Consider taking a rest for a few weeks.

2-3 weeks might get you a pain-free existence in 2-3 weeks instead

having the injury for the rest of the year. Take as much stress off

your mind and body as possible. You are injured. That's your body

saying stop. If you don't want to entertain that idea, try running at a low intensity for awhile.

Something like 65% of your MHR,  in that neighborhood. Until you are healed.

Once you're healed, consider a strength program that might address a possible

weakness that is causing an imbalance.

Good luck. I hope you heal fast.

--Jimmy

p.s. Here' a link that might be helpful.

I did a modified Spaniel approach. I basically stepped my running up after reducing mileage/frequency because of the pain. Then I had a race and went all out and it seemed to be gone. I had it for a couple of months, if I'm recalling correctly. It was not fun. I did do some stretching for it and massage. Good luck.
              wolfstar76文戈

Thanks for your kindly replies, I am truly encourage to keep on running and hopefully it will just go away with better shoe-fitting and stretching/foam rolling.

I was suggested to wear stability shoe due to my over pronation. However, recently I heard numerous story that stability shoes cause various problems, I myself also started to exprience PS lately.

Now I decide to go back to neutral shoes, of course, after I paid much attention to correct my running form. 

Feeling the growl again

I was suggested to wear stability shoe due to my over pronation. However, recently I heard numerous story that stability shoes cause various problems, I myself also started to exprience PS lately.

I am no minimalist, but I have seen far more harm from "stability" and "control" shoes than good.  Start with neutral, preferably on the lighter end, and adjust from there.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Rynamite

I dealt with PS a few years ago. Lots of stretching, tennis ball work, foam roller, chiropractor appointments, massages, and advil. It eventually went away....but it was a pain in the butt until it did

My buddy is an OD, he recommended kinesio taping...but I never tried it.

Hoodoo Guru

Sometimes, time off is the best thing. Consider taking a rest for a few weeks.

2-3 weeks might get you a pain-free existence in 2-3 weeks instead

having the injury for the rest of the year. Take as much stress off

your mind and body as possible. You are injured. That's your body

saying stop. If you don't want to entertain that idea, try running at a low intensity for awhile.

Something like 65% of your MHR,  in that neighborhood. Until you are healed.

Once you're healed, consider a strength program that might address a possible

weakness that is causing an imbalance.

Good luck. I hope you heal fast.

--Jimmy

p.s. Here' a link that might be helpful.

I agree with this.  I took a couple of weeks off, massaged it by sitting on a tennis ball, and did my stretches.  May have been more like 3-4 weeks for me, butt it worked.  (Get it?  "BUTT it worked."  Oh, never mind.)

The tangents are moot.

Geely

I dealt with PS a few years ago. Lots of stretching, tennis ball work, foam roller, chiropractor appointments, massages, and advil. It eventually went away....but it was a pain in the butt until it did

My buddy is an OD, he recommended kinesio taping...but I never tried it.

I've just started looking into the tape for PS. did your friend explain how to tape yourself?

KvnJns

I did a search for Piriformis and got this thread. Kinda glad I did that as I have been dealing with this for a couple weeks now and it Sucks.

Kevin

uncontrollable

yes - total pain in the arse

peace

yes - total pain in the arse

Yes, I've had it since February.  This is the 2nd time I've come down with it.  Years ago I cured it through physical therapy but this time physical therapy has failed me.  My only thought is I've been averaging over 3,000 miles per year many years now and the wear and tear might have caught up with me.  I don't want to give up though but this time around I want to find a way out!  I'm thinking about trying a different physical therapist next.

Chasing the bus

My Chiropractor (he's a good guy, has kept me on the road more than anything else I've done), says that's what I've been dealing with for the last two years, off and on, along with low back pain (Which one came first? Did the low back pain irritate the P.S.?). Mine shut me down when I got debilitating pain on the illiac crest, of all places. Apparently the spasming P. pulled the muscle attachments to the point of pain? I know the P. doesn't attach there, but other muscles involved sympathetically? I dunno. Chiro. has me doing stretching and massage. I've just started running again, and managing to be pain free on runs, but not necessarily all day. The PS still flares easily. Illiac crest pain mostly gone.

Funny about running faster. Mine seemed to flare if I tried to run fast, or too much...I think I'll keep doing what's working for now, but keep it in mind.

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
                                Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test