Moderators/Ignore Functions (Read 924 times)

JakeKnight

I hate to say it, but its time to start thinking about adding some of the usual policing type functions in the forums. I mostly hate to say it because when I end up getting banned by a moderator, the irony will be pretty embarrassing. Nevertheless, as this place continues to expand, its going to start getting uglier. I left here months back because I thought it was already happening, and didn't really want to see it. I'm not leaving this time. I'm staying and fighting the nonsense, or at least amusing myself in the Swamp. But I've seen at least a dozen good Internet communities destroyed completely once the bickering over politics, religion, race, etc. all began, and the trolls showed up, and the divisive identity politics started, and soon half the place hated the other half. It sucks. And it's going to happen here sooner or later, if we aren't proactive about it. I'm not talking about censorship. I'm talking about having a few moderators to crack down on the stupidheads. Including me. This place needs a few moderators. And an ignore function would be very, very helpful. This place is special. I hope it stays that way.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

*nods* What the hairy ape says...

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

In fact, you could easily make it a user controlled moderation bit - if enough people ignore somebody, that could mean something, right?

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Are you guys trying to tell me something...? Evil grin

~ Sarah Kay

I really like the "lock" function on the user groups. It allows messages to remain and hence not be censored. But also to end discussions when it is appropriate. One question is who are the moderators going to be? Its an awfully big, thankless job....
            Wingz

Professional Noob

I think JakeKnight should be a moderator. It'd make life more interesting... Evil grin Evil grin Evil grin

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think JakeKnight should be a moderator. It'd make life more interesting... Evil grin Evil grin Evil grin
                Big grin Loose nut on the keyboard... Evil grin

~ Sarah Kay

Please keep the nuts off the keyboard.
                  JakeKnight

I'd think hypothetical moderators would be chosen for discipline and maturity. Thus ruling me out entirely. Of course, moderators come with their own sets of problems: claims of favoritism, issues of resentment, abuses of power. (More reasons why it wouldn't be me - I wouldn't last five minutes before I started banning some of you dolts just because I could). The truth is I don't really want moderators. I just want people to act like people. I don't want to see this place turn inevitably into every other site on the Web. (But I *do* want that ignore function). I only brought it up for two reasons: 1) In a year or two, when we've got groups for pro-choice and pro-life and hunters versus vegetarians and atheists versus catholic and dog lovers versus dog haters and every political group and every other narrow one-dimensional category of self-identified self-applied labels that dominate the Internet, all hating on each other, I'm going to look like a frickin' genius; and 2) More importantly, maybe by pointing this out once in a while, it will shame people into acting like grown ups. If enough people point it out and discourage the stupidity - maybe we won't need moderators. We'll see. I just know how this usually goes, and its definitely started. It's pretty much ruined the Internet. I hope I'm wrong.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                    -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

2) More importantly, maybe by pointing this out once in a while, it will shame people into acting like grown ups. If enough people point it out and discourage the stupidity - maybe we won't need moderators.
                      Sure would be nice, too...but doesn't seem to follow human nature, unfortunately.

~ Sarah Kay

pandajenn19

Jake, I think you have too much faith in people. But, I'm feeling a bit jaded today. Smile I just stepped down as a moderator on a site that now has over 700,000 registered users and I have little faith left in people. But, it would be lovely to not have this board be like every other one on the internet. I've no doubt I've contributed to the corruption of this board because I'm used to all the others, and for that I am sorry. So the question is, do you work to maintain something that is difficult to maintain, or do you lower your expectations? I think the first is the better option, even for a cynical biddy like me. (Am I old enough to be a biddy? Wink )

Why is it sideways?

Sure would be nice, too...but doesn't seem to follow human nature, unfortunately.
                          Problematic philosophical claim. I'm with PJ on this one.
                          Neil Gunn

Gandalf the Grey

It's pretty much ruined the Internet.
                            Trent will be upset. Evil grin Neil

Running ... just keep running!

Why is it sideways?

It's pretty much ruined the Internet Trenternet.
                              Fixed.

Lazy idiot

Fixed. (Trenternet)
                                Can I get this term trademarked? Wink

Tick tock