how many miles did you get out of your running shoes? (Read 1393 times)

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

It depends on how one runs. I was a heavy heel striker landing on the outside corner of right heel leading to getting ~250mi out of heavy stability shoes. Then I accidently discovered (bought on clearance at a race to wear as knock around shoes) a pair of very light weight shoes which lead me onto path of changing my form as well as transitioning to minimal and barefoot. I now have 360 mi on END OTG's, >300 on a pair of Crocs I turned into running shoes, and have recorded 123 mi barefoot. Have done more BF but wasn't logging the miles. 

bob e v
    2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

I'm 180+ and have over 500 miles onsome nb 890s... Best training shoe I've ever had...

totally agree with loving the NB 890.  They are great.....450 miles is about all i could get before they were no longer cushy.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

DoppleBock

I have lost track - I have 15 pair lying around from the last 3 years ... 16.000 miles - I am not sure if any are bad ... or good - I also have 5 pair in a box screaming to get out ...

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Hmmmm, I only have one pair of running shoes at a time, I can only wear one at a time, put anywhere between 1,000-1,500 miles on them before getting another pair.  Even then it is normally because my toes are falling out of the top and duct tape can only do so much.

At least 500 miles and I normally wear New Balance but occassionally other brands........

Champions are made when no one is watching

Pink Bunny

Pink Bunny

wow. 2,000 miles run on 1 pair of shoes? really? 1,300? thanks guys for your input. I was asking because I wanted to know what was the average in terms of shoe durablity, it seems to be around 500 miles. I've got a pair of Sockwa G2's. if you are a barefoot runner (I am) then you have got to check them out: http://www.sockwa.com/collections/frontpage/products/black-2011 the sole is only 1.2 mm thick, but i've gotten 167 miles out of them and I only notice a little wear on the treads so far. i've probably got another 500 miles left. you can message me with questions about them. I love em.

"Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. and let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." -James 1:2-4

DoppleBock

500 is pretty normal

300-400 is below normal

700+ is above normal

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

wow. 2,000 miles run on 1 pair of shoes? really? 1,300? thanks guys for your input. I was asking because I wanted to know what was the average in terms of shoe durablity, it seems to be around 500 miles. I've got a pair of Sockwa G2's. if you are a barefoot runner (I am) then you have got to check them out: http://www.sockwa.com/collections/frontpage/products/black-2011 the sole is only 1.2 mm thick, but i've gotten 167 miles out of them and I only notice a little wear on the treads so far. i've probably got another 500 miles left. you can message me with questions about them. I love em.

Okay Bunny, you talked me into giving them a try.  Got a pair on order. Smile

I wear high stability/high cushion Asics.  Usually 700-800 - one pair over 1200 - and then I start to feel some soreness in the knees or bottom of my foot, then time to change.  When I went light (because they were cheaper or that was the only thing in my size) I would be fighting aches.  I weigh about 200....I think if you're lighter shoes you won't shred them as quickly.

I don't like to leave shoes sitting around even without miles on them, I think after a year they start to lose their pliability, but luckily they always wear out rather than rust out.

Hoban-Jay

Usually 800-1,000...when they fall apart and I can't wear them anymore.  I begin breaking in a new pair when the old pair is just begining to go bad...maybe 600-700 miles.  The shoe companies say 500 so people will buy their shoes more often thus giving them more money. 

Tramps

When I first started running I heard the buzz about changing shoes at 300-400 miles to avoid injury and I played it safe. But as I read more about minimalist approaches (and as the price tag of all those shoes added up) it seemed to me I may not really need all that fresh cushioning. So now I  use my shoes until the uppers start to fall apart—usually because of the wear and tear of trail runs. My Asics 1100-series shoes seem fine for about 1000-1200 miles or so. Interestingly, a couple pairs of the more expensive Asics 2100-series fell apart around 500 miles. I stick with the cheaper shoe now, and milk all the mileage I can out of them. As a result, my shoe bill has plummeted over the years.

Be safe. Be kind.