PERMASTANK Solution!!!! (Read 841 times)

zonykel

I bought a massive size of white vinegar at costco. I washed all of my running clothes and added a cup of vinegar to it. Let it soak for 30 minutes before the full wash cycle.

after drying, I don't notice any major smells. I'll check again in a few days if the smell is gone for good.

Slo

My solution is to throw it away.

I've got cheap tech shirts busting out my dresser drawers.

I bought a massive size of white vinegar at costco. I washed all of my running clothes and added a cup of vinegar to it. Let it soak for 30 minutes before the full wash cycle.

after drying, I don't notice any major smells. I'll check again in a few days if the smell is gone for good.

The truth will come out next time you run in them. I have some items that smell fine until I run and sweat in them again.

xor

The truth will come out next time you run in them. I have some items that smell fine until I run and sweat in them again.

Yes.

There are different kinds of "permastink" but most of this stuff is caused by lil bacteria that are heat activated.  You run, your clothes heat up, and the beasties wake up. And apparently fart.  Zombie bacteria farts.

The vinegar thing never did much for my permastanked clothes except make them smell vaguely like dressing  (yeah, I skipped the easy joke).

But there are different kinds of permastink, so perhaps it'll work for zonk.  Fingers crossed.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

And ... soaking in acid can damage fibers.

Even if the garment dissolves, the permastink still lingers like Cher.

Liz

pace sera, sera

Menace to Sobriety

Haven't tried it yet, but a friend suggested pre soaking in water and Scope mouthwash. He says it works wonders on perma-funky/mildewed scuba suits.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Thanks

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Dad on the run.

Two words for this

Odoban, Home Depot, I guess that is actually 3 words... whatever.

Seriously Odoban is hands down the best odor eliminator I have ever tried plus its anti bacterial 99.9% So its our everyday cleaner, counter top, hardwood floor, carpet, dog's crate, air freshner, plus you can use it in your laundry. Great stuff!

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

msmrow

Soaking in the Tide Boost (the liquid version of the super stain remover) and water overnight helped some of my clothes and shoes that got worn in the rain.  No issues since!  That Tide stuff has enzymes that ate whatever it was making the clothes stink- bacteria I guess. EWWWW

I've been using this stuff for a few months now. Solved my permastank problems right away.

I was actually thinking about this today.  I never put my stuff in the dryer, but it doesn't matter- it has a FUNK.  My husband backs away when I walk in the door from a run.  Glad to see I have some options to try.

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

OxiClean worked really well on the stinkiest of my husband's stinky tech shirts. Vinegar is great for everyday stink, though, to keep it from getting to where it needs the OxiClean.

zonykel

I tried both vinegar and baking soda (separately). I had mild success (you have to keep doing it for every load, soak for a while if possible).

In a slightly different subject, I got the nastiest stains from a spray sunscreen lotion. Vinegar, baking soda, alone or in combination did not work. However, a Clorox knock off for colors worked just fine. Just applied it as prewash, use an old toothbrush to get the stains out, and vua-la! Success.

Brilliant

OxiClean worked really well on the stinkiest of my husband's stinky tech shirts. Vinegar is great for everyday stink, though, to keep it from getting to where it needs the OxiClean.

I add a scoop of OxiClean to any load of laundry that has running clothes in it.  But I also squirt the armpits of tech shirts with Biokleen Bac Out.  I have a front-loader machine; I wonder if that's why the oxiclean alone won't do it?