I'm SICK (Read 618 times)

got a 102 temp...missed my boys' soccer games this morning and it looks that I will be out of commission from running for at least 3-4 days. Cry Anyone else run into this while training for a marathon.
    2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)

A Saucy Wench

got a 102 temp...missed my boys' soccer games this morning and it looks that I will be out of commission from running for at least 3-4 days. Cry Anyone else run into this while training for a marathon.
      yup, for my first scheduled 20 both this year and last. This year though I fooled it by miscalculating a planned route and doing 20 early. If your program is solid missing a chunk is not a big deal I think I am fighting something right now. Gotta quit trying to do a marathon 4 weeks after school starts for the year, that is a guaranteed be sick during taper. MTA: oh heck you've got what 10 weeks still, no problem at all Big grin

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Oh man that sucks ben. Sorry about that Sad Hope you feel better soon and can get back to running! (sorry no advice because I haven' run a marathon yet! lol)

Jazz hands!

I'm not training for a marathon, but I've had the Worst Cold Ever this week and haven't run since LAST Saturday. Uuurrrrrrgh.
          run run run AHHHHHH run run run

Prince of Fatness

I'm not training for a marathon but had a head cold all week and ran through it. All it was was a lot of congestion. No fever, no stomach issues, so I ran. You're doing the right thing with that fever. As bad as it is missing runs, trying to run through that might just end up making you miss even more time eventually. Ease your way back into it ... these things have a way of coming back on you if you're not careful.

Not at it at all. 

Dave

You might find that it works to your advantage. Sort of a mini-taper in the middle to get your legs fresh for another 4-6 weeks of hard training before your marathon. Hang in there Ben.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

fever went up to 104...our nurse practioner called and said i most likely have strept throat...after nap and some tylenol it is back down to 102.
                2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)

Bugs

Sorry you are sick!! I tend to get sick easily but amazingly this marathon not one sick day. I had bronchitis in March, and tried to run through it after a week off. While I stumbled through my running coughing, I end up with a crap load of heart problems and in the hospital, cost me thousands of dollars. My advice, take as much time as your body needs. If it's strep you will probable need to take a week off. Get better, I'd make you chicken noodle soup if you were in MN.

Bugs

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Yes, on my last one. I got some serious nasty bugs, actually two different flues back to back. At one point I went to the ER thinking I had pnuemonia. I was out for over two week. When I ran, 3 miles was a struggle and I coughed up a lung when I was done. Every day was a struggle and this happened fairly late in my training. I started running again after the illness, 4 weeks prior to my marathon. I was ready to call it quits. I resorted to a run/walk plan. I ran short to medium during the week and for my long run I ran a mile/walked a minute. I never was able to get more than 16 miles like that before my marathon, but the run/walk saved my race. I was able to run a 4:32, a 20 min PR from my first marathon. The wheels didn't really fall off until mile 22 or so when I was reduced to run as much as I could, walk as much as I need to.
                      Miracles of Miracles...I ate supper Saturday and took a nap until about 9:00 pm and fever was all but gone. Yesterday I had about 99 for about 2 or 3 hours here and there...and I am at work today...and been running around puttung out fires all day. I think I might try to run this afternoon. I am thinking an easy 3 - 6 miles depending on how I feel and leaving quitting and heading back home on the table as well. That is quickest I have ever gotten that sick and better. I thought I might be out at least a week.
                        I actually log my fevers, along with any other injuries. My worst was a month before my first marathon. Felt better the next day and got back on the horse. My notes for the next day's run read as follows:
                        What kind of person runs 12 miles the day after having a 102 degree fever?
                        I guess marathoners do. Smile Glad to hear you're feeling better.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.