Prednisone and running (Read 611 times)

Chris345

I have a sinus infection and/or Gerd. My Dr has prescribed an antibiotic and prednisone. I am training for a marathon Sept 7th so I'm into the heavy miles now. Is Prednisone going to cause me any problems during my runs? Is there a symptom I should keep an eye out for. Thanks in advance for any advice. Chris
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

It is likely fine. What dosing regimen are you taking? Get your calcium.
      Chris345

It is likely fine. What dosing regimen are you taking? Get your calcium.
        20 mg 2 pills for 3 days 1.5 for 3 days 1 pill for 3 days .5 pill for 3 days then stop
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Should be totally fine. The entire course is at a VERY low dose and the taper brings it even lower.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What antibiotic, BTW?
              Prednisone is a steroid correct? I realize it isn't an anabolic steroid, but perhaps might it give a slight training advantage?
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Nope. Prednisone is a catabolic steroid that weakens bones, turns muscle to fat and makes you gain weight. It give you a decided training disadvantage. And the doses the OP is taking are nearly homeopathic anyway.
                Chris345

What antibiotic, BTW?
                  Augmentin - 3 weeks. Darn I was hoping it might actually be an advantage. I certainly don't need anymore fat! Thanks for the help! Chris
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Good. Augmentin is safe as well. Just make sure to have some carby/fatty food on your stomach before you take your pills.
                    Chris345

Thanks