100 Meter Time for an average adult male (Read 205 times)

Teddy Lo

Hi Everyone,

I have a question regarding 100 meter run times for average adult males. I am not a track athlete, or ever ran track in my younger days. I like to know what are realistic times for men above 33 years old, who also are reasonably fit as well.

I look forward for your responses.

Regards,

I'm guessing between 15 and 30 seconds. There are too many variables to offer anything more specific than that, sorry. For starters, the average adult male is overweight and sedentary and there's no universal definition of "reasonably fit" for all males over 33 years of age.

Therefore, I suggest you head to the track with a buddy and a stopwatch and, after a decent warmup, bust out your best 100m. Please report back posthaste.

At least then we'll know what is a realistic time for Teddy Lo.

Runners run

Therefore, I suggest you head to the track with a buddy and a stopwatch and, after a decent warmup, bust out your best 100m. Please report back posthaste.

assuming you're not picking one or both of your hamstrings off the track!

Teddy Lo

I ran a high 14 seconds. Is that good time for reasonably fit man

rmcj001

Although I agree with Mikeymike about the question, I would suggest you take the time once you have it and then plug it into an age grade calculator (google it). What "average" is is questionable, but an age grade will give you a good idea where you stand with respect to the "best".

Ray

after a decent warmup,.

Should help prevent this

assuming you're not picking one or both of your hamstrings off the track!

Anyway I think for most of us hobby jobbers I'd think it will be somewhere between 15-25 seconds.  30 seconds is probably for someone who is 100 lbs overweight.

Not sure how average I am but I was once timed at 18 ish 100, and about 38 second 200. The 200 was not an all out sprint (was at the end of our interval workout) as as BT90 says I was afraid of having to pick up my hamstrings off the track and I never did any sprint training.  With some focused training, I can probably get that 18 seconds closer to 16.

Teddy Lo

I appreciate more comments if any

I ran a high 14 seconds. Is that good time for reasonably fit man

Sounds pretty good to me. Are you planning on entering some masters track meets?

Runners run

#artbydmcbride

What if he is only 33 and a half?

Runners run

Masters track starts at 30. It's a young person's game.

Runners run

Teddy Lo

I am planning that. I am past my thirties.

rmcj001

The easiest way to get an idea of how fast you are is to plug it in to an age grade calculator.  Since, you said you're past your 30's we'll assume you're 40, you're male and we'll use 14.9s as your time.  This gives an age grade performance of 68.84%, which would be a good or very good local runner.  Grading is usually like this >90% world class, >80% national class, >70% regional class, >60% local class. So, you're probably better then average, but there are likely to be plenty of people better.  How well you do will be highly dependent on who shows up (well, that's always true - but the higher your score the less likely that is to happen ;-)

Ray

Teddy Lo

Thanks for that information. I plan on working on my speed. This is new to me, and there is a good chance I can improve on my time.

MrH

Here are the results from the 2015 USATF Masters Meet. High 14s would have got you second in the Women's Over 60, or second in the Men's Over 80.

http://www.usatf.org/usatf/files/ea/eae7f57c-9ccd-4d9f-beac-8e0d8a5796da.txt

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Am I reading this correctly that there were several DNF's in the mens races?

Here are the results from the 2015 USATF Masters Meet. High 14s would have got you second in the Women's Over 60, or second in the Men's Over 80.

http://www.usatf.org/usatf/files/ea/eae7f57c-9ccd-4d9f-beac-8e0d8a5796da.txt