First marathon training plan/book recommendations? (Read 749 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So I'm starting to think I might be wise to follow a more formal training plan as I prepare for my first marathon (planning to do the Lakefront Marathon in Milwaukee on Oct. 5). Any recommendations for a plan? I'm really not sure how many weeks I should be looking at (I'm guessing 3-4 months of race-specific training...?), but I would like to be running 4-5 days/week and probably topping out around 45-50 miles/week. Most race predictors suggest I should finish in about 4:15-4:20 based upon my HM PR, but I'm thinking that's pretty generous. I'd be happy to finish under 4:30 for my first race. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Scout7

Higdon. Daniels. Galloway. Glover. All good resources with canned plans. I've used Higdon for my first, and I did fine. Other than that, I roll my own.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've kind of been wondering how wise it would be to "roll my own" for my first. I mean, I've gotten this far doing my own thing...maybe I don't need a formal plan...?

~ Sarah Kay

Scout7

I think you're better served by looking at as many plans as you can. Higdon is good for that, because he has so many based on varying levels of experience/ability. Bob Glover's books are good for that, too. I would at least start with the basis of an existing plan, and modify it where you feel you need to.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Higdon is pretty much all online, too...?

~ Sarah Kay

Scout7

Higdon is pretty much all online, too...?
              Yes. By looking at the plans, you get an idea as to what the commonalities are. Then you can start to think about what a marathon plan really needs, and how you can work those into your schedule.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ok, I'm liking what I see on Higdon...looks like his novice plans are both 4 days of running and intermediate are 5. Am I nuts to consider an intermediate plan if I've never run a marathon before? 5 days of running/week shouldn't kill me. Or maybe I should think about 4 days and getting a road bike for a couple of days of cross training--it's not like I don't have someone at my disposal to help me choose and maintain a decent road bike... Evil grin

~ Sarah Kay

The voice of mile 18

agree with higdon but for my first I used a book by john hanc "beginner marathon" or the like and it was a good generic training plan that got me thru just fine. but higdon worked great for my sister for her marathons

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Scout7

I did his Intermediate plan for my first, no problem at all.
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I did his Intermediate plan for my first, no problem at all.
                      Yeah, the novice plans look like they top out at 35mpw...hell, I've done 38 mpw at least once for HM training. Either the Intermediate 1 or 2 would probably be doable...2 looks a bit above my head, but 1 would probably be reasonable. I do have a Glover book, but I believe it's just a general purpose running book. Well-written, though. Perhaps I will pick up one of his marathon books, as well.

~ Sarah Kay

I "roll my own" and always have, so I don't have specific recommendations for finding a training plan. Maybe once I start coaching a marathon program this summer I'll have better suggestions. I can, however, suggest an excellent book on marathon preparation and recovery. It doesn't get into any specific canned plans, but does provide a lot of excellent information for making sure that you are ready in the days leading up to the race, what to do (and train for) during the race, and how to make your legs happy with you again as quickly as possible after the race. If you get onto the marathon questions conference call list, you'll find out about when I might have a discount on the book coming up.

Run to Win
                        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

JakeKnight

I think you're better served by looking at as many plans as you can. Higdon is good for that, because he has so many based on varying levels of experience/ability. Bob Glover's books are good for that, too. I would at least start with the basis of an existing plan, and modify it where you feel you need to.
                          I agree. Running your first marathon isn't complicated, no matter how much people try to make it seem like it is. If you run a lot of easy, consistent mileage and run long every week or two, that's all you need to do. But I think Scout's right that you should read a bunch of the books and see where they agree. Even if you don't use one of the "plans." Personally, I think most first timers should read all the main books - then burn them. And just go run. That said, some runners tend to be a little, uh, anal detail oriented, and like to see some concrete plan. Even though if they actually look at the plan, they'll realize its exactly what I said: run a lot, run easy, run long once in a while. People like plans. It comforts them. Just please - I'm begging - don't turn into one of those dorks who posts in a few months something like: "I was scheduled to run 16.2 miles at 9:30 pace while maintaining a 153 BPM on Saturday, but I had to run on Sunday and only ran 15 and on this one hill my heart rate hit 155. Is my training ruined?" If you do that, I'll make fun of you. You might want to skip the time goal for your first, too. You'll ignore that advice, of course, but its not a bad idea. You'll end up obsessing over time soon enough - you ought to just enjoy the first one. If you run slow, its just an easy PR to break.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                          -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Just please - I'm begging - don't turn into one of those dorks who posts in a few months something like: "I was scheduled to run 16.2 miles at 9:30 pace while maintaining a 153 BPM on Saturday, but I had to run on Sunday and only ran 15 and on this one hill my heart rate hit 155. Is my training ruined?" If you do that, I'll make fun of you.
                            If I do that *I* will make fun of me! Wink

~ Sarah Kay

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I rolled my own for my first. It worked well enough, but not fabulously. It would have been better if I had studied more on what goes into a training plan. I made some pretty large mistakes that could have been avoided. I'm training for me second on a roll my own plan. I've read up on Daniels and Pfitzinger, bounced a few ideas off more experienced runners and viola! I think that plans you devise are the best way to go, assuming you've read up on the subject and have a good idea as to what goes into sucessful marathon training. It makes most sense to write a plan that fits you, your life, your goals and your day to day reality more so than adopting a generic plan for the everyman.
                              JakeKnight

Now that we're all agreed on the joys of making fun of you, I just peeked at your log. And since you will likely ignore that good advice about skipping the time goal, I definitely agree with shooting for 4:30 instead of 4:15, no matter what McMillan may say. The thing that most surprised me about running marathons - and it still surprises me every single time - is how different it is from running a half marathon or even running a 20 miler. Once you get to 22 or 23 at race pace, its a completely different animal. It is just not comparable to just running two half marathons. People who think it is often have a nasty surprise waiting at mile 24 or so. If you're smart, you'll be passing those people. Based on your PR, if its a solid PR, trying for 4:15 might keep you from finishing at all. 4:30 is much closer, in my opinion. The best way to really screw up is to go out way too fast, and worrying about an unrealistic time goal will do that for you.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                                -----------------------------