what's your ibuprofen dosage and schedule for ultras? (Read 150 times)

Yes, yes, I know "the new study" says chances of kidney failure are increased, and that another article hypothesizes about inflammation and how it's important and it shouldn't be suppressed with Ibuprofen.

However, it's WILDLY popular in Ultra races for a reason. I'd like to hear about that reason.

What's your personal experience using it? How much, how often? Have you done similar runs without it and noticed a difference? Do you use it in training or just races?

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Bert-o

I lost my rama

I usually take 2 Motriln (ibuprofen) prior to a marathon, if I remember to.  Last ultra race (a 50M), I took 2 Bayer (aspirin) prior to the race, and every ~4 hours during the race.  It's hard to know if it makes any difference or not.  Pain is pain.  While training, I don't take anything, so to get used to the pain.  After a hard training run, maybe, but not often.

A couple ibuprofen during a race I doubt will kill anyone, IMO, despite what's been published and discussed.  Still tinkering with what to take and how often.  Maybe the answer is nothing at all for me.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

A rebuttal article to the kidney damage article pointed out that the study group were people involved in a multi-day event of something like 25-75 miles a day, and that there was a 20% increase in the instance of kidney damage vs placebo. These weren't your "average" ultra runners involved in a single race.  Also, that many if not the majority of people participating in endurance events lasting 3 hours or more experience kidney acute damage, which corrects itself (heals) in less than a day afterwards; NSAIDS or not (meaning it's "normal" to have this type of temporary damage). Although, I suspect that repeated incidents of damage might lead to a more permanent condition.

Blaf

Why do you guys take this stuff at the first place?

I am thinking, it is going to mask any pain or potential injury.

Runner since 2012

Marathon PB: 3:40:32

Yeah, that's why I'm asking.

The only "pain" I experience running is either from previous overuse injury, or accident (like scraped palms or knees from tripping on a trail). I don't think NSAIDS would mask those types of pain. However, when I had a toothache, a single naproxen made it totally go away until I saw the dentist.I don't take pills very often, so it probably had a bigger effect on me than people who take over the counter stuff often.

Running, I might get discomfort from sore muscles but not something I would classify as "pain". I don't know if NSAIDS would mask that discomfort enough for me to perform better.

I'm curious of other's experiences using ibuprofen in races, because it seems so popular.

Blaf

Well, when I have a headache or toothache, or something like that, I take a pill. Usually ibuprofen 400mg. That happens once or twice a year.

But for running or backpacking, I do not see a point. My logic is, “Listen to your body”. That is another story that I ignore what my body sometime wants to tell me. For example this Achilles tendon issue I am going through right now. ☹

Runner since 2012

Marathon PB: 3:40:32

kilkee

runktrun

I've done a few trail 50 milers (<10 hours), but also done long training runs/super hikes >12hrs (eg: Maroon Bells Four Pass loop in CO), and I don't think an NSAID would have improved my performance at all by dulling the pain.  It didn't feel like a pain that could be assuaged by anything save for beer and a long nap.  I blew up my knee in one of the 50 milers, arthritis flare, and I took a ton of Advil after, and even 1000mg (5 normal pills) did nothing to help, so I don't think 1000mg during the race would have changed the outcome.  It took prescription Mobic to knock out the inflammation in my knee.

So my experience is that even the upper limit of a safe dose of over the counter NSAIDs doesn't help when things really hurt even when not running.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

paul2432

I don't take anything either.  It might help, but just not worth the risk for me.  I would probably forget to take them as well.

A friend of mine takes them.  He said he gets dull hip pain in the later parts of an ultra and the ibuprofen takes the edge off just enough to let him push through a little harder.  I think his schedule is that he waits for pain to show up and then takes the pills (maybe 2 pills every 6-8 hours or so).  In a 100K and under he probably takes them just once or not at all (the race ends before the second dose).  Maybe twice in a 100 miler.

Lane

I don't have an ibuprofen dosage but here's my schedule for ultras:

Lake Waramaug 50 miler, 4/21/2013

Permanent Retirement from Ultras: 4/21/2013

T Hound

Slower but happier

Why would I take ibuprofen?, it would reduce the pain and suffering...isn’t that the point?

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

it's a very effective anti inflammatory for me which helps with a whole host of things but have only used it very limited in the past and havent at all in the last 2 races. i carried some at my 100 dnf this fall but didnt take any. i was just committed to not using any. in hindsight i wonder if i would have been able to finish if i had taken some. i think it is a performance enhancer and should be illegal for racing but it's not so people use it. it definitely has some bad effects on the kidneys and makes recovery take longer...but i rarely use any medications otherwise so it works well when i do use it. as long as it is legal i will carry it with me even if i dont take any, but upcoming 100k i may allow myself to take 400mg if its the difference btw finishing and not

also: salt caps work better for cramping

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

SMART Approach

I don't think it will provide any physiological benefit but perhaps a placebo effect. I would advise against it. I will always ask, what is your goal when taking NSAIDs before or after a race or hard work out?  Answers are usually, well if I can prevent or tame inflammation I may have less perception of pain and finish better or feel better after a race. Maybe you will because you think it is helping you. Keep in mind 2 key points...1. Risk vs. benefits 2. Do no harm

I will say definitively that it will delay your recovery. You may not care. Also, your body's innate response to injury, stress, muscle breakdown/micrtearing etc. is to send in blood and fluids to start the repair process. This is phase 1 of the healing process.....inflammatory phase. Why go against mother natures powerful and natural response? Just keep in mind why you are taking this fairly potent medicine.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

kcam

When I was younger I used to think it helped to take ibuprofen during a marathon(the only time I ever took it).  I'd take two on the start line then another two or three when I finished, carried them with me.  200 mg each tablet.  I figured it couldnt hurt to supress I flamation some.  I got older and more experienced I just stopped doing this and never noticed any difference in how I ran or how I felt after the race.  I did run one 50K and I didnt take any ibuprofen.  Never crossed my mind to do it.  I dont think I've taken ibuprofen for my last 20 marathons probably.   My final take: Training and going out at a realistic pace was/is orders of magnitude more important.

Prince of Fatness

So far the anecdotal results mainly say that it does nothing to help endurance efforts.

I wonder how it became so popular that it garnered nick-names like Vitamin-I and Ranger Candy?