Low Light Running Survey (Read 284 times)

Latent Runner

I'm worried about sexual assault.  And dogs.

One thing that typically happens to me on predawn runs?  People let their dogs out to pee, and then they are standing in the door with a coffee and a towel skirt on.  I'm getting chewed up, and they are all, "Fido, fido, bad dog" and won't even come out to help.  About every six months or so, I'll get bit.

Back in the mid to late 1960s I had a paper route through a rural and rough and tumble area of Michigan, and there were lots of very aggressive dogs.  What that experience taught me is that 99% of the dogs out there are wimps (I'd use a stronger adjective but I don't want to offend).  Now when a dog charges me, I turn toward it, and charge head on; I've yet to meet a dog that didn't turn tail and run the other way.  Now, if there is more than one dog, different tactics are required, and those different tactics usually require a stick or two, and preferably a car or a tree or fence behind me to block off the rear attack.

The good news is that I've been running for some 45 years and have yet to get bit by a dog; the closest I came was a few years back when three attacked me and I only had time to grab one stick.  Once I sent the leader of the pack away yelping its fool head off, the other two decided that discretion was the better part of valor and broke off the attack.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
    duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Took the survey. I'm not sure being seen is a problem (I wear reflective clothing and a headlamp, and sometimes run with a small hand-held flashlight, too). My biggest problem with low-light running is being able to see the running surface - debris on the road, potholes, curbs - and other obstacles. I'd be lying if I said I never ran into a tree branch before while running in the dark. Can you create a sonar device to warn me of objects about to hit me in the head? ;-)

Thanks!

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

Half Fanatic #846

Can someone do a survey of drivers to find this out?  Something like-

why do you swerve at runners?

1) I am a moron

2) I am an a-hole

3) I am too busy texting

4) all of the above

and

5.   It's all about me, me, me and not you

6.   This is my lane and you're in the way

7.   I swerve toward you because I can't help but go where I'm looking

8.   A miss is as good as a mile

9.   If I cross the yellow line to avoid you it's a violation

10. My IQ is almost twice the number of miles you're running

11. I have to swerve because that and using the brakes would be multi-tasking

12. I'd like a rock through the window

there, I feel better now!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

running metalhead

I bought an awesome head lamp for 21 EUR form an UK manufacturer. It's so damn bright that I scare the heck put of the car drivers and cyclists on the road that goes parallel to the trail I run.

Damn, it's so bright that I blind myself every time I lift my hand towards my face or when my breath produces vapour, LOL. 

It sports a huge 90 lumen led lamp, 3 coloured smaller LEDs (white, green and red ) and a red led in the back. On the trail I use the big one, sometimes at low intensity to avoid getting blind in the middle of the night and on the road I use the small one. Awesome stuff, best investment ever.

Before that I used to carry USB chargeable wearable lamps, a type of lamps that are very popular here in Holland because you can carry them on your clothes or backpack when cycling or jsut when it's dark to avoid being overridden by somebody. I even have one that fits perfectly on top of the wristband of my Timex. Nice stuff for road running, but I wouldn't dare to use it on the trail.

Anyway: Spring is coming and days are getting longer, added to the extremely hot winter (over 12C) we are having this year it will allow me to run in shorts in a few weeks time. Already looking forward to it!

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
          - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
          - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
          - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
          - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
          - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I bought an awesome head lamp for 21 EUR form an UK manufacturer. It's so damn bright that I scare the heck put of the car drivers and cyclists on the road that goes parallel to the trail I run.

Damn, it's so bright that I blind myself every time I lift my hand towards my face or when my breath produces vapour, LOL. 

It sports a huge 90 lumen led lamp, 3 coloured smaller LEDs (white, green and red ) and a red led in the back. On the trail I use the big one, sometimes at low intensity to avoid getting blind in the middle of the night and on the road I use the small one. Awesome stuff, best investment ever.

Are you sure that inducing seizures in the oncoming drivers is wise?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

OP, you're playing to a tough crowd here, aren't you?

PSURunningTech

How many pages is the survey? How many questions?

Only 20 questions or so!  Should take around 5 minutes.

Happy to contribute, as I do most of my 25ish miles a week before the sun has risen!

And geez, @milktruck, don't be so greedy with the $50 Amazon gift card. You know that $20 would be sufficient. :P

Thank you!  I hope to be able to give back to you all in some fashion.  If not a $20 (or $50!) gift card, maybe we can design something very useful for you.

but from a few I did learn that they are trying to figure out what the odd lights were in the road and just looking carefully to get it sorted out.  Most of the reflective runner stuff today is all odd lines and zags -- there isn't anything that outlines your shape to make it easy for drivers to have a quick realization of "person in road".

That's been our experiences as well.  Some of these lighting systems just have a single blinking red LED, which almost invites the attention and curiosity of drivers.  Something that outlines the runner, as you say, seems like it would be much more helpful in letting drivers know it's an actual person.

PSURunningTech

OP, you're playing to a tough crowd here, aren't you?

Haha, you'd be surprised at how helpful some of these playful suggestions are!  At least runners are opinionated, which is appreciated.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Survey taken.

I'm the first to admit, I tend to assume the best about people, so when someone swerves toward me, I usually assume it's because of the natural tendency to veer in the direction one is looking.  I'm also cognizant of the fact that many drivers are irritated at us fools in the road because they assume we're oblivious to the fact that there are cars driving around us, and we could get kilt!

To combat this, I always turn my head and look at vehicles coming up behind me, to let them know that I know they're there.  Then, I raise my hand in a wave of acknowledgement - my theory is that this motion will break the trance if they've been drifting toward me (it's important to note, these are single-lane country roads - yes, I'm running "against the traffic," but most people including me drive to some extent in the middle of the road).  If it's oncoming traffic, I always wave and run on the grass shoulder if possible for a few yards, just out of politeness.

So far, most if not all cars give me plenty of space, and most usually wave in return (at least, the ones whose drivers I can see).

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

SillyC

Back in the mid to late 1960s I had a paper route through a rural and rough and tumble area of Michigan, and there were lots of very aggressive dogs.  What that experience taught me is that 99% of the dogs out there are wimps (I'd use a stronger adjective but I don't want to offend).  Now when a dog charges me, I turn toward it, and charge head on; I've yet to meet a dog that didn't turn tail and run the other way.  Now, if there is more than one dog, different tactics are required, and those different tactics usually require a stick or two, and preferably a car or a tree or fence behind me to block off the rear attack.

The good news is that I've been running for some 45 years and have yet to get bit by a dog; the closest I came was a few years back when three attacked me and I only had time to grab one stick.  Once I sent the leader of the pack away yelping its fool head off, the other two decided that discretion was the better part of valor and broke off the attack.

Soooo........  the behavior you're talking about?  It's very typical of herding dogs and some hunting dogs.  I visit rural michigan (the thumb) every year, get chased by herding dogs a lot, and have yet to get bit by one.

NOW.  Here? (I live in Worcester Massachusetts) The most common dog that I've been bitten by is a black lab.  I've been bitten four times by a black lab.  Oh, but these are such nice dogs, except they are super territorial and very domineering if they don't have any obedience training in them.  I've also been bitten by a pit bull mix, and once by a newfoundland.  I've been on two occasions by pomeranians and once by something that looked like a mutant dachshund.  And one golden retriever now that I remember it.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yes, but what do you do about the person in the towel skirt?

#artbydmcbride

Soooo........  the behavior you're talking about?  It's very typical of herding dogs and some hunting dogs.  I visit rural michigan (the thumb) every year, get chased by herding dogs a lot, and have yet to get bit by one.

NOW.  Here? (I live in Worcester Massachusetts) The most common dog that I've been bitten by is a black lab.  I've been bitten four times by a black lab.  Oh, but these are such nice dogs, except they are super territorial and very domineering if they don't have any obedience training in them.  I've also been bitten by a pit bull mix, and once by a newfoundland.  I've been on two occasions by pomeranians and once by something that looked like a mutant dachshund.  And one golden retriever now that I remember it.

You need to run in this!

Runners run

Latent Runner

Maybe I've just been lucky (kind of doubt it), but I've used my counter-attack routine on mutts of all stripes, spots, and colors, Labs, Goldens, Collies, Rottweilers, Dobermans, German Shepards, and even an Afgan Hound; so far at least, not one has failed to briefly give me the "What the...?" look, quickly followed by the "Ohhh darn, time to turn around" look"  The nasty dogs I seem to encounter the most up here in New Hamster are Goldens, something I find odd because as a general rule I wouldn't classify them as aggressive dogs.

As for the towel skirt, depending upon what lurks underneath, I usually head in the other direction as fast as I can.  Tongue

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                            • 2-mile: 13:49
                            • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                            • 5-Mile: 37:24
                            • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                            • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                            • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

Village people

You need to run in this!

Does that come in a tech version? Maybe in pink?

Half Fanatic #846

Although I may rant about the <5% of drivers, I really am lucky to have my neighborhood to run in.  A gated community with probably 10 miles of roads, low speed limits, little traffic, varied terrain, and most drivers wave and give me a wide berth.  I can run anywhere on the road, either side or the middle, because I can hear or see a car coming from some distance away before I move onto the shoulder if needed. But out on a public highway is scary to me with cars passing by at 60 mph within 3-4 feet of me.

Haven't been bitten by a dog, although several have followed me while running. Drivers probably were thinking "What's that guy doing letting his dog run around in the street - and with no leash?". I did run toward and yell at a black lab once that was aggressive and after that, he made sure to keep his distance.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!