Colorado (formerly Ft. Collins) Marathon advice (Read 119 times)

King of PhotoShop

A good friend of mine signed up for this marathon in early May after a difficult experience in the heat at L.A.  In an effort to help him, I told him I would seek opinions from others who have run it.  Do any of you have any insights you might share, no matter how small?  Grateful for your personal observations and experiences.  Thank you.  Spareribs

Hoban-Jay

Yup...spectacular race.  Very scenic...starts on a road that heads towards Rocky Mountain National park.  Gently downhill the entire way on a winding road along the Poudre River.  Ends in Fort Collins at/near New Belgium brewery.  Always nice weather.  For a 4:30+ finish time, it may get a little on the warm side near the end.  Elevation at the start is probably about 6.000 feet, finishing at under 5,000.  For those of us living at 8,000, that perfect, for those living at 2,000 feet or lower, that could be an issue....even (possibly) a deal breaker.

Kalsarikännit

My first marathon (and college town).  It starts slightly above 6100 feet and rolls down Poudre Canyon before a meh final six (+?) bike path going to a finish in Old Town.

There is not much you can do about the elevation other than suck it up and deal with the fact that it will slow you down a bit. I have run further up the canyon and have noticed that elevation doesn't really kick your ass until in the 8000's. Taking aspirin for a few days before the event helps thin the blood which helps a bit.

The course heads downhill. Don't go out too fast.  I banked a ton of time. That's the day that I discovered that I'm a complete idiot (kidding...I already knew that).

The canyon itself is beautiful, but it went through the High Park fire a few years ago. It will be different, but such is nature.

Spectators are not allowed along the canyon. It is just too narrow. Car traffic would screw stuff up. This is not a bad thing. There is no one to tell you "you're almost there" with 14 miles left.

Old Town and Ft. Collins are great. It is worth hanging out for a few days and checking out the breweries (Odell's!) and going for a hike up at Horsetooth. There are cheap motels on North College Ave that puts you closer to Old Town and New Belgium.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

rlopez

To add to that ^^^, although it has a reputation for being downhill the whole way, it doesn't feel like that because 1) the first 16 are OBVIOUSLY downhill through the canyon then 2) you go up a weird little hill you aren't expecting and 3) wind up on said meh bike path that feels neither uphill nor down (partly because of #1). 

I liked the race a lot, and the finish area festivities... along with poking around town... were fun.

I probably won't repeat it because there are too many races AND this race has become a you-gotta-do-it race for lots of folks, but I liked it.

I didn't really notice the altitude.

King of PhotoShop

Thank you SRL.  Mark Galanos, who is the runner I am helping with this advice, lives in Coppell, TX.  Mark, srlopez is an outstanding runner of every distance, many, many lifetime marathons and ultras.  His parents live in Coppell.   Thank you srl.  Spareribs

dblendc

Make sure to eat at the Silver Grill in Ft. Collins (in the old town area).............................life changing.

Hoban-Jay

Make sure to eat at the Silver Grill in Ft. Collins (in the old town area).............................life changing.

That's certainly not a bad choice...a well above average "breakfast diner", but it doesn't even come close to Avogadro's or The Rainbow Cafe.