Do elites (or even really fast runners) talk to each other during a race? (Read 1117 times)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

My training partner makes friends during a race. I'm not talking about before/after, but actually during the race (for longer races anyway). I see people talking all the time. Sometimes I'll say a few words here or there, but not much. After my HM this weekend, I started wondering about the front of the pack. Do they talk to each other? I would guess not because A) their race is a lot shorter time wise than ours and B) they're trying to beat each other and that would change the dynamic quite a bit. Any thoughts on this?
    JakeKnight

I'm obviously not one of them - but I think you're just about right. From what I've seen, they don't (and probably can't) do a whole lot of talking. Obviously at shorter distances most people don't. Even in a half I'm not sure I could do much talking. But at marathon distance, for most of us average joes, the first 10-15 miles or so are run pretty comfortably. So I have indeed met some pretty nice people and made some friends. In fact, my PR came about almost entirely because I met a very nice lady who happened to be faster than me ... but since I was enjoying our conversation, I had to keep up with her. I've run marathons from almost 5:00 down to 3:40 and there is noticeably less talking the faster you get. I assume the sub-3:00 folks aren't doing much chatting. The only time I've seen them - on out and back spots on courses - they sure weren't talking. Of course, they have lots more time to make friends hanging around at the finish line.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

I'm not an elite but I know from where I run there's a little bit of chatter for the first 1-2 miles of a HM and maybe the first 4-5 miles of a marathon, but after that things quiet down quite a bit and if there is any talking it's one or two words here and there.

Runners run

Junior Amphibian

Well, if they can talk, they're not running fast enough. Smile

"People ask why I run. I say, 'If you have to ask, you will never understand'. It is something only those select few know. Those who put themselves through pain, but know, deep down, how good it really feels." - Erin Leonard

I have noticed I run slower, maybe 15-30 seconds per mile slower, if talking. I do not talk when racing for that reason, waste of breath. Sorry about the sidetrack, you mentioned running a half, did you post a race report? Thanks, Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

uncontrollable

I've never been close enough to find out!

peace

I remember watching the end of a 10K road race on TV. There were two elites in a pretty exciting finish. It was strange, as they were sprinting to the end, it looked to me like they were trash talking to each other!

A Saucy Wench

Again...not anywere close to the front of the pack...but I think what JK says seems about normal. The longer the race the more chatting happens at the beginning. I chatted with someone yesterday in my HM at mile 3 but then we stopped because we had work to do. But the conversation was enough to give thumbs ups as we went back and forth and we chatted after the race. I think on marathons it can be a mechanism for some people who have a tendency to go out too fast to relax a bit.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I'm not sure about elites. I know that I'll never be even close to being an elite for many reason and also because I LOVE talking during a race. I've gotten worse about it too. I feel bummed after a race if I didn't get to chat enough. I bet I'd run faster if I wore my headphones during a race. Big grin Then I wouldn't be looking for a conversation.

Michelle

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I have noticed I run slower, maybe 15-30 seconds per mile slower, if talking. I do not talk when racing for that reason, waste of breath. Sorry about the sidetrack, you mentioned running a half, did you post a race report? Thanks, Simon.
                      Yep, here it is: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/CRMarathonTrainers/Forum/2d08ef59ce594ebbbd6475091354e999
                        You'll see elite runners talk a little bit in a marathon, for sure. I've exchanged a few words in most of my races. I talked with a friend for the first 500-600 metres of my 10k PB (36:38), asked another friend if I'd started too slow or if he'd gone out too fast after 200 metres in a 5k (17:44), and insulted a spectator who told me and another runner to "run Forrest, run". Early on in any race over a mile, you should be able to say a few words.
                        Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

... and insulted a spectator who told me and another runner to "run Forrest, run"..
                          I gotta know - What insult did you throw his way?
                            It wasn't so much an insult as a retort. I turned to the runner next to me and said "real funny, asshole". It was about 12-13k into a half marathon.
                            kcam

In marathons I've found most people can be engaged in conversation up to mile 20, where the race begins. After that they tend to get not so chatty! I especially like to keep an eye on those people (usually males) that at the beginning of the race are talking really loudly to make sure everyone can hear them - you know the ones "Are we there yet?", "Who's idea was this?" blah blah blah. By 20, if they're still hanging, most of 'em ain't making those stupid jokes anymore. The ones that are still around AND making the jokes? Give 'em props.

Why is it sideways?

In one marathon last year, I was lucky enough to run with the lead women from mile 7 or so to the finish. Not a word was spoken. Of course, I'm not sure how many, if any, spoke the same language. If there's any chatter, it will be in the first 5 miles or so, and it will be nerves that cause it. After mile 10, at the elite level, the effort requires much focus.