Has anyone ever had to stop? (Read 452 times)

robertaajr

Did you ever have to stop or start walking half way through your race? I ran my first 5K 2 weeks ago without any training and I started to cramp up, but I kept a slow jog. I was just wondering if anyone ever stops or quits or walks?

Coach Jeanne

Speculum Wrangler

I never stop or quit (nor should you, unless injured)...but I do use walk-breaks (30-60 seconds) to lower my HR and allow me to run faster than if I tried to keep slogging along at a steady slow pace.  In fact, my Half and Full marathon PRs (a respectable 2:03 and 4:23 for this 50-something former non-athlete) were achieved by taking a walk-break every half mile.  I will use this plan when I attempt to BQ in 2018 (need sub-4:25).   YMMV but it works pretty well for me.

Jeanne

There's nothing wrong with walking during a race, or quitting a race. You never have to explain such decisions to anyone. Never buy into the "don't ever quit" propaganda. Like never quitting a race makes you some kind of higher level of human being, when sometimes it just makes you stupid. I speak from experience. Some of our greatest runners have dropped out of races because they felt they should.

"Don't ever stop!"---bull noobnoobs.

Stop if and when you need and want to. Walk if you want to. Just thought I'd put this out there in case you thought there was something wrong with walking or quitting---sometimes it's the best thing you can do for yourself, your health, and your future as a runner.

jmctav23

2/3rds training

I ran my first 5K 2 weeks ago without any training 

Why would you do such a thing?  I dropped out of a 50k because my nutrition went to shit for various reasons and it got quite warm and due to me puking my guts out I could not stay hydrated enough to feel safe about continuing on.  I went from top ten at mile 12 to dropping after 22 miles.  I didn't feel bad about it, although I did feel pretty bad.  I learned my lesson in regards to nutrition and moved on.  Sure I could have sat around at an aid station moping and trying to keep down liquid and recover but my race was shot and I knew it.

In regards to cramping, your neuromuscular system was basically shutting down your muscles because you were attempting to make them do something they were completely unaccustomed to doing.  Your nervous system put a stop to it out of self preservation.  Learn your lesson and don't attempt things you have not trained to do.  Happy running.

robertaajr

Why would you do such a thing?  I dropped out of a 50k because my nutrition went to shit for various reasons and it got quite warm and due to me puking my guts out I could not stay hydrated enough to feel safe about continuing on.  I went from top ten at mile 12 to dropping after 22 miles.  I didn't feel bad about it, although I did feel pretty bad.  I learned my lesson in regards to nutrition and moved on.  Sure I could have sat around at an aid station moping and trying to keep down liquid and recover but my race was shot and I knew it.

In regards to cramping, your neuromuscular system was basically shutting down your muscles because you were attempting to make them do something they were completely unaccustomed to doing.  Your nervous system put a stop to it out of self preservation.  Learn your lesson and don't attempt things you have not trained to do.  Happy running.

I was in Tennessee for something and signed up to run a 5K a few weeks before it. I figured it's only 3.1 miles so I shouldn't have have a problem finishing it. I've ran before, just never consistently. Ever since that race though, now i'm running every day and I love it. I'm going to run a 10K, then half marathon, and full marathon in a couple of months before the end of the year. If I keep running more and more my time should decrease right?

EpiRunr

Yup.

DNF'd at the 5km mark of a 1/2 once.  My calves were cramping really badly and I knew I'd hurt myself if I kept going.  So, I plunked my ass down at the water station and cheered hard for everyone going by or turning around (1/2 marathon kept going, 10km turned around).  Volunteers had no idea what to do with me, lol.

mikeymike

Why would you do such a thing?

For fun? To see what all the fuss is about? To get some exercise? It's just a 5k. It's really okay to run one of those without training for it. The majority of people who finish most 5k's do so without training for them.

robertaajr, you had to walk because you went out too fast for your current fitness. If you had gone out a little shower you would have had no trouble. The more you run the faster and better at knowing your current fitness you will get. Keep on keepin' on.

Runners run

northernman

Fight The Future

One marathon that I was running turned out on race day to be particularly warm and humid. The half-marathoners ran with us for the first half, and we split at 13 miles. I had no trouble making a quick decision at the Y to join the half-marathoners and call it quits. No point in punishing my body for what would clearly be a flogging that would take days to recover from for a sub-optimal time. I didn't even feel guilty (but of course I did skip the half-marathon medal line...)

GinnyinPA

I live in a fairly hilly area.  All the local long races (HM and full marathon) are quite hilly.  On every one I've run, when people in the middle of the pack (not the front runners) reach the bigger hills, a lot of people walk.  It's good to try to power through the hills, but sometimes the fitness just isn't there.  On my first HM, I went out too fast and wore myself out.  The last three miles I did a lot of walking. For my first marathon I walked the water stops every two miles, then walked for a minute or so at each mile marker for the last six miles.  But at least I finished.

Ack!  You started out too fast for your fitness level.  Been there. Done that.  Even top runners mess up their pacing sometimes so "yes" people do have to stop, jog or walk in races.  It happens.  Just keep at your training and you will do better on your next race as your fitness and ability to pace yourself improves.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

peaches123

Sure, I've walked in a race before.  I don't recall ever DNF but there is a first time for everything.  I have definitely cut short training runs if things weren't going well.

There are so many things that can lead you to need to walk or quit in a race, just like in training.  You can be undertrained, go out too fast, have an issue with weather, nutrition, hydration.  You might have a cold or have eaten something weird the day before.  Or you can get injured during the race.  Those are all good reasons to change your plan and not finish at your pace or not finish at all.

When it is a race, and even in training runs, it is tempting to feel guilty for not finishing. Races are usually goals and it is disappointing not to meet your goals. But only you know if you did it because you were "wimpy" or because it was the smarter thing to do.  It never feels good to quit but you don't want to cause your body more damage by finishing when it's not the day to do so.

keeponrunning

I've DNF'd a half before-- I had pizza the night before, and obviously something wasn't stored/cooked properly and I had wicked GI issues during the race (which I was only using as a training run anyway).  Sometimes, you're just better to stop.

As for walking, I think it's a rare runner who hasn't walked at some point in a race.  A multitude of things can happen to make you walk-- starting out too fast, improper nutrition/hydration, or extreme temperatures to name a few.  Even at races where I've run the whole distance, I usually walk through the water stops.  I'm not fast enough to worry about the 10-15 seconds that costs me.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

robertaajr

Thanks everyone for all the great feedback. I just ran a 3 mile run today and I shaved off about 3 minutes from when I did it 2 weeks ago. I love this new found passion in running. It felt great to feel like I was flying today. I guess we only get faster and stronger the more we train.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Thanks everyone for all the great feedback. I just ran a 3 mile run today and I shaved off about 3 minutes from when I did it 2 weeks ago. I love this new found passion in running. It felt great to feel like I was flying today. I guess we only get faster and stronger the more we train.

Run a lot.Mostly easy. I see an injure in your future.

5k-- 7:04 pace. Your easy pace should be 8:04+.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

LeighDS

Live Free & Run

My 3rd half, I had to stop and stretch out my right calf. It knotted/cramped up like a bastard! Luckily I was at mile 12 so I ran/ power walked the last mile or so. Never had that happen prior and haven't had it happen again *knocks on wood*

At some point we all stop or walk for one reason or another.

PRs

1-Mile - 6:18 on 4-4-2015

5K - 21:48 on 10-31-2015

10K - 47:57 on 10-24-2015

HM - 1:52:36 on 3-25-2017

FULL - 4:41:12 on 1-11-2015

Upcoming Races

Tanger Outlet 5K

Disney World 19.3 Challenge

Race the Runways 10K