Entering Distance for Splits Recorded on Garmin w/ GPS turned off (Read 110 times)

Why are they meaningless? Don't they tell him how fast he was going?

Don't a lot of people consider mile splits to be meaningful in races?

Let me rephrase 200m splits are meaningless to me for 1200 type intervals.

Seriously don't you want to know how fast the entire rep was as easily as possible.  The easiest way to do that is hit the lap button after each rep not each lap. The way he's entering it now you have to do a whole bunch of time based math to get the total time for the rep.

If the whole goal is how can I make this less work I think this makes the most sense.

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

What model watch are you using?

Garmin 305.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Let me rephrase 200m splits are meaningless to me for 1200 type intervals.

Seriously don't you want to know how fast the entire rep was as easily as possible.  The easiest way to do that is hit the lap button after each rep not each lap. The way he's entering it now you have to do a whole bunch of time based math to get the total time for the rep.

If the whole goal is how can I make this less work I think this makes the most sense.

This is true. For log purposes, it would be better if I didn't press the lap button every 200 meters.

But I've found that I use the lap button for two purposes that really help me in the midst of my workout, even if it creates a pain in the ass afterwards as I try to update my log:

1. to keep track of laps; and,
        2. to have an on-going sense of my pace since, with the GPS turned off, I do not have the benefit of a pace display or pace alerts.

Anyway, in my log for this morning's workout (80 laps - 1.5 mile warmup, 7 miles at goal pace, and 1.5 mile cool down) I didn't enter in .125 miles for each lap, but just made a notation in the notes section. That'll suffice, even if it isn't as clean as I'd like it to be. But I really do need to click that lap button each time. It is very easy to lose track of lap count or of lap time/pace by trying to do math in my head so early in the morning.

Thanks, all, for the conversation.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

joescott

Garmin 305.

I completely understand your desire to see your times at the 200m lap points.  Have you considered setting up a data screen on the watch with Lap Time?  This way, you get the best of both worlds, and you don't have to fiddle with the lap button every single time you are coming around past the post.  E.g., suppose you are running 800s and you are trying to hit them in 3:20.  This is 50 seconds per 200.  So, you can glance down at your watch at each 200 to see if you are on pace:  50, 1:40, 2:30, then hit Lap at the end of the 4th 200.  Using Lap Time, on your next rep, you will again see 50, 1:40, 2:30.  And more beautifully, now your Laps as recorded in your watch and eventually uploaded to RA will be the 800 times and you won't have to piece together all those pesky 200s.  Maybe you already understand this, so I apologize if this is not helpful and not what you want, but I actually come across people fairly frequently (including one elite athlete whose name you would recognize) who have never learned how to take advantage of Lap Time for track work like this.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

kcam

I run on an indoor track at times, and when I do so I turn off the GPS and manually press the lap button on my Garmin every time I complete a lap. Later, when I sync my data, I type ".125" into the distance field for each lap ... all 50-70+ of them. That's lots of typing.

Is there a way that I can change the distance field on a workout for every lap with one click or action - a global change?

Thanks.

(Most recent indoor workout is here: http://www.runningahead.com/logs/be3a5922991f4ec9a8678d32a498f2cf/workouts/019ba6eb0b324688bdd1a7fdefb3d3e7)

That's his question .. it's been answered.  Quit trying to make him conform to your version of how an interval workout should be recorded.

At this point it's up to Eric whether or not he is able to, see's enough need to, or wants to add a global lap distance edit feature.  I vote that it's needed.

HermosaBoy

That's his question .. it's been answered.  Quit trying to make him conform to your version of how an interval workout should be recorded.

At this point it's up to Eric whether or not he is able to, see's enough need to, or wants to add a global lap distance edit feature.  I vote that it's needed.

Yup

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I don't think this is relevant to the OP, but if you were running with a GPS watch, the RA workout view can subdivide the laps post facto, enabling you to later see 200m splits of 600m workouts -- subject to the lack of accuracy of GPS watches.

I personally don't tend to look at intervals splits all that much -- especially for shorter intervals. Last night I did 400s, and never looked at any of the splits (final or immediate) when doing them; I just ran as hard as I felt like running. But I did press lap at the start & end of each 400, so I could go back and look at them later, if I wanted to do so.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

joescott

Quit trying to make him conform to your version of how an interval workout should be recorded.

Relax, dude.  I'm not trying to make him conform to anything.  Honestly trying to be helpful even if not directly along the lines of the original question.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

kcam

Ok, relaxed!  BTW it wasn't meant directly at you or any of the posters.  He posted this in the Technical Support forum, not one of the general forums.  I just think his request should stand on it's own and not be dismissed so easily.

eric :)

Hi all,

Sorry for being late to the conversion.  I agree that there should be an easier way to set the values.  I'm not sure how yet, short of redoing that part of the code.  If I am to redo it, I want to understand how everyone use those fields.

eric Smile

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Hi all,

Sorry for being late to the conversion.  I agree that there should be an easier way to set the values.  I'm not sure how yet, short of redoing that part of the code.  If I am to redo it, I want to understand how everyone use those fields.

eric Smile

Thanks, Eric. This website rocks.

This scenario is the only one I can imagine wanting to make a "global change" to the distance values.

If you were to do this, ideally we could select certain laps and apply a distance (and any other quality, such as "type" or "note") to assign to selected laps. If I were to take some of my fellow runners' advice and not press the lap button at every lap, there would be different distance values to enter for different laps ... thus making the "global" change not helpful as an option to select only some laps and apply a change to distance (or type, or note) values to just the selected laps.

Also, I noticed that when I entered .125 in the distance column, it rounded up to .13. For 80 laps, that gets to be a bit of a rounding error. With the possibility that I and others might use this function for a 1/8 mile track, having three decimal places for distance that doesn't get rounded up would be great.

Either way, thanks for joining in the conversation. I appreciate your good work here!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It would also be nifty to select every other lap and convert them to Recovery all at once.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

kcam

It would also be nifty to select every other lap and convert them to Recovery all at once.

Yes.  Or to select a set of two entries (an "interval" and a "recovery") and duplicate it down the list of recorded laps.

eric :)

Also, I noticed that when I entered .125 in the distance column, it rounded up to .13. For 80 laps, that gets to be a bit of a rounding error. With the possibility that I and others might use this function for a 1/8 mile track, having three decimal places for distance that doesn't get rounded up would be great.

The data is stored up to 2 decimal places in the database.  I figure 2 decimal places should be enough for any distance unit, and that if you wish for more precise measurement, you could switch to a different unit.  In your case, 1/8 miles is exactly 220 yards.

eric Smile

I have a related question, Eric.

If you import a workout from your GPS watch with no distance (using it in "indoor mode" for a track workout) and you go to enter the distance for the intervals in meters the log changes it to miles once you save it.

And if you do a workout with GPS turned on and mark your laps manually (for example doing a track workout of 6 x 1000m), if you go back and try to change your intervals from ".63 miles" to "1000 meters", once you save it it reverts to diplaying miles as the units. I think this is because the garmin is set to record in miles so that is what gets imported (whether you were in gps mode or not) and the underlying data can only be in one unit.

My workaround has been to just not import those workouts--I just enter them manually and enter the intervals in meters. Is there any other solution out there? THanks.

Runners run