Dangerous jumps? (Read 583 times)

A lot of you know I'm trying to jump from 30 mpw to 50 mpw, so I can knock out an great marathon in the spring. Keeping in mind the 10% rule, and trying to push together a cutback week every three weeks or so to keep the body recovering - is this too much? This is just kind of a "guess-timate" of what I would need. http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p1CsMqVRpvevhUREFn3EISA I don't wanna get injured, or move up too fast, but I realize that once I hit 50 and linger there, a lot of good can come out of it. So let me know how it looks, or if it looks as though I am headed for the injury prone area, or if it looks good, or maybe you'd do something different. Btw, my long runs will probably be switched to Fridays due to it being my day off, not that it really makes a different. (Also started another thread, because technically, each of my topics are different with the same overall topic...and they keep getting pushed down to the bottom....)

That seems pretty conservative, so you should be fine. I like how you have things mixed up between easy/hard (short/long). The only suggestion that I might have would be to move your medium/long day that you seem to have slated for the beginning of the week more towards the middle of the week, but with a day off you will probably be fine. If you do rearrange, maybe put a shorter day before your long run. All in all, it looks pretty solid and achievable though.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Thanks Blaine. I'm excited about ramping it up, but I have done the rookie mistakes before of jumping too high, too quick, and then got burnt out and had some problems with my knees. I've got a longer run at the beginning of the week because as a youth minister, Wednesdays are busy with church, so I am trying to keep it shorter, but I know I can probably work it a bit better. Again, thanks for the input. Helps greatly.
          I think you are gold...plenty of time to acclimate yourself to 50mpw. Another way to make it easier would be to do those 8+ mile weekdays in doubles, at least until you get acclimated. Probably during marathon training, you'd want to do them in singles though.
          For message board success, follow these three easy steps in the correct order: 1) Read, 2) Comprehend, 3) Post.
            Makers, unless you have a goal race, there is no reason to have a cut back week. (who started that notion btw) Go by the 10% rule, but I trust Daniels training scheme of running a mileage base for three weeks to get acclimated and then bumping up and holding new mileage for three consecutive weeks. But even during that three weeks if all is well, you can still bump by 10 %. Run by feel at some point and not a plan. No need to cut back, but for a race or when life gets in the way.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

When increasing my mileage, isntead of having a "cut back" week, i'd reduce my long run a little bit, and add one mile to my after work runs, then bring the long run back up. Even during the reduced long run week I'd still be gaining miles, but they would seem easier since I started the week ligher than normal. When I went from 50->70 I'd reduce my "daily" runs slightly then add a 7th day, then increase them all back to normal. I'd later pick one day to double up on, then transfer those miles to my daily/medium runs if I was feeling good. As long as you keep it gradual you'll be fine, which you have. If you have time keep in mind doubles may be mandatory for very high mileage, but they are also very useful for easing into the higher mileage levels of us mere mortals. As kevin5k said, splitting those midweek runs can help a lot of things get tough.

Why is it sideways?

Looks like a fine schedule to me. I'm of the camp that says that as long as you are willing to run a little easier, you can make mileage bumps immediately. The problem with building slowly is that the key to running consistent miles is building a habit. I find it much harder to continue to increase my discipline over such a long period of weeks and prefer to get out the door and do it. It's the intensity that causes injury, not volume. So, I'd encourage you to just get there--as soon as this week!--but listen to your body and run easy if you're feeling extra weary. I'd just hate to see your motivation fizzle before you realize how easy and natural it is to do it. But as they say, different strokes for different folks.
                  I'd just hate to see your motivation fizzle before you realize how easy and natural it is to do it. But as they say, different strokes for different folks.
                  I figure as long as I am making up the schedule as I go, given that I feel great this week, I can flex my options and make a change to increase as much as I want next week. I am used to running my regular training at around 8:20-8:30 pace. Today, I honestly tried to stick at about 8:50, but found myself consistently at 8:40 (and felt great there, too.) Tomorrow, for 8 miles, I plan on 8:45-8:55 again, so we'll see. But I plan on staying much slower than normal training so I can easily make this jump, and God willing, I can hit 50 mpw sooner than what I have planned given that I just stay careful. Thanks all. If anything at all, you guys have increased my motivation by encouraging me to continue with what I have come up with. Makes me confident that I know what I am doing a little bit better, as well as the fact that this is already well within reach. Now, I just have to find out what pace I want to go out in the marathon for...of course, I only have 26 weeks left.