Mental Health & Running (Read 155 times)

chickenrunner

Hi all.  I have some mental health issues that I've been trying to help with running.  I've read some studies which say that running can help depression.  I go for a run most mornings, anywhere from 3-6 miles before work.  On the weekends, I try to get in a longer run, a couple of hours on the trails.  I really don't think it's helping at all.  My main issue, I think, is depression.  Although, I also have some anger issues and have been told in the past that I could possibly have some anxiety and PTSD.  As I type this, it sounds like a lot of bullshit that I just want to say doesn't exist.  But, if I'm honest, it really affects my life.

Does anyone else here deal with similar issues?  Has running improved your mental health?

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I believe distance running benefits mild cases of "low moods".  If you're clinically depressed, i don't think it's going to solve your problem.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Just a dude.

I have been dealing with depression most of my life. Running has definitely helped with that. For me, running doesn't make me happy, but it does keep me away from getting bad. It kinda keeps me even.

Running also gives me time to just be with myself. Let my mind wander or whatever. Sometimes I can see roots to triggers or behaviors that mess me up.

I've recently been injured and had to take almost 2 months off. During that time, I was reminded of how much it has been helping.

I don't have much experience with PTSD or anxiety, so I don't know if I can speak to those at all...

PM me if you want to talk...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

GinnyinPA

Exercise can help depression and anxiety, but it may take medication or talk therapy as well to get you healthy/happy.  Talk to your physician and get recommendations.  If you're a Vet, talk to someone at the VA who understands and can help.  You don't have to do it alone.

Marylander

An important point, that you touch on, is that it is a real thing. Mental health issues are belittled all the time such that folks with them feel like they're not real, "it's all in your head", etc. While it may just be in your that doesn't mean it isn't real. Face the fact that it's real and deal with it. Running, or even just walking, can help for sure - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUaInS6HIGo

kilkee

runktrun

I've read a number of articles that link running (or some prolonged endurance exercise) with improved mood due to changes in brain chemicals and function, and anecdotally, I think a lot of runners would back that up.  As Ginny mentions, though, true depression likely can't be cured by running alone.  You say you've been running regularly - did you feel worse before your started, or has your depressed mood always coincided with your running?  I'm wondering if it might be helping a bit, just to keep you kinda even keeled, and if you possibly would feel worse if you stop running?

My own personal experience with trauma and subclinical depression has shown that running certainly helped me find my way back twice, but is not a replacement for an obsessive behavior or purely a coping mechanism.  I was pretty intensely anorexic for a brief period of time in high school, and I found my desire to pursue developing my natural talent in distance running helped me cut the crap and see things differently.  Though a lot of people say anorexics are never really cured, I would say I am as I definitely remember what it was like, but can't fathom every behaving like that again.  Life is too much fun to obsess about controlling my food and weight Smile  Second downer period was when I was in a really abusive "relationship" (he wasn't even a boyfriend, but a college classmate that completely manipulated me) that essentially amounted to repeated rape.  Yup, years and many miles later, that's what I realized it was and I realized it wasn't my fault.  So I can kinda relate to the possible PTSD.  I was left feeling dirty, embarrassed, disgusted by my own sexuality, ashamed, damaged, unable to talk about it, disconnected from who I really was...  Part of the solution was learning to love myself again by appreciating what my body COULD do...through running, and sorting through thoughts and emotions while by myself.  10 years later (abuse went from spring 2004 to spring 2006), I am still experiencing moments of paralysis and random emotional breakdowns, but running helps me feel normal, connect with others, reminds me that so many other people are also dealing with their own struggles... I just love the rhythm of the movement and being outside (though I will hit the treadmill to accomplish a workout, if needed).  Plus, there's the simple endorphin boost, followed by the happiness that is a post run bagel and coffee Smile

I'm happy to go into more detail and don't mind talking about my experiences.  I hope you find some balance and happiness!  Keep reaching out to people for help!

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Ostrich runner

It helps me, but I often am only really cognizant of that when I am running frequently. Enjoyable running is predicated by frequency and continuity. It isn't going to reveal itself to anyone quickly. It becomes ritual, and for some and maybe similar to religion, that can provide meaning. For others, it might also provide some sort of catharsis or redemptive suffering. Some run towards things and others away. To run as much as you are, you must be getting something out of it. With the paralysis and anhedonia of depression, that you are doing it is independently significant. Regardless of any of the words I've just spilled out, you're already a runner, and just asking runners whether running helps. The answer is always going to be yes. Runners run, and others wonder how. Keep going, and you always have that.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

haroldjiii

run, rest & read

Physical activity of any sort helps me with my depression, the higher the intensity the better. Running doesn't give me quite the intensity I need, at least without injuring myself, so I do strength training as well to get that. Hiking has also helped a lot; there's research that shows being out in nature helps quite a bit. Before I started exercising, I self-medicated by smoking a lot of pot. Exercise has definitely got me over that.

Meditation also helps a lot. I use an app called Calm once or twice a day and that works wonders for my mental state. Keep trying different things and don't be shy of going to a professional to see what they can do. I've never been able to stick with one, but I've gotten good pointers.

Most importantly, don't hold it in. It's real and trying to paper over it won't do a thing.

Ostrich runner

Keep trying different things and don't be shy of going to a professional to see what they can do. I've never been able to stick with one, but I've gotten good pointers.

As a bit of an aside, there is a fairly common misconception about treatment, both medical and counseling based. It is fine and often good to only go for a bit, learn some new tools or break through a decompensation of symptoms, and then move on.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

I have a bit of an obsessive personality, I won't say OCD because it's not that bad.  But there is also a lot of depression in my family, and I have a hard time staying positive sometimes.  Again, I won't say I have depression because it's not that bad.  I do have struggles with an eating disorder, and with my obsessive tendencies sometimes I get a bit out of control when it comes to weight loss.  I came to a deal with myself, because I really, really enjoy running (it turns off all the voices) that I eat so I can run.  I can't run if I don't eat.  Like, physically cannot do it lol.

Running is more important to me than my eating disorder.  I've learned to worry less about what my belly looks like, and to take pleasure in how far my legs can carry me.  Now I just have to be careful not to run so much that I hurt myself, which was what took me out of the last half of 2014.  And like was mentioned before, that time of forced rest was a trial, and it went a long way to reminding me that I NEED to be able to run.

Leah, mother of dogs

chickenrunner

Thanks everyone for sharing.  My issues with mental health are embarrassing, and I think you are all brave for coming forward.

I think that when I started running 4 years ago, it helped my depression.  I always felt great; happy and energetic.  I thought that I had escaped from my previous problems.  Then, it started to creep back in.  This past year has been really bad, and I've made some poor decisions.  Through it all, I've kept running, mostly on trails.  There are weeks when I don't run at all, don't do much at all other than the very basic necessities of going to work and caring for my family, all the while having awful thoughts of self-harm, and being very short-tempered with those I care most about.

Anyway, thanks again, everyone, for your insight and willingness to share.

GinnyinPA

Don't be embarrassed.  You aren't alone in this.  Really.

I have had issues with depression since college.  Some periods are much worse than others, but it is always there in the background.  Running and hiking help a lot, but they don't always keep me sane.  I can feel great while I run, but three hours later be feeling suicidal.  But I have those hours when I do feel good to fall back on.  I know that my life can be good, that I can be happy, that I can feel total peace and serenity.  It helps during the bad times.  I feel such a difference on the days I don't run or hike, it keeps me motivated to get out there.  The worst was getting injured, and being unable to run for several months.  But again, I had the memories of the good times, and enough knowledge of past bad times to know that it would get better if I was patient.  I also started looking for other ways to get the good feelings besides running ,eating or drinking.

keeponrunning

I'm admittedly having a hard time putting this into words, but here goes nothing...

I've struggled with major depression, generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety disorder, and a bit of PTSD for almost 5 years now (4 since I was diagnosed and started treatment).  I will be the first to say that running does help in a lot of ways.  It gives me time to think, clear my head, figure out problems/solutions, and just be by myself with nature.  Plus, running does release the "feel good" chemicals in your brain.  However, running alone will not cure mental illnesses.  I've been on medication for four years, and I can safely say without those I would likely be dead.  I've also made huge gains with therapy which has been vital to helping keep me on an even keel and sort through issues.  If you feel you may be depressed, please, reach out and get help.  I was in the lowest spot humanly possible when I first reached out, and I am very glad I did.  There is nothing to be embarrassed about.  Feel free to PM me if you want more details.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022